Down Hill PTA/JHB

Charl de villiers

I’ve just bought myself a specialized big hit and I'm keen on DH. I’m totally new in the DH scene and would like to know about places in PTA area where to get the hang of my new bike.

I went to track 139 and realized how much I need to learn before attempting all the jumps! What a cool place though!

Can anyone give me tips on where DH beginners have to start or join other DH riders in the area.

Charl de Villiers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join Mountainbikers do it downhill of FB, they are always hitting Thaba Trails near Alberton, Track 139 is actully not so bad, Thaba have a short DH track and that thing is brutal, it will kill you! Thaba is still busy building the 'main' track. And there is Helderkruin, bike I wasn't there before

Where is 139?

Near Exit 139 on the N1 Highway in PTA. I have never ridden it before but hear that it is a toughie.

For the best intro to DH, go and ride Helderkruin. It is great for learning on.

I'm a very inexperienced rider but I bought a DH bike in March and I've ridden Thaba, 139 and Cascades with the bike so far. Of all of those I would recommend a weekend at Cascades if you want to build your confidence up. There are a lot of fast and flowy sections interspersed with rock gardens that have enough line options for you to choose how challenging you want it to be. There are also numerous tabletops, gaps and drops of varying sizes so you can really choose what you want to hit depending on your ability and it is easy to progress gradually to the next challenge.

I've only ridden the Thaba short track and it is a lot of fun but very short. A run there will be 50 seconds or less then you need to push again.

139 is also good fun but you will need to hit a few intimidating obstacles if you want to piece the run together. The top section is a good introduction with two small doubles that aren't too hard and the switchback berms in the middle are good fun. The rock garden at the bottom is also a decent exercise. The problem is that all of these sections are punctuated by a very intimidating Gap-Table-Drop then a heavily knuckled gap jump that is extremely difficult to carry speed into and a big gap-table at the bottom.

My suggestion is to do a few weekends at Cascades otherwise you may become frustrated.

The Spruit is the only real DH in Gauteng!

But when the Spruit is closed for maintenance or public holidays, the DHers tend to ride one of the following:

• Thaba Short Line: (Short. feature filled. Big tables are pretty safe. good to session)
  • Thaba Main Line: (Under construction at the moment, so can't comment on what it will be like. But as for what it was like. Longer. Flat. Various features, but not all of those are beginner friendly)
  • 139: (decent length. Loads of features. Again, some aren't beginner friendly. Lots of work has just been put into this track.)
  • Helderkruin: (Shortish. Rocky. About 4-5 variations down the hill. Good to learn. A pain to push up)

Then there's Haarties. This has land access and shuttling issues. So basically only used for events. Personally, not my favourite. Raw, rocky, very litle flow. Lots of place to break rider and bike.

But as 1979 mentioned... the best thing you can do to get pumped about DH, is roadtrip down to KZN with some of the GP boys (these trips happen fairly frequently). Cascades is seriously fun. The Karkloof DH course too. Do it! You'll learn a lot, and have the time of your life.

EDIT: Jokes aside, there are some parts of the Sruit that are nice if you're getting used to a DH bike. The hurlingham line has some nice easy ski jumps. And there are the scout hall jump sessions on Friday afternoons. Dirt jumping does wonders for one's DH skills.

Edited by patches

a group of us guys are hitting 139 on Saturday come and join us

What time are you going to be there?

What time are you going to be there?

I'm going at 10am but ask on mountain bikers do it downhill on fb JP posted that he is going to be there on Saturday and some other guys

How much tougher is Helderkruin / Cascades than the Hurlingham jumps ?

And how much more travel is 'needed' ?

Can do the Hurlingham line no problem on my 100mm dual sus, wondering if there are other DH/Enduro type places I could ride - or is it out of the question without more travel?

And if I were to get more travel, what is the minimum amout of travel for an all rounder that can do these tracks? (noticed someone using a 150mm 29er for world champs at cascades?)

How much tougher is Helderkruin / Cascades than the Hurlingham jumps ?

And how much more travel is 'needed' ?

Can do the Hurlingham line no problem on my 100mm dual sus, wondering if there are other DH/Enduro type places I could ride - or is it out of the question without more travel?

And if I were to get more travel, what is the minimum amout of travel for an all rounder that can do these tracks? (noticed someone using a 150mm 29er for world champs at cascades?)

The line we did down Helderkruin just had a few kickers. No jumps and not too steep. Doable on a hardtail with decent head angle. Some of the other lines have hectic jumps.

140 to 150mm is perfect for SA.

Edited by SLiiick

I heard today that they have been fixing the Klapperkop line and a couple of others nearby there. Will have to go check them out.