hard work and determination or natural ability

Stretch

the amusing thing about this thread is one or two who dont have the gene enabling them to think out of their little world view. that's the read picture here. shame. That's perhaps the biggest difference between those who actually achieve and those who dont: single mindedness despite the theoretical limitations: they don't give in to the negative types.

Oscar, LA and Tiger agree with you and like your post

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that you use that turn of phrase. I think there's a huge amount of narcissism that goes along with being a top sportsman.

I read an article in a magazine that basically intimated that people like Max Biaggi and Michael Schumacher are sociopaths and need that single mindedness and drive to basically stand on others heads to become champions.

I think its part of shutting out any negativity, hell, any sort of influence that could detract from the goal. Just cos they are the sporting elite, doesn't mean they have the necessary ppl skills. Few great minds, or sportsmen and women alike, are great embassadors. Mr Min is one of the few that seems to carry the burden of greatness well. Fabien Barel is another that comes to mind. But if they dont have that gene, good manners can be taught, if they willing to accept some humility. Some just seem to refuse it.

Narcissism/single mindedness/extreme focus. Whatever we want to call it, i think its necessary.

You two have described 95 % of the top sportsmen here.

I think that Gary Player is another exception.

Interesting that you use that turn of phrase. I think there's a huge amount of narcissism that goes along with being a top sportsman.

I read an article in a magazine that basically intimated that people like Max Biaggi and Michael Schumacher are sociopaths and need that single mindedness and drive to basically stand on others heads to become champions.

Compare two of the Z-Boys: Jay Adams and Tony Alves. Everyone agreed that the former was the most innately talented. The latter rose to the top of his sport through talent and a huuuuuuuuuge ego.

Edited by Tumbleweed