Momsen warranty experience ?

Schoemie

Bought a new GP 500 online and noticed a problem with the saddle when unboxing it.

My warranty claim posted on the Momsen website:

Saddle rails are loose where THEY join the back of the under side of the

SADDLE

Their response to me via email:

We've checked a few saddles on the bikes we have in stock and this is

normal.

The rails have been fitted into the back of the saddle, but not bonded into

place in these inserts.

So Momsen have convinced themselves that loose saddle rails are normal. I'm honestly speechless.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a new GP 500 online and noticed a problem with the saddle when unboxing it.

SADDLE

normal.

place in these inserts.

So Momsen have convinced themselves that loose saddle rails are normal. I'm honestly speechless.

I never used the Momsen saddle my bike came with, it looked savage so I put my Gobi on and put that Momsen one in the cupboard...!

Maybe take that saddle down to a decent LBS and see what they say....?

Yeah it's not a great saddle but it's about the principle. I'd expect a working saddle on a new bike.

SADDLE

normal.

place in these inserts.

Wait till it starts to creak.

SADDLE

normal.

place in these inserts.

Saddle rails are not normally bonded into the plastic - press fitted - if you buy a Sella Italia saddle they can replace broken rails - only ever done that once myself,

• 7 months later...

Bought a new GP 500 online in March and have ridden it for 75 hours in the 8 months I've had it. The back wheel bearings are already creaking and 5 spokes have broken.

The 1st spoke was repaired by my LBS and lasted a month until another 2 spokes snapped. I then decided it was time for a warranty claim but it was rejected. Not only did they reject it, they also recommended that I get the whole wheel rebuilt and the hub serviced at my cost. I decided to take it back to my LBS for the rebuild and hub service. They took the tyre off to start with the rebuild and another 2 spokes snapped in the process.

In 30 years of cycling, this has got to be the worst wheel I've ever had and the poor warranty cover has not made it a pleasant experience.

The only way I'll buy another Momsen is if this bike gives me 5 years of hassle free, maintenance only service from now on.

Holding thumbs!

Edited by ggierke
Ended up replacing the whole back wheel. No spares available for OEM hub. Chucked the whole wheel away. Been happily riding on a much better built, inexpensive wheel for years.

Bought a new GP 500 online in March and have ridden it for 75 hours in the 8 months I've had it. The back wheel bearings are already creaking and 5 spokes have broken.

The 1st spoke was repaired by my LBS and lasted a month until another 2 spokes snapped. I then decided it was time for a warranty claim but it was rejected. Not only did they reject it, they also recommended that I get the whole wheel rebuilt and the hub serviced at my cost. I decided to take it back to my LBS for the rebuild and hub service. They took the tyre off to start with the rebuild and another 2 spokes snapped in the process.

In 30 years of cycling, this has got to be the worst wheel I've ever had and the poor warranty cover has not made it a pleasant experience.

The only way I'll buy another Momsen is if this bike gives me 5 years of hassle free, maintenance only service from now on.

Holding thumbs!

Hmmm not a great experience, but I think it is pretty common. Many manufacturers save on costs when it comes to wheels/hubs/spokes. My Scott Scale 960 hardtail also only did a few km's before one spoke decided to bend. I assume it is probably made of bloudraad.

Was not even bothered to contact the dealer I purchased it from or Scott themselves as the dealer is in CT and I am in JHB, plus it is a MTB and I was thinking they will likely tell me it is wear and tear, or due to the terain I ride.

Hopefully your wheels will now last after the rebuild.

The 1st spoke was repaired by my LBS and lasted a month until another 2 spokes snapped. I then decided it was time for a warranty claim but it was rejected. Not only did they reject it, they also recommended that I get the whole wheel rebuilt and the hub serviced at my cost. I decided to take it back to my LBS for the rebuild and hub service. They took the tyre off to start with the rebuild and another 2 spokes snapped in the process.

In 30 years of cycling, this has got to be the worst wheel I've ever had and the poor warranty cover has not made it a pleasant experience.

The only way I'll buy another Momsen is if this bike gives me 5 years of hassle free, maintenance only service from now on.

Holding thumbs!

Good luck. Also make sure you buy spare replacement hangers. Had a problem with the original one on a Gp300 and same old story that they never had a problem before and "don't know what to say".Will never support them again.