Sani2c 2015

Gringo

Interesting response from farmer Glen:

For 2016 we will focus on the following:

1. Reduce numbers per event.
  2. Reduce clothing. One quality item. (Please note many people thought that clothing in years gone by was sponsored, it was not. In 2015 we focused spending on your riding and race village experience). For 2016 we investigating the option of replacing the black boxes with wheelie bags which will be a gift to you together with one quality item of clothing.  
  3. Pre event camping at Glencairn will be up to standard and will include meals. Riders will need to book this option when they enter. No late bookings for meals.
  4. No start batches bigger than 50 teams. (No special treatment. You need to earn your seeding pre event.)
  5. 10 minute start gaps between all batches every day. (This means all our back markers need to get fitter. They will have less time to get to the cut offs – we noticed many people this year had not trained hard enough – sani2c is not the toughest ride but it is still tough)
  6. Stricter enforcement on:Move route away from highly populated local areas where youth and children have become a real safety issue. More than this the begging for sweets and chocolates etc. irritates riders. This pertains to Day 2 and the end Day 3.
    • Batch Check In. Re introduce stickers on the bike? (for all events – for ride experience not so much racing)
    • 2 minute Time Separation Penalties. Enforce. (This is a team event)
    • Cut offs at water tables. (we will bring back the honor of riding sani2c)
  7. Big route changes on Day 2. ( The start and 39km to 75km)
  8. Zero tolerance for rude riders on route or in race villages.
  9. Zero tolerance for littering on route, this will now include the handing out of sweets by riders.

Focusing on the positives

Most of our field arrives with total understanding and appreciation of what Nedbank sani2c is about. I appreciate those who genuinely care about the event and who take the time to express their thoughts positively and constructively. We continually strive to improve the event each year for the benefit of riders, sponsors, landowners and crew.

All the communities working in the race villages and along the race route do so for some organization. Many of the workers are also landowners who kindly allow us to pass through their farms. Often we interrupt their farming operations and they are inconvenienced because of us.

At our post event feedback session, I was shocked to hear of the many rude riders we have. In some cases I am embarrassed to be a mountain biker. These characters are not sani2c people. They demotivate the crew and more importantly are a real risk with our landowners. They are generally very high maintenance which an event the size of sani cannot handle.  Our events and our sport can do without them. We will work on trying to get these people to appreciate what has been done for them. If we cannot get them to appreciate this we will assure that they not allowed back. The sani2c spirit and atmosphere is very important to the event and I will work hard on making this even stronger.

Reigniting the sani2c spirit.

sani2c was initiated by a bunch of real mountain bikers who just loved being together spending time, pioneering on their mountain bikes. My goal for 2016 will be to inspire all our riders to strive for this special spirit. For 2016, through sani2c I will make every effort to place my focus on making all our rider better people on and off the bike. My goal will be to develop more riders with some of the old values listed below.

• Inspirational positive characters that inspire all around them to lead a better healthy life style. The people they inspire will include their children, family, friends, colleague’s, our farmers our sponsors and our crew.
  • Have a full appreciation of being able to ride some of the best trails in the world. This means not just taking for granted that they fit and healthy but also appreciating the years of work that people have gone into to make this possible. (35km new trails for 2016)
  • Fully appreciate an event which supports its people and community and thereby help add to its great community spirit. That this is more than just a mountain bike race.
  • An appreciation of experiencing new innovative ideas for mountain bikers and stage racing.
  • An appreciation of the annual upgrades to the race villages and it opportunities it offers for many.
  • They aspire to be proper mountain bikers who want to ride bikes on mountain bike trails.
  • They appreciate the investment made in overall rider experience.
  • They don’t expect to be waited on at every turn.
  • They treat marshals, crew, school kids, farmers and their wives with respect and appreciate this as this is what will keep communities motivated and trying their best for us.
  • They despise litter on the route and don’t hand out sweets.
  • They sufficiently trained to enjoy the experience and because of this will not be grumpy or make it necessary for us to enforce cut offs.
  • They can ride single track but will happily allow faster people to pass.
  • They positive and constructive.  

Nedbank sani2c is for people who make this country and world better for all. It is for those who focus on solutions and offer positive constructive criticism. It is for those who appreciate and love riding their bikes in this remarkable area. We look forward to welcoming all those that embrace this spirit for an even better Nedbank sani2c.

Feel free to send us any ideas you may have that may enhance your experience and we will work hard at implementing them. All of us here in sani country appreciate your support and look forward to hosting and treating you all to something exciting and new where the old community spirit will shine brightest in May 2016.

Kind regards

Farmer Glen and the Nedbank sani2c team

mmmmmmmm some "strong "words many positives given, i wont chirp too much now now i dont crack an invite again, but some interesting way of putting things

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems whenever I wear my Sani body warmer thingy, I leave a trail of feathers in my path...

mmmmmmmm some "strong "words many positives given, i wont chirp too much now now i dont crack an invite again, but some interesting way of putting things

It might be strong words, but I can not agree more with every sentiment expressed in the mail from Farmer Glen and the organizers of Sani2C. We can not tolerate rude riders, especially if the rudeness is aimed at landowners, farmers, their wives, or any of the volunteers involved at registration, the overnight stops or the water tables. 

Without the consent of the locals and especially the farmers and the landowners this race would not be possible at all. It will be the end of our beloved Sani.  A famous hubber with a couple of thousand  posts coined a, by now famous phrase, which comes to mind; "End van prent."

Maybe he has realised his race has slowly changed before his eyes without him noticing it..and suddenly realised it..I say good for him..let's hope we see some positives..it used to be a challenge you wanted to do...2 valleys on day 2...chance of heat and rain...or both...its been dumbed down a lot..so much so that it's not a challenge anymore and why you see people doing it with little to no training

Planning for 2016 sounds great. No that the shed is built are we getting decent clothing again? 

Planning for 2016 sounds great. No that the shed is built are we getting decent clothing again?

He says one quality item and wheely boxes for 2016

I can't believe people is still bitching about the clothing, take your 12 grand go by some clothes and give your spot to someone who will really enjoy it!

this bit is interesting and I wish they would give us details. which ones, which event, and what kind of things were said. For me this event is made by the people at the villages and water stations. Spending time chatting to them is half the fun.

I am also intrigued by the things he wants to change. More about paying R12K per team to be grateful for what you get and stop complaining. His response to the clothing thing, is well interesting. rather just say, money spent on clothing in previous years, was spent on Jolivliet upgrades and next year is likely to the same. I would be like thumbs up no worries thanks for clearing that up.

At our post event feedback session, I was shocked to hear of the many rude riders we have. In some cases I am embarrassed to be a mountain biker. These characters are not sani2c people. They demotivate the crew and more importantly are a real risk with our landowners. They are generally very high maintenance which an event the size of sani cannot handle.  Our events and our sport can do without them. We will work on trying to get these people to appreciate what has been done for them. If we cannot get them to appreciate this we will assure that they not allowed back. The sani2c spirit and atmosphere is very important to the event and I will work hard on making this even stronger.

I am also intrigued by the things he wants to change. More about paying R12K per team to be grateful for what you get and stop complaining. His response to the clothing thing, is well interesting. rather just say, money spent on clothing in previous years, was spent on Jolivliet upgrades and next year is likely to the same. I would be like thumbs up no worries thanks for clearing that up.

As has been said, interesting email.

He says one quality item and wheely boxes for 2016

this is actually very clever. stops the whining about boxes needing to be carried at villages and also at the end having to give the box back and get a t-shirt. It takes away a certain measure of things.

Also the route changes between 38 km and 75 km. Especially start of day 2. I think because of the fires leading upto the decent into the valley they may be taking another route to getting into the valley.

I wonder what we are in for getting out the valley next year! A new route to Nandoes on the cards ?

this is actually very clever. stops the whining about boxes needing to be carried at villages and also at the end having to give the box back and get a t-shirt. It takes away a certain measure of things.

Also the route changes between 38 km and 75 km. Especially start of day 2. I think because of the fires leading upto the decent into the valley they may be taking another route to getting into the valley.

I wonder what we are in for getting out the valley next year! A new route to Nandoes on the cards ?

from a route perspective - i would love to see small heartrate and heartrate back on day 3...or something equivalent...that would really mix it up on the final day and add a little more to the challenge.

the thing about the tops....and to answer @traverse above...its really about expectations...previous years offered some expectations and this weren't met. My suggestion is novice get a treat of a salamon jacket and repeats only get something else useful like a riding jacket. My salamon jackets and big aca joe jackets generally just sit in the cupboard except for one that I prefer (although I am wearing the aca joe today because its cold  :whistling: ) My most used tops are the black sleveless riding top from 4 years and the light blue riding top from 2 years ago

from a route perspective - i would love to see small heartrate and heartrate back on day 3...or something equivalent...that would really mix it up on the final day and add a little more to the challenge.

I agree.

I cant believe we have to have entered for 2016 already and pay within the next 6 weeks, im still trying to motivate myself to ride it again in the hopes it will have the improvements promised i.e less riders and less "chocolat children".

One of the main things I like about Sani in the Race is basically enjoying three days without hearing anyone complain. This thread is a bit different, inviting constructive criticism to see how things could be main better.

I like Farmer Glen's response, they have obviously read what many have written, decided what to ignore and what will make a better race, plus throw in a few things that nobody even thought of. I think this attitude will keep the Sani at the forefront of the mountain bike stage races.

I don't like to hear that the riders were rude to helpers and farmers, these people need a wake up call.

Edited by martinpe

I cant believe we have to have entered for 2016 already and pay within the next 6 weeks, im still trying to motivate myself to ride it again in the hopes it will have the improvements promised i.e less riders and less "chocolat children".

Exactly how I feel. Do I enter and hope it really will be better or do I choose to do another event like Berg and bush?

45 min  to make up my mind...

Exactly how I feel. Do I enter and hope it really will be better or do I choose to do another event like Berg and bush?

Berg n Bush knocks the socks of Sani..more technical and smaller.

Easiest thing in the world to sell if you change your mind, so enter now and worry about what you are going to do later 

Berg 'n Bush is an amazing race and so is Sani2c but both in their own way, I thought that after this year's race I am going to stop Sani2c but that was before the race now I'm definitely going to keep on returning every year! Kudos to Sani2c!