How difficult is it to build a new bike out of the box?

Catatonic_Joe

Hi, so I've ordered a Giant Anthem 27.5 1. I ask my LBS not to build the bike as I would like to this on my own. Will I need a torque wrench? How complete is the bike in the box.

From what I've seen on the net, I'll just have to put on pedals, the front wheel, the handlebar already has the shifter and brakes on, just need to connect it to the stem, and lube the chain. Will probably also need to adjust pressure and sag in fork and shock.... Am I missing anything?

Torque wrench would be a good idea... but for a new bike you probably want to check everything on the bike

I like building my own bikes from the frame up - however in this case I would let the bike shop put it together for me, reason being that they will be responsible for anything that goes wrong and anything that is wrong with the components out of the box - without it being built they would not be able to test the bike properly

Torque wrench would be a good idea... but for a new bike you probably want to check everything on the bike

I like building my own bikes from the frame up - however in this case I would let the bike shop put it together for me, reason being that they will be responsible for anything that goes wrong and anything that is wrong with the components out of the box - without it being built they would not be able to test the bike properly

Makes sense, think I'll do that

A box bike is usually fully complete, a decent mechanic will put it together in minutes.

If I was buying a box bike, I'd let the shop assemble it. That will eliminate any possible issues with warranties, damage etc.

Building up from scratch ie frame and parts, well that's another story. Nothing like it.

as above...if you want to learn then learn by replacing and repairing etc...will also give you time to get all the tools...chain whip , bb tool, torque wrench etc etc

Leave the shop build it then as others have said, you have warranties.

once the warranties have expired, and you need to replace parts, then is the time to learn how to build a bike... first of all you learn how to strip the part off the bike, so will know how the replacement part fits. Do part by part as and when and follow youtube and google how to, then you will be able to do it... provided you have the right tools

as above...if you want to learn then learn by replacing and repairing etc...will also give you time to get all the tools...chain whip , bb tool, torque wrench etc etc

I've use to service and upgrade my old bike on my own, so I kinda know my way around a bike. But yeah, I guess this time I'd rather let my LBS do it.

I've use to service and upgrade my old bike on my own, so I kinda know my way around a bike. But yeah, I guess this time I'd rather let my LBS do it.

Yeah. Best bet for a new bike. Also some warranties explicitly require the bike to be assembled by an authorised dealer in order for the warranty to be considered as valid.

One word...Warranty...if it ever came out that you built it and not the shop if there was a failure they would fight you

Enjoy your Anthem. It will be interesting to see how you like the 27.5....

Thanks... I'll post a review after I do a bit of riding on it.