Cape Town Suburbs and local riding spots

awesme

To all the current and recent Cape Townians.

Please list nice suburbs with nice MTB trails within lets say 10km or less

Those that stay on Blouberg, where do you ride from there, it's pretty flat, so you all go to Tokai or Durbanville hills, how far is either.

G

I don't ride anywhere near where I live so will be cool to hear if there are some secret spots other than tokai an the block house

Distance for these places from say the Durban road/N1 crossing?

Thanks for the URL's... Will look.

G

Staying in Durbanville and Brackenfell area you got all the Tygerberg MTB trails (Meerendal, Hillcrest, Majik, Bloemendal, Cottersmanskloof, Hoogekraal (http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/) - some of the trails is open to members only. You also got the Bottelary Hills trails close by (http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/)

Edited by awesme

Does anyone have the link to the Tokai routes.

From the 2 sites shared it seems the rides are of a shorter nature.

Where do the Cpt guys ride to do say 50-80km, 500-750/900m ascent.

G

Does anyone have the link to the Tokai routes.

From the 2 sites shared it seems the rides are of a shorter nature.

Where do the Cpt guys ride to do say 50-80km, 500-750/900m ascent.

G

Trail map is here -

http://tokaimtb.co.za/trails/

If you loop from Tokai around Silvermine and back you can probably make up a ride of around 50km with a lot more than 900m ascent.

hmmm

would be nice if the legend on the bottom right showed the distances of each trail, for who ever maintains this page.

G

Trail map is here -

http://tokaimtb.co.za/trails/

If you loop from Tokai around Silvermine and back you can probably make up a ride of around 50km with a lot more than 900m ascent.

People staying in Blouberg, where do you go ride?

G

I'm also new to the Blouberg area!

hehehe

ye guys thats the revenge of the friendly mountains.

Looking at whats being posted most of the riding is shorted distances... with some scary climbing after 30km.

G

In most places around the cape you're going to get to 900m ascent before you get to 30km :)

People staying in Blouberg, where do you go ride?

G

I haven't been here long so only been to Tokai but will prob try out contemanskloof , Nikita etc round Durbanville area.

I haven't been here long so only been to Tokai but will prob try out contemanskloof , Nikita etc round Durbanville area.

that should be Ntida not Nikita, but that is only used as a link between trails and is for memebrs only. Best trails closest to Blouberg are Tygerberg Trails in Durbanville area. In order of preference (for me)

1. Hoogekraal

2. Contermans

3. Meerendal

4. Hillcrest (members only)

5. Majik Forest

and yes, an average 25km to 30 km ride on those trails will give you 800 - 900m of climbing. If you plan it right you can increase that to 1200m.

that should be Ntida not Nikita, but that is only used as a link between trails and is for memebrs only. Best trails closest to Blouberg are Tygerberg Trails in Durbanville area. In order of preference (for me)

1. Hoogekraal

2. Contermans

3. Meerendal

4. Hillcrest (members only)

5. Majik Forest

Haha ok!

Tx will give them a try. I'm on SS so I'm gonna die!

Most of the Tygerberg trails can be linked together if you are a member, which is now very affordable for the rest of the year.

If you string them together you can get a nice long ride in with some hectic climbing as well.