Who remembers?

DPG

We spent many a day in the ‘kleilat gat’ but I remember one incident pretty clearly when one of our friends got hit above the eye with a piece that had a stone in it.

Blood all over the place, ... we ran home (about 2km) with him leaving a trail of the red stuff as far as we went. By the time we got to his house he looked liked someone from a Zombie movie. Face and shirt soaked in blood!!

We just rang the front-door bell, and then ‘maak-ed spore” … his mom was a large dutch woman, even when friendly she sounded scary …. :devil: :nuke:  :nuke: 

Those were the days   :D  :D 

Man oh man.  Those are memories.  I grew up next to the Morelettaspruit in Pretoria and had a open field.  Kleilat was a regular thing.  Got in trouble a few times as we target practiced on some houses in the distance.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very very very rarely have cash in my pocket.

The only time I have cash on me is if its given to me as a gift (birthday's etc) or I've sold an item and person has paid cash.

I cant remember when last I used an ATM, I dont know if any of the cards I have on me work in an ATM.

The only time I have cash on me is if its given to me as a gift (birthday's etc) or I've sold an item and person has paid cash.

I cant remember when last I used an ATM, I dont know if any of the cards I have on me work in an ATM.

Last time I took cash was from a Hub sale .... then the last time I used an ATM was when I put that money into my bank account :P

RE ATM's

Robertson, the year was somwhere long long ago, along the lines of me being in early primary school .... and I remember standing with Granny at the fancy new ATM and showing her how to use it :)

Food lovers market at Hillfox - one que for 30 odd tills. Slow enough to see your fav sweets as you approach them, enough time to have the internal battle with yourself and, because the que zig-zags, even if you resist the temptation as you go past, you can reach over the top if you happen to change your mind. ....

if you come on a ride with us (club) and you bring a card, you're going to buy everyone coffee. Cash is king, unless you whip out a Randela or Leopard, then you can also buy everyone coffee.

A few days back one of the Spindle Bearings failed on a lathe and we had to replace it.  It was a bearing with a plastic ball-cage so I was able to take out all the "ghoens".

Man - If I had those 24 gems back in 1980 I would have had diabetes by now with all the sweets and chocolates I could have swapped them for....

They belong in a catty

This has got me thinking - Ghoens or Ironies where the Ball Bearings, Arlies were normal Marbles, China's were the white ones, but I cant remember what we called the clear coloured glass ones - they carried the most currency back in the day if I recall

I thought Ghoen/Goon was the big marble, and an ironie was the steel ball bearing.

Arlies were definitely the normal sized marbles.

Crystal rings a bell on the clear ones.

if you come on a ride with us (club) and you bring a card, you're going to buy everyone coffee. Cash is king, unless you whip out a Randela or Leopard, then you can also buy everyone coffee.

How OLD are you guys ... a cellphone and Snapscan is king :P

How OLD are you guys ... a cellphone and Snapscan is king :P

Ja, but how else do we get rid of all the hot cash we made from selling booze and cigarettes? :ph34r:

Edit: Change to Comic Sans just in case someone phones kwaai uncle Bheki ;)

Edited by DJR

speaking of ketties, who remembers this

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

Ah man I remember those games. We ended up looking like the leader of the mountain classification at the TDF. Then we grew up and played paintball instead :D .

Oh man.

I still have mine that was cut from a Soetdoring thorn tree in the Swartberg Pass nearly 50 years ago!!! 

I found mine the other day but the stretchy rubber part was perished. I am thinking of cutting up a tube from my road wheel and using that. But I'll have to do it on the slide, my 3 lighties will cause havoc if they use it. They have already broken 2 windows in my house by throwing stuff around, imagine what they will break with these bad boys. 

I thought Ghoen/Goon was the big marble, and an ironie was the steel ball bearing.

Arlies were definitely the normal sized marbles.

Crystal rings a bell on the clear ones.

Goons were the biggies

Ironies were the larger ball bearings, and steelies the smaller ones, iirc.

Then you get galaxies, cats eyes, swirlies, pearlies etc etc.

Goons were the biggies

Ironies were the larger ball bearings, and steelies the smaller ones, iirc.

Then you get galaxies, cats eyes, swirlies, pearlies etc etc.

Cats Eyes!  That's the one I was thinking of