Rotiringer

Hi Guys - sorry if this is an obvious question or not right for this forum. I have entered my first half iron man in Durbs in October and basically learning to swim at the moment and hoping that my riding and running shouldn't be a problem. What I'm not clear about is what you ride in, do you wear your riding shorts with padding etc while you swim under a wetsuit and then just pull the suit off and ride. Then do you run in cycling shorts with the padding? Or am I getting the whole thing wrong and you just wear normal tights and ride with no padding?

Speedo. All three. (red is fastest)

Edit: Seriously though, you are pretty much correct. I've only done one, but that was how I did it. Tri shorts under wetsuit and same stuff for running and cycling (except shoes obviously)

Edited by tom893

you can also try swiming with you're top underneath you're wetsuit. it can be quite a mission to put the top on over a wet body

Get a Decent pair of Tri sorts, fairly comfortable on the cycle leg and light enough to run in.

They dry quickly after the Swim...

If u get a tri suit then it will be fine for cycle leg. Dont need more than that.also comfortable enough to run in!!!

Edited by Skuzzi

I find the sailfish http://www.sailfish.com/ a good tri suit for duathlon, probably good to triathlon too. ORCA is another popular brand. The padding in both is non absorbent. Consider changing to a tri specific saddle if you feel that the padding is not enough. Remember running with full cycling padding is a mission for more than a km or two. It is all about compromise

So it all really depends on what you want to spend and if you looking for podium place. If you not gonna go for podium then wasting an extra few minutes changing is not an issue. Comfort for me is everything. I wear speedo under my wet suit. In T1 I change into proper cycle short and T2 change into proper run shorts. Remember if you are going to spend 4-12 hours swimming, cycling and running best be comfortable and rather sacrifice a few minutes getting comfortable.

Those all in one outfits I find are restrictive and uncomfortable. Once you have an all-in-one on and then your wetsuit on I find it an almost impossible mission to breath and have twice had near panic attacks. Not a good thing in a swim leg. If you do buy an outfit get a 2 piece unit.

I like my tri-suit. It goes on before the wetsuit and I don't have to think about it again.

Transition can be a crazy time in a race, and most people are a little panicky in their first few, so it helps to not have to worry about it.

Tri suite is the way to go, then you don't waste time in transition. For men it is fine, but it does not work well for some women though, especially if the swim is a sea swim....the chaffing can be bad on 1/2 and full ironman distances.

2 piece tri suite(because i look like oros man in onepiece).wear under wetsuite. but do try it out before the time. my first im was with speedo and polly shorts way back so to each his own,but 2 piece works for me.

Agree with JGR....with all the training you will need to do, your bum will get used to it......if not, then maybe you shouldn't be doing Ironman ;)

My regime for triathlons is as follows: For Olympic distance tri's a wear a Speedo Endurance swimming costume for the swim, cycle and run and just put on a cycling shirt for the cycle and run. For Ultra tri's (half iron man) and f ull iron man I use the same speedo for the swim , change completely into my cycling clobber for the cycle and then change completely into my running kit. Yes, it costs me a bit of time but the comfort gained more than makes up for it. I am also doing the Tri rock in October, looking forward to it. Just want to add , if you going toe tri suit route , buy it today and use it a number of times BEFORE the event so u know what u can expect...these things can chaff you badly...

Edited by IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan, I could never do a triathlon wearing a polony cruncher ....you are a brave man :). I agree about trying out the tri suit.....I had a SkinFit tri suit and the front zip chafed me badly on my chest....

100% agree with the comments re getting a tri suit and using it a few times beforehand over your race distance for each event - I have an 2XU 1 piece and not the most comfortable thing ever, but made it through IM 70.3 with it after lots of training in it (chaffed really badly over Olympic distance the first time I wore it)... If I could find someone with a decent range in CT then I would buy myself a good 2 piece rather as it is very restrictive. Given how small the padding is to start with, it's probably worth investing in good quality kit.