Review: Helmet shootout Part 1 - Bell Super, POC Trabec Race, 661 EVO AM

Claudio

When I go into most bike shops it's seldom I will see a helmet that is not suited to the road or XC purposes. There's countless options of them out there. It's not often you see something with some rear and side support – more focused on the trail and all mountain side of things. I set out to see what I could find that is readily available in South Africa.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As is my Bell Super! I find the white stripe a bit garish, never thought I'd want stickers adorning my helmet but I think I found a use for them after-all.

They all look nice but pretty expensive (Aka not in my budget), for the cheapskates like me the Fox Flux is a winner, had it now for 2 years, used as my DJ to all-mountain lid.

Guest Sam Blake

From a features and design point of view that EVO seems brilliant but the Bell is the best looking of the bunch. Tough choice.

Could you give us some information on crash replacements?

This can make a huge difference when 6 month into a helmets life you damage it in a crash, and need to bye a new one.

I tried the POC but found to little ventilation and kept on "overheating".

The Bell is a awesome helmet.

POC is overpriced don't know how they justify their prices.

I wonder how certain other upper end trail/AM lids slot into the line-up...

particularly the TLD A1?!

http://www.banditbike.ch/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/l/tld_a1_helm_drone_group.jpg

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/A1-Custom-Helmets.jpg

As for price, this upper end #enduro lid market has blown wide open. Most of these are more than one would pay for a decent full face... and I for one can't help but look at it that way (I paid R2400 landed for a brand new TLD D3, so paying even R2000 for the 661 is hard for me to justify)

i have the super and must say its the best lid i have ever owned, super comfortable and has all the features as listed in the review.

1 point you didn't mention( perhaps you didnt know about it) is the bezel can be adjusted up or down depending on your head and fit requirements, there are 2 press studs where the bezel attaches to the lid, i found the std one too high for me so dropped down 1 and it made the world of difference.

Ok cool. Well apart from the weight, the fox is a good option especially based on price.

Weight was an issue. Think it was like 30g heavier than my bell. Haha.

When spending R2000,00+ on a helmet, some sort of crash replacement warranty is important. This coming from ssomeone that is on their third Bell Super which also has a crack after this weekend...

This might make you think that the Super breaks easily, I don't think this is the case though...

The Super is the most comfortable lid I have tried on, it does seem as if the adhesive Bell uses to glue the velcro bits in the helmet for padding is not good enough As I have had an issue with this in all three Super's I have had.

I wonder how certain other upper end trail/AM lids slot into the line-up...

particularly the TLD A1?!

http://www.banditbike.ch/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/l/tld_a1_helm_drone_group.jpg

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/A1-Custom-Helmets.jpgThis A1lid is one fine looking one.

As for price, this upper end #enduro lid market has blown wide open. Most of these are more than one would pay for a decent full face... and I for one can't help but look at it that way (I paid R2400 landed for a brand new TLD D3, so paying even R2000 for the 661 is hard for me to justify)