Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been cycling with a carrier on my bikes for many years now . Mostly to put the coolerbox for Mass Rides but it also use to take the baby seat . But will be putting some thought into modifying it to take a backpack that can be removed and carried on the back when portage etc . I don't do one or two fags on rides longer than 4 hours , Transbaviaans I went through a pack :eek: . But lights will do fine :clap: . Luckily I think the neglected family issue will be sorted for me , I am sending my wife to Europe next month for a 3 weeks cycle tour , so we should be sorted :whistling: .

I assume the packing list for the Rodes ride and the full ride should be very similar ?

Training .... erm well thats gonna be the big problem for me , I do things on the fly normally , but will definitely not take this lightly .

Did I mention that I only got a SS bike left ?

Been cycling with a carrier on my bikes for many years now . Mostly to put the coolerbox for Mass Rides but it also use to take the baby seat . But will be putting some thought into modifying it to take a backpack that can be removed and carried on the back when portage etc . I don't do one or two fags on rides longer than 4 hours , Transbaviaans I went through a pack :eek: . But lights will do fine :clap: . Luckily I think the neglected family issue will be sorted for me , I am sending my wife to Europe next month for a 3 weeks cycle tour , so we should be sorted :whistling: .

I assume the packing list for the Rodes ride and the full ride should be very similar ?

Training .... erm well thats gonna be the big problem for me , I do things on the fly normally , but will definitely not take this lightly .

Did I mention that I only got a SS bike left ?

SS with panniers... I look forward to your post 2015 ride report... :thumbup:

Many ideas change from the when the idea is planted to do the ride to the actual start line.

If I recall I replied to your query re panniers in the 2014 thread. I've posted the link earlier - refer if you like.

Its nice to see other people bitten by the bug - the training, gear and planning is a large part of the fun.

In most of our lives nowadays the extent of our discomfort is when we take our car in for a service and we have to rely on public transport or a colleague or if our bike has a mechanical and we have to sit at some coffee shop waiting to be picked up.

The Freedom Challenge takes you out of that comfort zone and places you way beyond for a couple of weeks - the feeling of satisfaction as you push the boundaries in your prep and the feeling after event is a strong addiction.

We left a 50ml KWV Brandy in each ice cream tubs and it worked well!

See interview with Jefe Branham, winner of the Tour Devide.

http://www.pinkbike....inner-2014.html

cool interview, here's a template for a bike carrier vibe DR!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11154297/p4pb11154297.jpg

Now that you've won the Tour Divide, what's next?

Riding singletrack, drinking beer, hanging out with my dogs, car camping, supporting my teammates at races, and maybe I'll even try dating again.

cool interview, here's a template for a bike carrier vibe DR!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11154297/p4pb11154297.jpg

Now that you've won the Tour Divide, what's next?

Riding singletrack, drinking beer, hanging out with my dogs, car camping, supporting my teammates at races, and maybe I'll even try dating again.

Are those all water bottles under his down tube? If so, clever.

But I'm guessing there isn't the climbing and portaging in the Divide like there is in the FC, so carrying a bike like that on your back up rocks is not an issue.

I finished in 2011, leisurely 21 days IIRC.

The 2 things that really stood out for me in the race:

1. The attitude of the people who do well. Martin D cam into Ntsikeni with a respectable gash on his shin needing a good couple of stitches - this after doing PMB to there in one push, Yet he remained positive and upbeat throughout, and that positive state of mind, taking whatever happens and shrugging it off, was common with all people who overcame the odds. Conversely, others planned everything down to the last detail, and when this started to wander off the plan, as they are guaranteed to do, they panic and lose focus and motivation and thing spiral to the point of abandonment. Take it seriously, but know things will go wrong and accept it, readjust your goals and keep moving.

2. (Almost contrary to the above) People drop out due to real horror stories, make no mistake... But if you trace it back, in a lot of cases it started with small issues that were left to fester, not attending to issues with you lights, sorting out the shifting on your derailleur etc, that leads to hectic situations days later. Sweat the details, attend to minor issues, because they don't go away by themselves. This comes down to requiring meticulous prep beforehand

My recipe: I really studied the route before, MANY nights spent on Google Earth covering ever meter of track. I rode hard in the day making sure I get in before dark - I'm confident I had one of the fastest moving averages that year, this allows you to sleep 8h at night and recover well for the next day, so you can hit it hard again the next day. I did no tricky nav at night (I think I only came in 3 times after dark, never after 9pm), as even the most experienced riders get hopelessly lost at night. You want to avoid that at all cost IMHO. After spending a night out it takes days to recover, I've been told.

I rode about half the route alone, it worked for me. Be very weary of riding in a group, its easy to lose 2-3 hours of daylight in a group because every hour someone needs to stop and faf, and then all of a sudden night time catches you, All the costly nav mistakes I made were done in a group environment with experienced RASA riders. Looking back it's tempting to say I'd have been better of alone.

Simply put, my plan was to cover max ground in the day, recover at night. It worked for me and my goals. All of my advice can however be null and void depending on your race strategy.

One thing I am 100% sure of, its the real deal, it is the soul of mountain biking, you traverse holy ground.

"I finished in 2011, leisurely 21 days IIRC."

You make it sound so easy ! But you approach to the race is what I was also thinking of doing . I like my sleep and believe it is vital for proper recovery . Also not to big on the group ride thing and prefer to ride alone . The mechanical issues are the main reason why I want to do it on the SS , am even reconsidering my previous decision to maybe put a suspension fork on the bike , but that call I will make later .

"I finished in 2011, leisurely 21 days IIRC."

You make it sound so easy ! But you approach to the race is what I was also thinking of doing . I like my sleep and believe it is vital for proper recovery . Also not to big on the group ride thing and prefer to ride alone . The mechanical issues are the main reason why I want to do it on the SS , am even reconsidering my previous decision to maybe put a suspension fork on the bike , but that call I will make later .

Some days I knocked off at 1pm after a long lazy lunch in the sun (Damsedrift and Willowmore) when the next SS was withing reach. I was really just touring, ticking of the miles. Not only did I dread navigating at night, it seemed like a waste to not being able to see and thus experience the route. Eg, the ride over the ridge into the Ntsekeni vlei with boisterous herds of wildebeest must be one of the most breathtaking views from a bike. You don't get that at night.

yip. I'm sold on them....next bike will get one.

Agree 100%. Massively simplifies logistics as well.

Some days I knocked off at 1pm after a long lazy lunch in the sun (Damsedrift and Willowmore) when the next SS was withing reach. I was really just touring, ticking of the miles. Not only did I dread navigating at night, it seemed like a waste to not being able to see and thus experience the route. Eg, the ride over the ridge into the Ntsekeni vlei with boisterous herds of wildebeest must be one of the most breathtaking views from a bike. You don't get that at night.

Agree 100%. Massively simplifies logistics as well.

um, yes and no. night riding is also kiff fun at times.

My substandard light setup could very well have tarnished my night ride experiences to date, but I've never really taken to it. The "tunnel vision" effect gets to me. Purely personal experience though.

Sure 2000lm from multiple emitting points will be a complete different ball game, alas, I've never been there.

I like this from "Jill Outside": "When David developed the Freedom Trail, he traced these historic routes, which is why public access is allowed through private lands. What exists today is sometimes hardly a trail at all — it's an overgrown doubletrack, or a faint footpath traveled by shepherds, or a string of tracks trammeled by sheep and cattle. A distinct characteristic of the Freedom Trail that I think not many North American mountain bikers would understand (I didn't) is that it's not a real trail. There is no trail development, no government funding, no earmarks for recreational use. It's just a series of points along the Great Escarpment, connected with a dotted line. As a North American, I'm used to routes that have been set aside, developed, and signed, and this simply isn't the case. At all."

I love riding at night, but it makes navigation tricky