Review: Momsen VIPA

Matt

I have been toying with the idea of switching to a dual suspension bike for some time and when Iwan Kemp, aka The Crow, offered me his Momsen VIPA for a test ride I jumped at the opportunity. Touted as a “Super Bike” the Momsen VIPA is purpose built for cross country and marathon riding, though this particular one had a few twists in its tail.

Click here to view the article

Having spent a fair amount of time riding that bike (and like Matt trying to actively avoid giving it back) I have to say this build is a bit special. Fantastic bike.

admin is this an attempt to help the crow sell the bike? i see it on the classifieds, timing is everything.

I can assure you it was not planned (the review was meant to be out a few months back already), but the timing does work in his favour.

admin is this an attempt to help the crow sell the bike? i see it on the classifieds, timing is everything.

Pretty sure he won't need much help selling it to be fair.

What is a mega drop?

"Mega" is all relative, but for me generally and in the context of this review: pretty much any vertical drop-off more than 1m ;)

What none of these articles ever say is the after sales swop-out terms and speed. I believe the warranty for Momsen is 2 years whereas bigger brands like Giant offer lifetime.

P.S Mate of mine had a damaged Santa Cruz Tallboy, after nearly a year of waiting for the new frame he decided to take up road riding. I snapped my Anthem frame and it was replaced in 2 weeks.

What none of these articles ever say is the after sales swop-out terms and speed. I believe the warranty for Momsen is 2 years whereas bigger brands like Giant offer lifetime.

P.S Mate of mine had a damaged Santa Cruz Tallboy, after nearly a year of waiting for the new frame he decided to take up road riding. I snapped my Anthem frame and it was replaced in 2 weeks.

What has a guy waiting on a Santa Cruz warranty got to do with Momsen?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

HI. 

Just want to know if the Dropper post is internal or external cabling?  

This one was internally routed through a port on the left side of the down tube (unfortunately not shown in the images).

The 2017 spec Vipa frames have full internal routing for more cables with ports on both the left and right. See the first look at our long term test Momsen Vipa Two here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/previews/first-look-2017-momsen-vipa-two-r6081