Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

Technically not, the site did say "This route is suitable for all levels of riders (Titans, Legends, Warriors & Spartan Queens)" right at the top on this page: http://www.juma.co.za/race-info/ - and I guess the word "warriors" in that statement is open to interpretation, but, I took that to mean "weekend warrior", and I guess in theory, all of us who are not professional athlete's are technically classified under "weekend warriors" - not that I am implying everyone has the same level of skill of course.

Agreed totally... If u going to have a race of this scale with the amount of riders entered 80% of who wont be able to do those technical stuff make it enjoyable for them as well have more chicken runs.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Technical" is somewhat of a relative term. Some may find steep descents, switchbacks, drop offs and gap jumps technical, but can ride loose rocky climbs like a boss. Others can do most of those gravity type things, but can't get traction/power down to get up tricky climbs. (guilty over here!  :blush:  And I respect the ability of those that can ride up a landslide).

Due to it's urban nature, JUMA introduced obstacles not typically seen in other races... a different type of "technical". Some riders were excited about these challenges and attacked them head on... not always ending well, but it was their choice to try it. Others erred on the side of caution and chose to dismount and walk (ironically not safer on the scaffolding ramps).

There's no shame in walking an obstacle one isn't comfortable with. Heck, I've walked many. But courtesy is key when doing this. Keep to the side (out of the main line). Let those that want to ride it, ride it. I shouldn't make them walk just because I choose to.

One person's technical is another person's tame. Patience, consideration, and common sense will go a long way in keeping all happy.

Edited by patches

Also disappointed with the 1 water point as only took one bottle for the 52kms. International Trade, you were supposedly sponsoring the second water point, but you were not there.... Explain yourself!!

Well, technically we were not a water point - we were a Birzman tech zone - but the BOS iced tea people ran out of their juice at about 10:30. So they packed up and sent the scouts home. We then gave all of our personal water, fruit juice, coke, (beer and Jaeger was reserved for our Swampdog riding buddies :ph34r: ) to the desperately dehydrated last half of the field.

This was while Duncan and in his WWII Russian military bike with sidecar and my other half rushed off to clear the shelves of about 70 x 5 litre waters at every retail shopping centre in a 5km radius. Although it wasnt our responsibilty we just felt that it needed to be done. I'm sorry about the few hundred we had to turn away while this unplanned shopping spree happened. I hope you made it to the finish.

Just a few notes:

I let guys know that there was water in the scout hall loos, an 80m walk away, but no one I talked to was desperate enough to take 5 minutes to go and fill their bottles there.

You use bottles on the Spruit? Really? Most bottles and bikes I saw or worked on were covered with vile smelling substance of unknown origin.

The most common mechanical was an apparent lack of air in tyres. But seriously guys no tyres should be 2.5bars. It is just way too hard...

The many people whose bike's we sorted and wanted to know where to find us again - we are opening a bike workshop (with coffeshop later) across the road from Fratelli at the Spruit's Trailhead.

Had a blast. Yes there were plenty bottlenecks and some of the scaffolding's were not ideal but it was an awesome adventure.

Only major gripe was the one water point on the 52. They could easily of put two more along the course. Yes it was a long day in the saddle (just under 4hrs), but good fun non the less.

My rant would be riders just stopping in the middle if the trail. I mean seriously move to the side. You don't just stop your car in the middle of the road.

I agree 100%. This issue is my only gripe with not only this race, but all other races as well. Please guys, just move to the side so that other riders can pass if they can ride the technical sections. This is what caused most bottle necks on most races.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion! I only got my bike this year so I am new. I rode most of the tech parts just fine and pushed when others in front pushed. New guys need to learn skills. Guys who have been riding for years need to appreciate this. Rather support and encourage than demean. I do think for R350 there should be more than one water point. That is not crying or entitlement. It is professional and common sense. This was my second race ever. My first at Eqestra Avianto I did the 23km and it had 2/3 water points. There was definitely only one water point on my race yesterday. I rode M group. This was not an iron man endurance event to see who can survive on minimal fluids. It was a public urban race event. Multiple water points would be the norm and expected. Anyway. I really enjoyed the sand spruit side of the ride and it's a pity this river is buried or not accessible as the braam spruit is! Can the authorities not some how link the two rivers? That would be great and make for a super ride.

Just a question, when you ride your bike and train to get fit for a race, how many water points do you have along the way ?

The people seeded where I was seeded was also not the "ultra marathon" type, thus I was just refering to "marathon" (please not that in my previous post). Yes I have done quite a few of those already, not in the last year because they just a little bit too boring for me now (I guess that is why my seeding was only a M). Even before I 'upped my skills a bit' and when I rode with clips too I can actually not remember there being any technical sections that I had to get off and walk.

I agree 100% with you, the course wasnt technical, but to most of the people it seemed to have been and that is why I said in my previous post "Is that REALLY that difficult?" I even rode all the uphills yesterday while others were walking it (yes me with my extra body weight, baggies, flats and backpack)...hectic to think that was possible hey from a proper weekend warrior. 

I am assuming you are referring to the Ultras as I referred to them.

On the marathon side of things we have so many races nowadays and those same events or terrain used to be referred to as a ride, now they fall under a series and most have relatively tame routes that can become very boring.

The majority of the real hard rides have some seriously heavy technical sections thrown in to the mix.

I like to refer to the Attakwas as the great equaliser.

As for the event and the route design.

I personally feel that the organisers did a great job and went way out of their way to DESIGN a course as supposed to slapping route markers on to terrain to make up distance.

Many people can be glad it didn't rain, that would have made some obstacles a challenge for even the most skilled riders, the only constructive advice I might ad is that they look at putting chicken mesh over some of the obstacles for next year, just in case it rains.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Well, technically we were not a water point - we were a Birzman tech zone - but the BOS iced tea people ran out of their juice at about 10:30. So they packed up and sent the scouts home. We then gave all of our personal water, fruit juice, coke, (beer and Jaeger was reserved for our Swampdog riding buddies :ph34r: ) to the desperately dehydrated last half of the field.

This was while Duncan and in his WWII Russian military bike with sidecar and my other half rushed off to clear the shelves of about 70 x 5 litre waters at every retail shopping centre in a 5km radius. Although it wasnt our responsibilty we just felt that it needed to be done. I'm sorry about the few hundred we had to turn away while this unplanned shopping spree happened. I hope you made it to the finish.

Just a few notes:

I let guys know that there was water in the scout hall loos, an 80m walk away, but no one I talked to was desperate enough to take 5 minutes to go and fill their bottles there.

You use bottles on the Spruit? Really? Most bottles and bikes I saw or worked on were covered with vile smelling substance of unknown origin.

The most common mechanical was an apparent lack of air in tyres. But seriously guys no tyres should be 2.5bars. It is just way too hard...

The many people whose bike's we sorted and wanted to know where to find us again - we are opening a bike workshop (with coffeshop later) across the road from Fratelli at the Spruit's Trailhead.

Heh Robodog was gonna stop and introduce myself (as you are about to build my pascoe ) but was feeling ok and wanted to keep my rhythm. Lesson learnt fell arse of t^t 100 mts past your tent and lost all momentum anyway. And suffered like a big whining girl pants for the last Km's coz I was eina..... I knew when you were shouting out about jaggers I should of stopped and said Howzit. My bad !

My rant for the day - the crappy bell.

First didn't work. Asked for another which I duly got.

Got home and put on our three year old's bike to avoid a tantrum. Bell lasted about 5 mins of abuse and then gave in the goat.

Heh Robodog was gonna stop and introduce myself (as you are about to build my pascoe ) but was feeling ok and wanted to keep my rhythm. Lesson learnt fell arse of t^t 100 mts past your tent and lost all momentum anyway. And suffered like a big whining girl pants for the last Km's coz I was eina..... I knew when you were shouting out about jaggers I should of stopped and said Howzit. My bad !

Haha. Sorry about your bail but you were not alone. At least 1 in 20 who attempted to ride across landed on their arse.

I had an awsm ride. hardly had to wait at all other than at the RedBull section for a few minutes. Finished in Sub 3 for the 52km. I can see how the back groups got held up, lots of potential bottleneck locations.

Some more lighting the tunnels would of made it even better, but it was still an awsm event.

Personally think the bell was a great idea, I mean at the end of the day it is a bit of a 'thing' on the spruit, so very apt. For those who wanted a medal, tie some ribbon to it and hang it with the rest of your medals, bet it will be more of a talking point. As to the second water point, I think that was a fail on the Bos Ice Tea guys rather than the organizers. 

If you compare it to other events, I think it was exceedingly well organized, more man-made "props" than any other event and far more officials by a long way... Task well handled IMO and R350 was money well spent. The event is a brilliant concept, and I really hope they do more than one a year. I can't wait for the next one... bottlenecks and all!

Must say, I didn't realise the "technical line" was the alternative to "chicken run", but considered it a rather nicer warning than the "Hells bells there's a bloody dangerous 5cm drop in the road ahead" type of thing going up around some of the bike parks nowadays.

Personally think the bell was a great idea, I mean at the end of the day it is a bit of a 'thing' on the spruit, so very apt. For those who wanted a medal, tie some ribbon to it and hang it with the rest of your medals, bet it will be more of a talking point. As to the second water point, I think that was a fail on the Bos Ice Tea guys rather than the organizers. 

If you compare it to other events, I think it was exceedingly well organized, more man-made "props" than any other event and far more officials by a long way... Task well handled IMO and R350 was money well spent. The event is a brilliant concept, and I really hope they do more than one a year. I can't wait for the next one... bottlenecks and all!

The BOS guys were apparently told to cater for 1600 riders...

i think it was an awesome ride and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have to say think the stormwater and tunnel is not such a good idea - saw one oke who probably fractured his hip - a life changing event. It was slippery here and a fall here unpredictable. so hopefully this will be made safer for next year. otherwise an excellent ride. i found all the riders patient and courteous.

The BOS guys were apparently told to cater for 1600 riders...

Well in that case, strange why the organizers would put that figure to it...900 short!

Well done for manning the stand post them packing up!