Brake choices

PoiZoNouZ

They are *** period. Bad modulation one second they only work if you squeeze to the bar next second you touch them and you launch off the bike. Bled them over and over just don't work for me

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice went for the RX. Got a slightly used set for R1300. They just look so cool!

They should mount straight up to my Avid rotors?

Have only had a smile on my face since I dumped the Elixir cr's and fitted XT's. Haven't heard anything bad about Formulas either. Seems to me that there are numerous brake sets that do the job and a bunch of personal preferences but only one to avoid..... :)

They are *** period. Bad modulation one second they only work if you squeeze to the bar next second you touch them and you launch off the bike. Bled them over and over just don't work for me

my avid work for me .. enjoy your formula!! Z!

The 9 trail ones are on special at Pro-bike.com. :drool: They are in my basket to buy - very good deal.

yep, they and other resellers are making space for the SRAM Guides. Juicy goodness with a swanky new lever. (RSC models only IIRC).

Have a set of XO trails on my bike,180 front and rear,mad power and modulation on them had one small fixable issue but otherwise bombproof

yep, they are pretty monstrous them XO Trails. I'd rate them on par with the Avid Codes for stopping force. Now the code lever bodies are no different from Elixir or trail lever bodies, except in one regard: size. I think the smaller body on the elixir becomes finicky as there's less oil to accomodate any air bubbles that can remain within any braking system. the trick is to make sure there's a place to hide the bubble. So it was back to the future for SRAM, aka resurrect the Juicy design which has a larger reservoir.

yep, they are pretty monstrous them XO Trails. I'd rate them on par with the Avid Codes for stopping force. Now the code lever bodies are no different from Elixir or trail lever bodies, except in one regard: size. I think the smaller body on the elixir becomes finicky as there's less oil to accomodate any air bubbles that can remain within any braking system. the trick is to make sure there's a place to hide the bubble. So it was back to the future for SRAM, aka resurrect the Juicy design which has a larger reservoir.

Yeah, my Juicy's are great brakes as are the new Shimano products but once I swopped over to Hope...

All I have to do is get the new Guides,only the lever/reservoir,my caliper and rotors will work fine with them. The only problem is that Cape cycles can't tell me when they gonna get stock and the online site have no stock.

All I have to do is get the new Guides,only the lever/reservoir,my caliper and rotors will work fine with them. The only problem is that Cape cycles can't tell me when they gonna get stock and the online site have no stock.

ya, they are pretty useless. placed an order ages ago with them based on the initial, and rather firm, delivery dates. then it all just vaporised. <_<

But made another plan and am now just waiting for them. Again. hahahah

The nice thing about the new Jui..... i mean Guides.. :rolleyes: is that caliper is the same as the trails. So no need to buy different pads: just buy trail pads and you good 2 go.

Hell, if you could just get the Guide lever+body, you could rock the new stuff. Pity you have to buy the whole toot. Something about new hoses though, but its only a vague recollection of something to that effect.

Beware if recycling avid rotors the 180 rotors may well be 185....so you might need Avid post adapters . Mixing brands with rotors and calipers can be a bit tricky. BTDT.

Can say the new XT brakes with Ice tech rotors are way better than older XT...which were better than Avid Juicy 7 on my bike

Edited by JXV

my avid work for me .. enjoy your formula!! Z!

Elixir 5's on my Trance - great. Elixir 9's on my Yeti - brilliant. Got some Code R's on order - am expecting good things! My $ 0.02.