R44 to Rooiels - be warned!

Ertjies

OK so Sunday was just absolutely beautiful weather in Stellenbosch, so I decided to take a morning ride out to Betties.

This most scenic route past Rooiels is awe inspiring. I've cycled here for many years, and it always takes my breath away.

So there I was, enjoying the ride, when out of nowhere a car screamed past me! The mirror literally touched my slieve - almost took my head off! WTF!! I wanted to chase it down and bite on its tires! But alas...the steep ascent onto the hill before Betties quickly killed my resolve.

But truth be told, I didn't hear it coming. It is a frightful experience. That road is so narrow, that if you lose your concentration for a second it can be tickets. I also think motorists are sight seeing on this route, so they aren't so aware of cyclists.

What can we do to proactively address this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I can recall similar incidents like this being reported here in the past, same location, etc. Keep reporting it to SAPS until someone takes note, maybe write a letter to the local newspapers.

I've stopped riding that road because of this.

It's just not safe any more. It's a pity, as it's a beautiful stretch of road.

Road there once with my bike, never again. That road should be closed for either cars or cyclists its just to narrow and with the south easter blowing I recon its one of the safer options if you want to commit suicide!

OK so Sunday was just absolutely beautiful weather in Stellenbosch, so I decided to take a morning ride out to Betties.

This most scenic route past Rooiels is awe inspiring. I've cycled here for many years, and it always takes my breath away.

So there I was, enjoying the ride, when out of nowhere a car screamed past me! The mirror literally touched my slieve - almost took my head off! WTF!! I wanted to chase it down and bite on its tires! But alas...the steep ascent onto the hill before Betties quickly killed my resolve.

But truth be told, I didn't hear it coming. It is a frightful experience. That road is so narrow, that if you lose your concentration for a second it can be tickets. I also think motorists are sight seeing on this route, so they aren't so aware of cyclists.

What can we do to proactively address this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Wont riding in a group make you more visible? Just a thought.

Had a similar experience over Xmas 2 years ago - gentle early morning solo road ride from Betty's to Kogelbaai & back, on the way back a bakkie towing a boat almost clipped me at high speed (he was going way too fast especially consdering he is towing a boat) - no oncoming traffic so he had plenty of space so really no excuse - not a fun experience, don't think I've ridden that road again.

I would suggest you ride with a camera there and report reckless & negligence driving to the local SAPS and hand over the footage with the number plate of the vehicle as there is a 1 meter rule.

The scenic bit towards Rooi-Els is fine, just the section to Betties that's crap with the yellow lane.

Glad you're okay

It's a beautiful stretch of heaven indeed

Are there signs up that alerts motorists to 'watch out for cyclists' or something?

• 2 weeks later...