Who remembers?

DPG

Primrose Germiston - you can't forget it if you've been. Alternative club set in what can best be described as an antique store. Quirky but so much fun.

No then I never went there but I had heard talk of it so maybe that's why it was familiar.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, I’d forgotten all about Bimbos...

Also if my very hazy memory serves me correctly there was a hot dog vendor outside the Doors and for a shortish while a pizza place across the road that was open all hours.

Heh, I was actually more Maritzburg based, so now Hyrule's mention of Crowded House reminded me of Stables, Take5 (own up - who did the palm tree?) that place in Commercial St the name of which I can't remember, Buzz Bar (Zzubrab we used to call it), World's View sunrises, Breakfast Rock whisky missions, digs in Scottsville (Phipson Lane, sitting on the roof drinking beers), learning to play pool at the Vic Club, the Basement (what kind of beers do you have? Black Label, you ungrateful bast@rd!), that other jol under the old Ster Kinekor building which used to play The Cure quite a bit, smoking goods and drinking ciders up at Roy Hesketh racetrack, stumbling home from town past the graveyard up Commercial/Durban Road, dudes catching on to trucks in town at a red, hoping for another red up in Scottsville, hanging out at Churchills with the owner Bruce and narrowly avoiding being stabbed by Eloise Driver (she hit me with a motorbike helmet, stabbed some other oke also named Donovan, weirdly, a week later)....man, those were the days.

I was in the army and spent my last 6 months in PMB.

I remember that place in Commercial Str. Then on Monday nights at a small (house) pub - where they played Hey Jude as the last song for the night. Tassenberg (wine) and Black Label were drinks of choice.

There were a few other places to get drinks and places we frequented, but 1992 seems like a lifetime ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking of food in JNB

Al's Burgers in Hillbrow, they used to make the biggest burger ever...if i recall correct it was about R12 each at the time and so big even a ravenous triathlete would struggle to finish it.

They used to be across the road from some strip club, one of those where you have your own cubicle to perv in... i remember taking my then girlfriend (now Wife) there (Al's Burgers) and we would sit and watch the constant flow of traffic in and out of the strip club commenting on the voyeurs.

Talking of food in JNB

Al's Burgers in Hillbrow, they used to make the biggest burger ever...if i recall correct it was about R12 each at the time and so big even a ravenous triathlete would struggle to finish it.

They used to be across the road from some strip club, one of those where you have your own cubicle to perv in... i remember taking my then girlfriend (now Wife) there (Al's Burgers) and we would sit and watch the constant flow of traffic in and out of the strip club commenting on the voyeurs.

Yah, Hillbrow had great food joints, when I was an appy you had to do 3 months a year at the jhb technicon as part of your apprenticeship, it was great because it was normal college hours and we were gone at 3pm daily,..... usually to some pub just down the road in Hillbrow! :rolleyes:

There was also that coffee shop on the first floor opposite the old indoor pool in Hillbrow, it was super, thick heavy arm chairs and the best coffee and cake for next to nothing. People say there all day reading the newspaper and just enjoying the atmosphere, it really started the coffee shop craze in JHB I think. Cant remember its name now.

.....and the Hillbrow indoor pool....epic, it was underground and cost R2.00 to get in, it was heated by coal furnaces so the water was always 28 degrees or warmer, winter or summer, it was olympic size and many swim galas were held there, I went there regularly, we didn't have a pool back then,  but my memory is of walking down the steps to the pool and getting that strong smell of Jeyes fluid which they used copiously for cleaning in the change rooms and around the pool. Strange how we remember these odd things.

Our playground in the 90s was Pretoria. There was Navigator's close to Church Square, where I saw Valiant Swart and the Silver Creek Mountain Band. McCoys in Church Street, probably our favourite pub, because we got to know the bouncers and they could hook you up. Cherry's Too where I saw Koos Kombuis who was so trashed he had to ask the audience for help to remember the lyrics to his own songs.

Later, when Tings 'n Times opened in Hatfield we were there so often we knew all the staff by name. Tings was immensely popular because they had a no under-21 and a completely attitude free policy. Besides great food, they were open till 2 in the morning and they had a small open roof where we would go and get stoned while there was a reserved sign on our table. 

Liquid State was popular because while it had a small dance floor there were lawns outside where people could sit and chill out. The big parties on Friday nights were at DNA, close to the train station, where they played hard dance music the whole night long until the sun came up. There were a few small other places that would open and close, but the biggest treat was getting in your car early on a Sunday afternoon and heading to ESP, the most amazing open air club where they would turn on the sprayers on hot days and Dizzy and Surge were worshiped as vinyl gods.

......................... getting that strong smell of Jeyes fluid .............

Smells have a particularly powerful way of bringing back memories of sometimes very obscure things. 

Joe Cools on the Durban Promenade in the 90's. Many a litre was consumed there on a weekend! Jugs of beer at the Berea Inn after tech during the week (should have spent more time at the afternoon tutorials instead....) Lunchtime at the Winston. Student night at Sand Pebbles on a Tuesday night. That little underground place called Ruby Tuesday close to LTP. Ports was another beachfront club. The Scrapyard, CC's... So many memories!

Joe Cools on the Durban Promenade in the 90's. Many a litre was consumed there on a weekend! Jugs of beer at the Berea Inn after tech during the week (should have spent more time at the afternoon tutorials instead....) Lunchtime at the Winston. Student night at Sand Pebbles on a Tuesday night. That little underground place called Ruby Tuesday close to LTP. Ports was another beachfront club. The Scrapyard, CC's... So many memories!

Joe Cools and Sand Pebbles ring a bell. My sister used to go to both way back when, she also used to jol at The Med, but she is 8 years older than me. Went to Joe Cools once in my early 20's for a few dops.

Joe Cools on the Durban Promenade in the 90's. Many a litre was consumed there on a weekend! Jugs of beer at the Berea Inn after tech during the week (should have spent more time at the afternoon tutorials instead....) Lunchtime at the Winston. Student night at Sand Pebbles on a Tuesday night. That little underground place called Ruby Tuesday close to LTP. Ports was another beachfront club. The Scrapyard, CC's... So many memories![/quote

What? No steak egg and strips on a Friday ????

Did any of you “not so oldies”ever frequent that lighties jol in Somerset West called Faces, mid 90s?

Edited by Patchelicious

Did any of you “not so oldies”ever frequent that lighties jol in Somerset West called Faces, mid 90s?

:eek: :eek:

Mrs Slowbee has some jaded memories of that place.

:eek: :eek:

Mrs Slowbee has some jaded memories of that place.

Transformers, Seven Seas, Devotions....?

Edit: Yussus, these names the people came up with!

Edited by Patchelicious

London Town Pub. Rat arsed in the buss trying to pick up nurses.... Best chick fight I saw was outside LTP 

Haha - I actually picked up a nurse one night at LTP

Three sure things in life.  Death, Taxes and a Nurse.  Ok maybe four if you add a Ministers daughter to that list!

Our playground in the 90s was Pretoria. There was Navigator's close to Church Square, where I saw Valiant Swart and the Silver Creek Mountain Band. McCoys in Church Street, probably our favourite pub, because we got to know the bouncers and they could hook you up. Cherry's Too where I saw Koos Kombuis who was so trashed he had to ask the audience for help to remember the lyrics to his own songs.

Later, when Tings 'n Times opened in Hatfield we were there so often we knew all the staff by name. Tings was immensely popular because they had a no under-21 and a completely attitude free policy. Besides great food, they were open till 2 in the morning and they had a small open roof where we would go and get stoned while there was a reserved sign on our table. 

Liquid State was popular because while it had a small dance floor there were lawns outside where people could sit and chill out. The big parties on Friday nights were at DNA, close to the train station, where they played hard dance music the whole night long until the sun came up. There were a few small other places that would open and close, but the biggest treat was getting in your car early on a Sunday afternoon and heading to ESP, the most amazing open air club where they would turn on the sprayers on hot days and Dizzy and Surge were worshiped as vinyl gods.

I started following SCMB when I first saw them at Navigators, and we have become quite good mates.  They actually played for us at my birthday two weeks back at my mates restaurant in Pretoria.