Thule Rack - Odd design, odd bike or odd user

Uni

ok firstly i am having some issues with the tow bar - trying to get that resolved with the dealership, but something else i noticed on the thule carrier.

see here

post-44041-0-88107000-1404460983_thumb.png

the arms that hold the bike and the wheel wells don't line up straight as I would expect it to - so in order for the clamp to attach to either seatpost or top bar of my bike - the bike has to lean quite a bit - which add to the lean on the towbar results in a rather precarious looking situation

ideas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its meant to be like that,... not sure of the physics but that is how all the racks sit. Been working at Thule for sometime now, and that is not an unusual phenomenon.

Its meant to be like that,... not sure of the physics but that is how all the racks sit. Been working at Thule for sometime now, and that is not an unusual phenomenon.

really really? i've been watched with a beady eye by security as i go around looking at other peoples setup and there's doesn't seem to do that.

ok :blush:

i'll just sort out my tow bar then ... tx

Small frames and large frames sit vertical. The arc of the post causes medium frames to tilt rearwards slightly as they are level with the fixing point of the arm, are you not able to move the arm up or down to compensate for the arc of travel.

really really? i've been watched with a beady eye by security as i go around looking at other peoples setup and there's doesn't seem to do that.

ok :blush:

i'll just sort out my tow bar then ... tx

Congrats,... looks like you're just a special case,.... :clap:

doesnt that top connector bar come in different sizes?

Ja there's 3 lengths for the 3 slots - when i'm carry just my bike i try to have it closest to the car.

Small frames and large frames sit vertical. The arc of the post causes medium frames to tilt rearwards slightly as they are level with the fixing point of the arm, are you not able to move the arm up or down to compensate for the arc of travel.

I had to read that a few times, i started hearing my science teacher go on about arcs and trajectories etc.

My bike is a medium - and ladies frame so where i can get a grip is limited, currently the arm is moved to the side to grab onto the top bar - but i'll try fiddle and see.

Congrats,... looks like you're just a special case,.... :clap:

my mom says i'm special too :blush:

ok firstly i am having some issues with the tow bar - trying to get that resolved with the dealership, but something else i noticed on the thule carrier.

see here

post-44041-0-88107000-1404460983_thumb.png

the arms that hold the bike and the wheel wells don't line up straight as I would expect it to - so in order for the clamp to attach to either seatpost or top bar of my bike - the bike has to lean quite a bit - which add to the lean on the towbar results in a rather precarious looking situation

ideas?

Not all top tubes are equal. Some are higher than others, so the clamp will either engage your toptube at 90deg as shown on the initial diagram or at a lesser or greater angle to get the bike closer to 90deg at the wheel clamps. If the top clamp arm is too short, the bike will lean into the car and you may find that there would not be room for cranks etc.

That clamp can be positioned either on the top horizontal section of the vertical support or on either of the vertical legs (Release the tension and either slide it around the corner or remove it all together and reclamp it where you need it).

I have the same rack and clamping positions are very customizable. You need to move it around until you figure out where it works best. Also don't only think that you can clamp on teh top tube. Use teh down tube or the seat tube as well if you have to.

If all else fails, there is always this option..... :whistling:

http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/130125-UK/images/library/stock/webbig/87269.jpg

That clamp can be positioned either on the top horizontal section of the vertical support or on either of the vertical legs (Release the tension and either slide it around the corner or remove it all together and reclamp it where you need it).

I have the same rack and clamping positions are very customizable. You need to move it around until you figure out where it works best. Also don't only think that you can clamp on teh top tube. Use teh down tube or the seat tube as well if you have to.

This +1

your bikes top tube isn't parallel to the ground is it? it runs at an angle I am sure... move the clamp along vertical bar of the Thule rack....as the clamp doesn't either need to be parallel to the ground... as in your picture

ok problem one is the angle of the towbar. that's a definite - and the dealership say they'll arrange a date next week to resolve that.

i think that makes it look worse although if you look at this pic you'll see how much the bike leans away from vertical support thing - which makes it really hard putting 3 bikes on.

And YES i was shown how to move the attachment around to the side etc - have tried seat post and other places - i'll play around over the weekend maybe my bike just can't fit on that first slot.

but i'll wait till they sort out the tow bar.

post-44041-0-01434800-1404469418_thumb.png

Not all top tubes are equal. Some are higher than others, so the clamp will either engage your toptube at 90deg as shown on the initial diagram or at a lesser or greater angle to get the bike closer to 90deg at the wheel clamps. If the top clamp arm is too short, the bike will lean into the car and you may find that there would not be room for cranks etc.

just reading your post again, i think i have a plan :clap:

I suggest you take it to Thule and ask to assist, it should not be so slanted to the rear, the rack I mean...one bump and its gonna hit the ground.. the thule shop guys must show you the best way to fix that...