What came first? The C(hicken)amber or The E(gg)pic? ( A long, probably boring read!)

L.T.G

So....

I’m sure this isn't the first time this has come up

But I've reached a point of desperation here...

I simply cannot decide.

I need feedback on long(er) term experience.

I’ve decided to get myself a 29'er after a couple years on my awesome Trek EX9.

I'm going the Spez route, it’s just a matter of either Camber or Epic Comp Carbon.

Both bikes get rave reviews, besides one or two minor things, eg:- brakes on the Camber.

First time I rode an Epic ( Expert) was at the lower part of the DaggaPad route at Van Gaalens, out on a out test ride with my mate(Shaun).

He had the bike most of the 25km route we rode, I was only on it for about 3km, but didn’t like it one bit.

I was on my EX9 and couldn’t wait to get back on it and off the Epic.

He, however loved it. A week later he bought an Epic Elite, same bike just not carbon rims.

I Took a Camber out a week later and really, really enjoyed it.

I rode the concrete road, DaggaPad etc at Van Gaalens and rode the route much better than I did on my EX9 the week before.

My mind was pretty much made till Shaun convinced to at least try the Epic once more again…

I did… and ARGH…. Really liked it too!

Did the River and Greek Church at Van Gaalens, felt one with the bike as I did the the Camber, 2 weeks prior.

As the line in the verse from Live’s Lightening Crashes goes….. “The confusion set in…….” WT ef Now??

I took the Camber out again today.. once again , amazing….

granted no Brain (which by the way is just mind blowingly good) like the Epic.

So what do I do? Which do I decide on?

which should come first?

Chicken or Egg?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch this thread with interest cos I'm in much the same boat . . .

Although I'm trying to decide between Epic, Camber or Giant 27.5 Avalanche . . .

I had exactly the same conundrum.

I arrived at my decision as follows:

1. What is the goal I want to achieve with my bike?

- for me it was to enjoy and improve my multi-stage races. Here the Epic wins hands down because of the brain and the easier ride it provides over long periods in the saddle.

2. What type of riding am I most likely to do?

- at the moment it is most likely to be trail riding of not more than 2 hours. Here the Camber is a better option. However, as my training time increases and the rides start exceeding 3 hours, the Epic starts taking the lead again.

3. Is the difference between the Epic and the Camber that big on shorter trail rides to give up to comforts of the Epic for longer rides and multi-stage races?

- IMHO no. The Camber was slightly nippier, until I started getting used to the Epic. Once I got used to the Epic and a 29er, I am easily beating times in tight technician sections were, theoretically, I should have been better on my 26er or the Camber.

It then became a very easy decision for me.... Epic all the way!

What was a tougher decision was deciding between the Expert or the Comp Carbon (at that stage I didn't know the Elite was available). The Comp Carbon comes with mostly XT groupset. BUT, it doesn't have the front brain or carbon wheels. I was also unsure about the brakes on the Comp Carbon, and the SLX shifters were a step back from my current XT shifters. The Expert has the XTR rear derallieur and carbon wheels.

I then discovered the Elite version. It has an X0 (XTR equivalent) RD, X9 (XT equivalent) shifters, and the same brakes at on the Expert. It also has the front brain which was a big seller for me. The only thing it didn't have was the carbon wheels, which I can always upgrade in time.

So I jumped at the Epic Elite and have loved every second in the saddle. If fact, instead of replying to this thread I should be getting ready for my next ride... first ride at the Hero Trail at Heia. Feel like a kid on Christmas every time I take my elite on a new trail!

Eenie, meenie, miney, mo.......catch your banker by his toe (just don't use the naughty version or you'll get in trouble)........whatever he hollers, will let you know! :D

Edited by DJR

I watch this thread with interest cos I'm in much the same boat . . .

Although I'm trying to decide between Epic, Camber or Giant 27.5 Avalanche . . .

The Giants currently pretty much beats everything else to a bloody pulp in the value for money department.

Epic for sure, had my Camber for 18 months, loved it, then rode a 2014 Epic and realized what I had been missing. Epic is lighter, faster and the brain system is easier than the ctd on the camber. If you liked both the Camber and Epic 29ers, dont bother with 27,5 wheels, you will hate it, like I did.

One thing I can add is unfortunately you need to get the more expensive versions of the Epic. The 2 cheapest ones dont have the brain fork in front, only the rear. This makes the bike feel very unbalanced, and twitchy. You need the brain front and rear. Expert, Marathon and S-works versions.

ive had an s-works epic for a year now. my first 29er. i didnt look at anything else for reasons i wont bother with.

been living in stellenbosch since dec and kept meaning to hire a camber to ride at jonkershoek but haven't got round to it. today is my last day there and I'm off to hire one shortly. should be interesting, just wish it wasnt pouring rain...

I'd say your riding goals would dictate which bike. I race and the epic was for racing so camber wouldn't have even come into the equation.

Thanks guys for the feedback so far...

Seems like, contrary to online reviews raving about the Camber, the Epic is winning hands down,providing it's an Elite upwards.

If that is the route I go, the next question I need to ask myself, do I deserve it?

at close on 60K that's 20 more than the Camber CC and about 15 more than the Epic CC ( which is a pointless option now considering it has no front Brain and will feel nothing like what I experienced on the Expert )

I don't to that many races/events, but next year I'll be doing the ,most of the Nissans again, Berg&Bush, Sani (if the MTB gods answer MTB prayers) so that's something I need to consider to.

I'm also in the process of upgrading on the SS front and building up a Momsen STR so I need to watch how I'm spending my ZARs.

I also won't be getting something for the sake of getting something new, it's either right or it's not...

So right now it's Camber CC (40K) Vs Epic Elite (just under 60K)Chicken or Egg???? :huh: ( I guess I'm also not comparing apples with apples in this reagard, but that's what it's boiling down to)

I can't see the Camber Expert being that different to the CC, so I'm not even considering it.

first ride at the Hero Trail at Heia. Feel like a kid on Christmas every time I take my elite on a new trail!

Hey Grant,

side note.. how was your ride at Heia?

I rode the Red Route on the Camber yesterday, very nice new extension on it with the lookout spot over the dam.

Thanks guys for the feedback so far...

Seems like, contrary to online reviews raving about the Camber, the Epic is winning hands down,providing it's an Elite upwards.

If that is the route I go, the next question I need to ask myself, do I deserve it?

at close on 60K that's 20 more than the Camber CC and about 15 more than the Epic CC ( which is a pointless option now considering it has no front Brain and will feel nothing like what I experienced on the Expert )

I don't to that many races/events, but next year I'll be doing the ,most of the Nissans again, Berg&Bush, Sani (if the MTB gods answer MTB prayers) so that's something I need to consider to.

I'm also in the process of upgrading on the SS front and building up a Momsen STR so I need to watch how I'm spending my ZARs.

I also won't be getting something for the sake of getting something new, it's either right or it's not...

So right now it's Camber CC (40K) Vs Epic Elite (just under 60K)Chicken or Egg???? :huh: ( I guess I'm also not comparing apples with apples in this reagard, but that's what it's boiling down to)

I can't see the Camber Expert being that different to the CC, so I'm not even considering it.

If that's what you're riding, I'd go camber. More capable in the rough stuff and with the price difference you can upgrade the fork to a Pike, which is light years ahead of any brain equipped fork.

If that's what you're riding, I'd go camber. More capable in the rough stuff and with the price difference you can upgrade the fork to a Pike, which is light years ahead of any brain equipped fork.

Dislike :thumbdown: . Sies man, moenie so lieg op n Sondag nie. :whistling: .

Hahaha... not lying at all. I far prefer the RCT 3 setup of the Pike, as well as the damper, to the proprietary complexity of the brain stuff.

Suppose so, apples to pears. My new Stumpy Fsr I am buying has the Pike. I will hopefully then be able to tell you if you were correct.

But buying a Camber is def not a bad idea. In fact, its a great idea. If the Epic was not on the market, I would still have my Camber, they are that close. Camber a little big bigger, and longer, Epic a little lighter and smaller. Such small differences its crazy. But I do prefer the brain, thats why I am buying a stumpy fsr as my second bike. Strange that Spez does not equip the camber with brain. Maybe 2015.

Edited by Johny Bravo