MTN Giro del Capo - Stage 4 Live Feed

bigcheeze

Hunter, Van Ruitenbeek & Crawford first up Helshoogte.  Hunter & Van Ruitenbeek currently leading, Crawford about a minute behind and the peloton chasing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just confirmed that Van Ruitenbeek took third KOM with Hunter in second place (currently suffering from puncture).  Morkov 3rd. 

55sec gap.

Last lap in progress.

Race finished 20min ago. Didn't come back together. A rider on the Belgian national team won. Sorry, no name from my contact.

Thanks Sean' date=' I believe he is a German but not sure which team he rides for.[/quote']

Google: Germany's Team Kuota-Senges contains Giro veterans Malaya van Ruitenbeek and Bjorn Glasner. After coming third in the fifth stage of the 2007 Giro, Van Ruitenbeek will once again have his sights set on a strong performance.

Also Google:

Name:     Malaya

Family name:     Van Ruitenbeek

Nationality:     The Netherlands

THis is what I heard:

Malaya van Ruitenbeek and Robbie were in break.  Robbie punctured and then got caught by bunch.  MvR was caught shortly afterwards but held on for third.  Leading bunch split quite a bit on the final climb.

I can only assume from previous post it was the belgium national that won.

1.  Cornu (surprise!)

2.  Sabido

3.  Van Ruitenbeek

GC - Pfannenberger (01'04" lead)

KOM:  Hunter

U/23:  J.v.Rensburg

We also were told only 4 laps. Robbie sprinted 4 the line, was told to do another lap. Ended behind the chasing bunch. Alexander and Phen came down hard after 2nd lap. Alex in hospital. Phen finished the race with broken cleats. Jason punctured a few times. TCS took some hard knocks today.

Stood at the end of the first steep bit of Helshoogte (and it was always supposed to be 5 ascents of Helshoogte, the initial ascent and then four laps from the top according to the race bible).  First ascent the 8-man breakaway was intact...

20080307_063432_Photo-0036.jpg

and on the second ascent Robbie attacked, breaking up the group....

20080307_063502_Photo-0037.jpg

By the start of the third ascent only Robbie and van Ruitenbeeck was left (and then I had to rush back to work....Thumbs%20Down)