Thaba Trails in top condition for Mountain Bike National Champs, Gauteng

Matt

Gauteng’s Thaba Trails Mountain Bike Park is gearing up to welcome South Africa’s top cross-country (XCO) and downhill (DHI) competitors as it plays host to the 2014 Cycling SA-MTB National Championships, on 19 and 20 July.

Click here to view the article

Good luck guys, rode the track today, going to be a tough one! Will be interested to see how quick the pro's do that lap!

Rode it in the week and did 18.55 for a lap, Danny Fowler managed 16.45. So the pro's should be be clocking 15/16 minutes odd I reckon.

XCO

kms? Any chance of video of the rock garden? Are there jumps? I'm coming up for SA champs on Friday would like to be prepared at least?

I think 4.4km, quite a few potential jumps if your ability allows.

I think there are 4/5 A&B line sections (A being very technical)

as long as the A line gives you an advantage over those taking the B lines

Time wise - a few seconds per section.

Debatable if it's worth it, you have x amount of laps to nail each A line, you'll save time for sure, but 1 fall and that time saving is gone...

Time wise - a few seconds per section.

Debatable if it's worth it, you have x amount of laps to nail each A line, you'll save time for sure, but 1 fall and that time saving is gone...

Definitely on that course, a fall there can be very unforgiving. Although right at the top when you hit the first rocky drop, I reckon the B line is slightly smoother.

Definitely on that course, a fall there can be very unforgiving. Although right at the top when you hit the first rocky drop, I reckon the B line is slightly smoother.

Saw that as well. The A-line is shorter, but not faster. Had the wife do a couple of runs down the a to find a line, but two out of three she got stuck going offline, and she opted for the b-line. A fall there would have been catastrophic.

Saw that as well. The A-line is shorter, but not faster. Had the wife do a couple of runs down the a to find a line, but two out of three she got stuck going offline, and she opted for the b-line. A fall there would have been catastrophic.

Ya, and after 6 laps with fatigue setting in it's much of a muchness there. I've measured it and the A line is maybe a second or less quicker.

That said, I've seen some guys take that A line really smoothly.

Saw some awesome racing there today.

Really enjoyed it. With the xco on saturday its been a pretty packed mtb weekend.

Then took the kids to the bmx track in the afternoon.

I think i will see wheels and pedals when I close my eyes tonight.