Silverback Sprada 1 (29er) or Silverback Slider 1 (650b)

Giba Nut

I have been offered either the Silverback Sprada 1 (29er) or Slider 1 (650b) at about the same price. I am very undecided. I am 1.75m tall, weigh 68kg and am relatively new to MTB. I ride mostly for fun at the moment but want to start doing more races, but I'm no racing snake. I enjoy technical riding and singletrack and want to develop my technical skills. Giba Gorge is where I ride most often. I cannot afford the more expensive full suss bikes like Scott and Giant. Which one should I go for?

I'm leaning heavily toward the 650b. I am currently riding a hard tail 29er. It rolls over obstacles really well, but it handles like a bus in the tight and twisty stuff. It's got slightly better as my skill level has improved, but I think the 650b will handle better and be more fun.

Edited by Giba Nut

I have been offered either the Silverback Sprada 1 (29er) or Slider 1 (650b) at about the same price. I am very undecided. I am 1.75m tall, weigh 68kg and am relatively new to MTB. I ride mostly for fun at the moment but want to start doing more races, but I'm no racing snake. I enjoy technical riding and singletrack and want to develop my technical skills. Giba Gorge is where I ride most often. I cannot afford the more expensive full suss bikes like Scott and Giant. Which one should I go for?

I am 1,78m and a few ( okay, a lot) of kilos heavier, ride 26 and 650b, go with 650 IMHO. I am a purely recreational rider and yes the 29er is fast in the hands of my racing snake buds but its not for me!

I'm leaning heavily toward the 650b. I am currently riding a hard tail 29er. It rolls over obstacles really well, but it handles like a bus in the tight and twisty stuff. It's got slightly better as my skill level has improved, but I think the 650b will handle better and be more fun.

The 650b handles more like a 26er than 29er... I think you will enjoy the 650b much more than the 29er. Try and ride a 650b to feel how it handles (even if it isn't the Silverback)

Edited by Pulse

Silverback slider is a very good handling and value for money bike.

I did a review on it somewhere, but can't seem to find the link with my cell.

The slider rocks

Yup, I'd say the Slider should suit you well. I went for the Sprada but that's because I'm in flat old Gauteng and I'm 1.93m tall, so can manhandle a bike a bit more. I'm still planning on getting a 650b bike later on.

I'm also considering between the two (Sprada and Slider). I'm 1.6m... so from this thread I guess it'll be the 650b

Silverback slider is a very good handling and value for money bike.

I did a review on it somewhere, but can't seem to find the link with my cell.

The slider rocks

I found the review thanks. It kinda made my mind up for me...the Slider it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Slider 1. Paid R24 000. Loving it so far. Not the quickest bike, but a great all round bike that will suit someone who rides more for enjoyment than speed. I'm getting used to the different shock settings, and will post a more comprehensive review of the bike after a few weeks of riding.

I got the Slider 1. Paid R24 000. Loving it so far. Not the quickest bike, but a great all round bike that will suit someone who rides more for enjoyment than speed. I'm getting used to the different shock settings, and will post a more comprehensive review of the bike after a few weeks of riding.

Get the rear can at 30% sag and work from that point on with you rear set up.... then get the fork to balance out what is happening at the back.

I found that with this and in trail setting (Fork fully open) the bike flattered my climbing abilities....the only time I used the lockout on the rear was on tar sections.

Glad you are enjoying the bike and surely hope you have swapped out the OEM grips :)