Majik Forest Access

Rapunzel

All the gates are still open for now as far as I'm aware.

Yip, was there Friday afternoon, still open.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Only open from 07:00 to 19:00. No tags.

Surely they can't lock the public out and create a private concervancy to roam in during sunrise and sunset for the people living inside the fence. It cant be legal to treat the same taxpayers differently?

The latest update regarding the Saga... Anecdotal evidence as it stands. Gates were supposed to be locked from 10 Oct. On 2 remaining open from 7am to 7 pm - and according to this that's not even happening...

Council says they only received 2 Objection letters.... Well of those 2 mine was one then....

post-30139-0-02777700-1413364274_thumb.jpg

The latest update regarding the Saga... Anecdotal evidence as it stands. Gates were supposed to be locked from 10 Oct. On 2 remaining open from 7am to 7 pm - and according to this that's not even happening...

Council says they only received 2 Objection letters.... Well of those 2 mine was one then....

They are talking crap saying they only received two letters.  It is the obvious lazy response from a lazy dept who could only come up with a lazy solution to vagrants by just locking the gates, and now they are also too lazy to stick to the times of 7am to 7pm.  I wrote to them again this morning, escalating the matter to the DA in the area.

I previously wrote 2 letters to object adn a 3rd for them to reconcider.  Today was the fourth time.  Several people on FB were saying they wrote letters.

Edited by Jacques Lotriet

They are talking crap saying they only received two letters.  It is the obvious lazy response from a lazy dept who could only come up with a lazy solution to vagrants by just locking the gates, and now they are also too lazy to stick to the times of 7am to 7pm.  I wrote to them again this morning, escalating the matter to the DA in the area.

I previously wrote 2 letters to object adn a 3rd for them to reconcider.  Today was the fourth time.  Several people on FB were saying they wrote letters.

Yes I figured that on the 2 letters was BS BUT the TBMtb Club has over 3000 Members - I get council ignoring the Correspondence from the Club committee but if all the members opened their mouths and wrote letters when this first became an issue I can't see us being at this impasse.

Such BS...I live on the Forest...it is literally my back door. This locking business defo has its pro's and con;s but access for us needs to be maintained. It doesn't really affect me as i can ride anyway even if they are all locked, but still man ! :(

There was apparently a burglary in Klein Welgemoed 1 the other night where people forced entry through the Trellidoor using an axe (no certain on the details)...so things are heating up so to speak...But why don't the cops just come and remove the vagrants...Although I doubt it is the "resident  bergies" causing the crime issues...Don't cr@p where you sleep so to speak  :cursing:

Yes I figured that on the 2 letters was BS BUT the TBMtb Club has over 3000 Members - I get council ignoring the Correspondence from the Club committee but if all the members opened their mouths and wrote letters when this first became an issue I can't see us being at this impasse.

I see on the club's FB they want to put together a collective response to the counsil.  Let's hope it works.

We are putting together another letter from the club but again folks, we are counted as one voice although we represent over 3000 cyclists.

Sorry to have to state the obvious, but if more people had taken 5min to type a letter of objection when this thread was started then we'd have avoided this unfortunate situation.

If we have a problem with crime in our residential area, we can't expect council to pay to put a fence around it to keep us safe and I don't see why majik forest should be any different.

Are they then going to fence off doordekraal dam and then the kenridge greenbelts? This could set a presidence for other open space to please guys - speak up!!

We are putting together another letter from the club but again folks, we are counted as one voice although we represent over 3000 cyclists.

Sorry to have to state the obvious, but if more people had taken 5min to type a letter of objection when this thread was started then we'd have avoided this unfortunate situation.

If we have a problem with crime in our residential area, we can't expect council to pay to put a fence around it to keep us safe and I don't see why majik forest should be any different.

Are they then going to fence off doordekraal dam and then the kenridge greenbelts? This could set a presidence for other open space to please guys - speak up!!

I, and I am sure many others, understand the reason for the fence.  The club should therefore consider their approach, ie we buy into the fence and locked gates, we are simply asking for (1). perhaps extended hours for the gates to open at 6am and to ensure that the gates are always accessible during these hours - at the moment they are locked, and (2).  For the pedestrian gate at the bottom of the forest by Jip de Jager parking to be included.  If this gate will cost money, we as a club can have a fundraiser and pay for it.

I, and I am sure many others, understand the reason for the fence.  The club should therefore consider their approach, ie we buy into the fence and locked gates, we are simply asking for (1). perhaps extended hours for the gates to open at 6am and to ensure that the gates are always accessible during these hours - at the moment they are locked, and (2).  For the pedestrian gate at the bottom of the forest by Jip de Jager parking to be included.  If this gate will cost money, we as a club can have a fundraiser and pay for it.

the club would require a minimum of 2 gates to retain the access to the singletrack we've had in the past. The opening of the gates from 7am to 7pm is temporary until the access tags are operational. Even in a capacity as a member, I have a problem with the club having to spend R70 000 (or more) to put in gates so people can access public open space so that a select few residents can have improved security. Added to this, the club would probably also have to pay for repair or replacement to the gates if vandalised.

We're hoping that the latest influx of complaints will cause the council to revisit the decision and find a more suitable solution with better public participation.

Cant someone just rock up with a pair of bolt cutters and just remove said padlocks, do this until someone gives up with padlocks? Obviously only cut the padlock between 07:00 and 19:00

Cant someone just rock up with a pair of bolt cutters and just remove said padlocks, do this until someone gives up with padlocks? Obviously only cut the padlock between 07:00 and 19:00

No Need. The fence is fairly "soft". Its easily bent or broken using a crowbar or piece of stout wood. The fence has already been broken in a few places since they locked the gates and the bergies have free access. It will only be a day or two until there are enough openings large enough to get a bike through. 

Edited by stratus5

I also wrote to council a few months back about how the "lockdown" would only benefit a few people.Other than a e mail reply to confirm that my mail was noted,i had no response whatever from council.

Till today,i am still under the impression that someone,somewhere in some department,is not following the right protocol in dealing with this issue.This issue needs the attention of someone in city management on a higher level.

Was planning to go ride today after work, but am I correct in saying from what I read here that gates are closed/locked so I wont be able to get in?

All gates are apparently locked 24hrs this week so police can clear the place out...At least thats according to the email I received from our body corporate....

All gates are apparently locked 24hrs this week so police can clear the place out...At least thats according to the email I received from our body corporate....

Oh poo... Ok, Meerendal then...

Thanks