Cycling Lanes are coming to Johannesburg

Catatonic_Joe

On the 12th of May 2014, JUCA members attended the Cycle Jozi Forum. This meeting is held every two months so that interested individuals and organisations can share information and coordinate actions on promoting commuter cycling in Johannesburg.

During this meeting a presentation was delivered by a representative from the City of Johannesburg’s Transportation Department. JUCA was very pleased to note that thanks to the leadership of the Mayor of Johannesburg – Mpho Parks Tau – four cycling lanes andJUCA’s wayfinding project are fully financed and in development. The first lane is due to be complete next month – June 2014. You can read more about the City of Johannesburg’s commitments here: Cycle lane projects progress may 14-1

The cycling lanes will traverse many corners of the City including Orange Farm, the “corridor” between the University of Johannesburg and University of Witwatersrand, Ivory Park, and Soweto. Preliminary designs suggest that these will be high quality routes which will offer cyclists safer riding experiences. JUCA calls on the City to ensure that where these planned cycle routes travel on or cross busy roadways, they are protected. Ideally the cycle lanes should be physically protected from vehicles to offer the calmest riding experience to all users – children, students, pensioners, fast paced business executives… everyone!

The JUCA wayfinding project is a physical manifestation of the JUCA map of routes that experienced commuter cyclists have identified as being as safe as possible. These are routes that do not necessarily need protected bicycling facilities since they feature low traffic volumes or are already traffic calmed via speed bumps and other measures. In some other cases however, the routes will need additional street redesign solutions to make them safer for cyclists. The JUCA route map consists of about 120 kilometers. The network links high density, lower-income residential areas to economic hubs, student residence areas to university campuses, residential areas to parks.

These routes will be made visible by signs noting direction and distance posted on the side of streets at regular intervals. Cyclists will be able to move quickly and reliably along a route without wasting time getting lost, stopping to read a map, or asking for directions. Furthermore motorists will be aware that cyclists will be traveling on these routes and will therefore need to pay more attention.

This is fantastic progress and we would like to applaud the City of Johannesburg for the work done so far. We look forward to seeing all of these plans realised.

Source: http://www.juca.org.za/?p=370

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the maps, seems like I might benefit from these as there's a planned route that goes from Auckland Park all the way to Rosebank, not the shortest route. But at least it's something.

Guest notmyname

As much as these will be welcome, just another new lane for the the F..ing Taxis to drive down.

Ain't that the sad truth.

As much as these will be welcome, just another new lane for the the F..ing Taxis to drive down.
Ain't that the sad truth.

At least it's a step in the right direction...

That's what you all said when Cape Town announced the cycle path from Table View into town >>> and look at how successful that's been , never seen a taxi or vehicle of any sort on the cycle path ! - the best pressie CT ever gave me - now I commute safely 5 times a week !

Those lanes in the middle of the road out near UJ that were put in for busses - are taxis allowed to drive on them or just proper busses? There's a small angled kerb between the road and the lane, but the taxis seem to get over it pretty easily.

Words taken straight out of my mouth.

They cannot even control the bastards driving in the yellow lanes, how the hell will they stop them from riding in our cycle lanes.

Im not taking the great initiative away, we just need law enforcement that WORKS.

If you get caught breaking the law, impound the vehicles until the fines are paid... written fines never get paid

Guest notmyname

I couldn't agree more. The development of the cycle lanes is long overdue my question is... How will they be policed? I hate to sound negative but I'm under the impression that jhb drivers are the some of the least law abiding in SA. I heard on 702 that the current fine for operating a mobile device while driving in the United Kingdom is £1000. There is now talk of increasing that to a nut busting £3000. Can you imagine the amount funds generated should this model be applied in SA...

I couldn't agree more. The development of the cycle lanes is long overdue my question is... How will they be policed? I hate to sound negative but I'm under the impression that jhb drivers are the some of the least law abiding in SA. I heard on 702 that the current fine for operating a mobile device while driving in the United Kingdom is £1000. There is now talk of increasing that to a nut busting £3000. Can you imagine the amount funds generated should this model be applied in SA...

"It's only ever as positive as you make it"

• 1 month later...

And here they are:

BskJewxIgAA5RiD.jpg

Well at least the hon. Mayor, MEC and assorted big cheeses got some press pics out of it

BskgMNhCUAAcuHB.jpg

And here they are:

BskJewxIgAA5RiD.jpg

Well at least the hon. Mayor, MEC and assorted big cheeses got some press pics out of it

BskgMNhCUAAcuHB.jpg

Saw that photo this morning on twitter. Bus-porshe-taxi. No bicycles. That photo is apparently in jorissen street joburg. I don't feel safe driving there, why would I ride there?

The MEC et al are facing the wrong direction

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f17/796391d1345422890-first-dye-job-epic-fail-facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-1310644617.jpg