[Event] 2014 NISSAN TrailSeeker #3 Curro Hazeldean

WesselvdWalt

Ek was daai donner wat in die eerste 10 km geval het. Toe weer opgestaan het met n af knie en aare vol adrinalien.

Legal doper...........a (small) crash early in the race does wonders.........late in the race one is usually to tired to even try and break the fall......usually take an extended horisontal time penalty.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me. I whistled, and then everyone shouted. I was chasing you from the start (I was on the black and yellow Giant Anthem).

Edit: wait a minute, we were the front bunch weren't we?

There were a couple of guys in front of us, in particular a guy going like missile wearing a yellow jacket, was him I was trying to catch when I looked down and missed that marker. Anyways, thanks for the whistle, much appreciated, you saved me a long ride back (beers are owed). Don't think I ever caught you again after that. Kinda gave up a bit after the single track climb and the traffic up there. Think I still asked you your time at the finish as you were the only other E I saw at the finish. If I had known 2nd place was only a couple minutes ahead I would have pushed a little harder to catch you :) But that will teach me for not looking for markers (roadie rookie mistake) The guy who won our batch must have motored!!

oh dit jy! ek het jou gesien val ja, en jy het jou bottle ook laat val wat my amper laat crash het...

Dit was juis die bottel se skuld. Ek wou nie by waterpunte stop nie en was op n hidration schedule. Wou my eerste sluk vat en toe was die bottel toe. Ekkon nie een hand die bottel oopkry nie en gebruik toe my ander hand. Toe ek weer sien is die draai op my en ek gryp verkeerde handelbar.

The knee on Sunday afternoon. Thanks to the cool pharmacist at Irene Mall you can not even see the cut below the scabs.

Need to get on the saddle soon.

There were a couple of guys in front of us, in particular a guy going like missile wearing a yellow jacket, was him I was trying to catch when I looked down and missed that marker. Anyways, thanks for the whistle, much appreciated, you saved me a long ride back (beers are owed). Don't think I ever caught you again after that. Kinda gave up a bit after the single track climb and the traffic up there. Think I still asked you your time at the finish as you were the only other E I saw at the finish. If I had known 2nd place was only a couple minutes ahead I would have pushed a little harder to catch you :) But that will teach me for not looking for markers (roadie rookie mistake) The guy who won our batch must have motored!!

Ah yes. It was me at the end. No beers necessary (but I'll take them anyway!) I was also rescued a bit later when the trail went left but the specialized signs pointed right. I was following a whole snake of people up the wrong way when someone shouted to me... So thanks to whoever that was.

That guy must have been pushing, and a little luckier in the congestion.

Now that you mention it, I also nearly managed to go completely off the route. At about 55.3km, there was a 90° right turn in the veld and I missed the boards. One rider in front of me picked it up and turned me around on his way back. I only had to do 500m of extra distance, so not the end of the world. If he hadn't turned me around, I would have missed the 10km loop around to the R954, and consequently would have been disqualified.

Thanks to whoever that was!

hmm... seems something went wrong close to Rosemary Hill. I also struggled with the Lynwood cycles boards mixed inbetween the race boards. But I think I followed the correct route.

My birthday is on 29 Dec ... but I don't recall this incident!? I was on a Anthem X1, was that me? I don't talk much, more like suffering grunts

Nope, not an anthem :D Just ignore my little Monday rant, it'll sort itself out.

Nope, not an anthem :D Just ignore my little Monday rant, it'll sort itself out.

No problem ... that guy gives us 29'ers a bad name ... :P

3:22 for the half! :eek:

1 Broken chain, 5 punctures and a 6km walk. Finally managed to bum a tube from some guy about 2km before the last waterpoint.

Guess who's going tubeless...

The knee on Sunday afternoon. Thanks to the cool pharmacist at Irene Mall you can not even see the cut below the scabs.

Need to get on the saddle soon.

Eina BLIKSEM! I saw a guy in front of me go ASS over KETTLE in a single track section just after some district road. He was wearing black Nissan kit and was a fairly strong rider (as he was in front of me) hehe.

Hope you did okay buddy, I told the medics to go and have a look at you. Also saw your tyre was pomped.

1 Broken chain, 5 punctures and a 6km walk. Finally managed to bum a tube from some guy about 2km before the last waterpoint.

Legend for pushing through man. I have a couple of woppers under my belt. A 4h45m magalies monster HALF. A 6:45 Cradle Trophy (70km). HEHE.

Those hurt like a mugg. thankfully, I've graduated from that kind of riding. ;)

Then a chain breaker and spare links. But this is a good tip! Have a spare chain you keep lubed up just for racing. Both my previous races had chain problems. There is no need for that. You might also need to check you cassette as the two start acting up at the same time.

Then a chain breaker and spare links. But this is a good tip! Have a spare chain you keep lubed up just for racing. Both my previous races had chain problems. There is no need for that. You might also need to check you cassette as the two start acting up at the same time.

Luckily I had a chain breaker and links so that was a minor, will definitely consider replacing both the chain and cassette but to be perfectly honest the chain breaking was more user error than equipment failure. The chain was definitely not sufficiently lubed and I shifted under a bit of strain and then immediately shifted back for some unknown reason (the mind boggles), chain got caught between cog and derailleur and snapped as I pedaled. As I said, user error.

Regarding the punctures: I went through two tubes and two glueless patches, just one of those days I guess, the fifth one caught me without any more spares and by that time most of the riders had already passed me so I went for a bit of a walk :).

I actually caught up to two separate people while walking, gave the first one my USN gel seeing as how he was struggling and I was on a leisurely stroll and the second gave me one of his spare tubes.

Managed to finish third from last :)

Luckily I had a chain breaker and links so that was a minor, will definitely consider replacing both the chain and cassette but to be perfectly honest the chain breaking was more user error than equipment failure. The chain was definitely not sufficiently lubed and I shifted under a bit of strain and then immediately shifted back for some unknown reason (the mind boggles), chain got caught between cog and derailleur and snapped as I pedaled. As I said, user error.

Regarding the punctures: I went through two tubes and two glueless patches, just one of those days I guess, the fifth one caught me without any more spares and by that time most of the riders had already passed me so I went for a bit of a walk :).

I actually caught up to two separate people while walking, gave the first one my USN gel seeing as how he was struggling and I was on a leisurely stroll and the second gave me one of his spare tubes.

Managed to finish third from last :)

Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours, I only had 3 punctures :eek: well technically only 1, I just couldn't get the plugs to seat properly and those corrugations didn't help. Tubeless is definitely the answer, it only cost me about 15 minutes...