Sani2c 2015

Gringo

Passed 3 tiny tots walking along the stony track on day 3 of the adventure, oldest one couldn't have been older than 4! Luckily had time to shout out and warn guys behind. Hitting a little kid like that at speed would be nasty. Who would be held responsible??

They were there on the Trail as well. Heartbreaking that these tiny kids are left to their own devices. Also why were the older kids not in school. We were a ladies team and a youngster of about 13 grabbed me and said give me your gloves. A team of 2 ladies got a little lost and by the time they got to that section these youngsters were grabbing and feeling her on the butt.

There needs to be a marshal there!

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for mountain bikers who can fix a bicycle on the side of the road with bloudraad, ductape and cable ties, inventiveness seems to end when you cross the finish line.

Here is what we did.

See great steaks coming off the gas fire cooker (its is not called a braai). They go onto plates for the long que of okes and okettes. MMMM you see the guy has a can of something in his hand. So you walk up to said guy and say, hey dude, I like my steak rare, can you do one quick? A conversation ensues about where he/you is/are from how long he/you has been involved. 2 min later a lekker steak, still dripping with warm juice lands on your plate. And as he drops it on, you pop him a full can of brown fanta into his hand and everyone is happy. Your chatting time and queuing time about the same, but new memories and a new friend made. AND, you have next years steak already sorted !

Now I am hungry.

They were there on the Trail as well. Heartbreaking that these tiny kids are left to their own devices. Also why were the older kids not in school. We were a ladies team and a youngster of about 13 grabbed me and said give me your gloves. A team of 2 ladies got a little lost and by the time they got to that section these youngsters were grabbing and feeling her on the butt.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this into an email to farmer glen ! This is the last thing this ride needs

Guest Travis.

for mountain bikers who can fix a bicycle on the side of the road with bloudraad, ductape and cable ties, inventiveness seems to end when you cross the finish line.

Here is what we did.

See great steaks coming off the gas fire cooker (its is not called a braai). They go onto plates for the long que of okes and okettes. MMMM you see the guy has a can of something in his hand. So you walk up to said guy and say, hey dude, I like my steak rare, can you do one quick? A conversation ensues about where he/you is/are from how long he/you has been involved. 2 min later a lekker steak, still dripping with warm juice lands on your plate. And as he drops it on, you pop him a full can of brown fanta into his hand and everyone is happy. Your chatting time and queuing time about the same, but new memories and a new friend made. AND, you have next years steak already sorted !

Now I am hungry.

Sounds lekker.

BUT, the queueing time will definitely be way longer.

Guest Travis.

Second Sani for us, last year we did the Trail and this year the Race.

New start venue was cool and registration was quick and easy.

Some of the Single Track was badly rutted on Day1 but majority of the trail was great.

Food was great as always and water points had everything we wanted/needed.

Will definitely be back!

View at the start of Day 2

attachicon.gifIMG_20150515_213743.jpg

Thank you for your patience.

The problem Glen has with his race now is that it is no longer perceived as a 'Farmer' race.  Before one was quite happy to live with showering in portaloos (no queue, lots of hot water) as that sort of thing was part of the deal.

Unfortunately as it gets bigger and more commercialized people who never did the 'farmer' style race don't realize where it came from and how it has changed.

So the race is now stuck halfway between 'farmer-style' and 'professional-commercial'.  Until it's properly commercial (brick ablutions etc) there are going to be parts that are going to be a bit swak in comparison. 

Given the choice of luke warm water in drafty private showers or steaming hot in public showers, I'd probably take the public.  Not so keen on the public part, but very keen on the no-draught, plenty hot water part.

I don't have an issue with okes doing their stuff kaalgat - you are not obliged to notice them and there are always asshats around.  If you gonna spend your life getting upset by people you can just as well ignore, well, you got more life to waste than I have.

I don't want to take stuff in to the shower as the floor is generally wet and possibly muddy and I want my stuff to stay dry.  There is only so much you can hang on a hook and it's not going to kill you to wear a towel to where your kit is an possibly have to have your ass nekkid for five seconds in public while you change.  Having no wall between the showers and and the massage barn last year was a bit of a fail tho!

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Sani.  Each year it changes and that is part of the fun.  

Me, I'd take it rough and ready and personal as it used to be, but the market is looking for something else, and while it remains affordable, I'll carry on doing it.

Guest Travis.

The problem Glen has with his race now is that it is no longer perceived as a 'Farmer' race.  Before one was quite happy to live with showering in portaloos (no queue, lots of hot water) as that sort of thing was part of the deal.

Unfortunately as it gets bigger and more commercialized people who never did the 'farmer' style race don't realize where it came from and how it has changed.

So the race is now stuck halfway between 'farmer-style' and 'professional-commercial'.  Until it's properly commercial (brick ablutions etc) there are going to be parts that are going to be a bit swak in comparison. 

Given the choice of luke warm water in drafty private showers or steaming hot in public showers, I'd probably take the public.  Not so keen on the public part, but very keen on the no-draught, plenty hot water part.

I don't have an issue with okes doing their stuff kaalgat - you are not obliged to notice them and there are always asshats around.  If you gonna spend your life getting upset by people you can just as well ignore, well, you got more life to waste than I have.

I don't want to take stuff in to the shower as the floor is generally wet and possibly muddy and I want my stuff to stay dry.  There is only so much you can hang on a hook and it's not going to kill you to wear a towel to where your kit is an possibly have to have your ass nekkid for five seconds in public while you change.  Having no wall between the showers and and the massage barn last year was a bit of a fail tho!

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Sani.  Each year it changes and that is part of the fun.  

Me, I'd take it rough and ready and personal as it used to be, but the market is looking for something else, and while it remains affordable, I'll carry on doing it.

Nail on head.

Here is what we did.

Now I am hungry.

haha...beginning to understand now why the steaks are 'nuked'!

Could it be that the 'gatkrypers' are oiling the chef's too much and consequently a short while later the cooking finesse she is lost!? :whistling:  

Blue is the new Rare man :thumbup:

Saw something very similar on day 3 of Trail. Girls ahead of us were been grabbed as they rode passed -I assumed the kids were going going for back pockets. I yelled at them as we went passed but they hit my partner on her butt (admittedly she does have a nice butt).

That whole section felt dodgy - gave me that pre-rape feeling. I was glad there were other bikers around.

I did one way back in 2007. That was when it still was a 'farmers' ride'. In 2012 the ride was already oversubscribed.

Women's showers at Jollivet both those years were WAY better than this year. Hot water from a huge donkey outside. It was in that same building, but there were chairs to put clothes on, and curtains around each cubicle, so that you at least could put your stuff just outside your shower instead of in a separate room.

I was wondering if Farmer Glen would be happy for his daughter to shower there this year :(

Sniffie...you got lucky (or maybe they saw the 'insider' coming)  :clap:

4 Sani's in a row now and every year my Steak is way overdone and tough as hell.  Our group resort to taking our own steak knives along for the tussle :blush:

Good Beef - yes certainly.   Flavour great - but boy are they destroyed. 

I got my steak directly from the grill, medium rare and so tender I managed perfectly well with the plastic forkenknife! :whistling:

Saw something very similar on day 3 of Trail. Girls ahead of us were been grabbed as they rode passed -I assumed the kids were going going for back pockets. I yelled at them as we went passed but they hit my partner on her butt (admittedly she does have a nice butt).

That whole section felt dodgy - gave me that pre-rape feeling. I was glad there were other bikers around.

Same on Joberg2C.  My riding partner was sick on the last 2 days, so we were towards the back of the field with few riders around us. In that forest-section before the end of day 2, there were kids in the trees grabbing at me from above, and another one also grabbing my bum. I felt unsafe and I do remember thinking that this year, they grab bums, a few years from now when they are 17?? 

On Ride2Rhodes the organiser makes it very clear that no one should give the kids anything under any circumstances. Possibly Sani2C and joBerg2C could look at doing the same.

Will certainly send some feedback on this - it needs to be fixed quickly.

Nix, please drop them an email! Cold showers is one thing. But rider safety can really change an entire event.

IN THE PAST EVENTS AT THE END OF DAY 2 they used to take you up that climb right at the end, on the climb the little buggers stood there grabbing stuff out of broken cyclist pockets, they almost got my partners cell instead they got a bike pump to the back of the head i think thats why they diverted the last section along the road and not through the houses up that climb,,,this year for joberg2c they got clever with a rider in front of us and i told my partner we need to catch the guy they going to try nick his stuff, this is not new at that section 

1st timer doing the race and will be back! Perhaps a separate truck at the start of day 3 for those that want their containers taken directly to the school shuttle field? The additional leisurely cycle wont kill anyone and save a lot of frustration...

On the subject of prizes, lucky draws and the like. Would it not be possible to do all the entries for these online prior to the event. Then everyone goes into the draw. In our case we only had one entry form for the car between the two of us. Its also not right that you have to be at the daily debrief to get the prize, one might be getting a massage or standing in a shower. Sure insist that the finalists are at the final draw to win, but not daily.