Adverse Analytical Finding - in-competition test

News bot

How exactly does CSA fit into the picture re. doping and testing?

I understand that SAIDS do the actual tests, but do CSA give any input in how it is done, who gets tested, when, how often, or do they just announce the result, and deal with the fall-out afterwards?

Do the race organizers give any input, seeing as they pay for it (with our entry fees)?

Interesting point re. the Argus. Would like to see what the PPA does about it.

we asked for drug testing at the PPA Summer & WPCA winter league but the costs is too exhorbitant. we were advised to work thru provincial / national body who would then request on our behalf. CSA were very helpful but i can't remember if we had to then apply for funding thru a gov dept to pay for testing. in the end we coxed it the reason being workload. there is just too much to worry about on the day of an event without having the bloodsuckers requesting you to inform race number ## that he / she is "wanted" in the toilets.

SAIDS are at all nationals - who pays - i don't know. they normally test the podium winners and random riders.

i would love for them to be at our events not becos i am intrigued as to who would put in a "DNS" but for the education of the young riders who are starting out to race. out of sight out of mind.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the race organizers give any input, seeing as they pay for it (with our entry fees)?

I'm not aware that organisers pay for this.

They are requested to provide a suitable (private) place for athletes to be tested.

I was given a list of names and race numbers, by CSA officials, and asked that the names be announced at the finish (2014 Carnival City Macsteel National Classic). The start list had to be given to them to reference the riders against the race numbers. That's all that was required from an organiser.

I think testing is fantastic for the people who are racing for money. So in the older days this used to be for anyone holding a licence. Now however they make everyone take out a licence and I guess that is why they now test anyone and everyone.

But to be honest, when I was racing with the pro ladies I was very aware and careful what I took. However if I went and did a tour now and had flu or something, having paid in a fortune to ride this event and just to go and experience it and enjoy it. I wouldn't hesitate to think twice whether my painkiller was a banned substance or not, I would just take it.

So yay for testing but seriously, if you are going to do it, do it properly and test the people who need it, hence those racing for the prize money.

Lot's of very clean living people on this thread, I am glad to see that they read every little wrapper and soda can, don't take meds when they are ill and are all racing for the podium.

South Africa must have the most professional cyclists per square spoke than any other nation in the world.

Lot's of very clean living people on this thread, I am glad to see that they read every little wrapper and soda can, don't take meds when they are ill and are all racing for the podium.

South Africa must have the most professional cyclists per square spoke than any other nation in the world.

???

???

It's called reading the entire thread, lot's of good info in there.

You will learn that in South Africa we don't have amateurs, all riders are professional and testing random people who have no impact on the results will clean up the sport.

Hold on, back to basics:

http://www.cyclingsa...ILE00000782.pdf - page 3

A LICENCE (FULL RACING for MASTER [Veteran]) costs R350, which according to the CyclingSA rules, is required if you wish to participate in the following events:

• National Championships;
  • CyclingSA leagues;
  • Part of a team, with a team manager, and a following car.

This very same licence, according to their rules, is NOT REQUIRED for the following:

• Provincial Champs;

To apply for this RACING LICENCE, the person must be a MEMBER of CSA and a provincial affiliate.

Therefore, anyone taking part in the open seeded categories, is not a licensed cyclist but a MEMBER.

The minimum requirement is MEMBERSHIP, and these fees are paid to CSA as well as the provincial body (if setup on their website). Currently for Central Gauteng, this costs R75 for CyclingSA MEMBERSHIP and R75 for CGC MEMBERSHIP. There is no mention of any LICENCE for these types of cyclists.

The UCI consider this a "CYCLING FOR ALL" category and is not classified under the LICENCE category.

A DAY LICENCE is charged to cyclists that are NOT MEMBERS of CSA

So, if this person that nobody knows, has been tested it is because he holds a FULL RACING LICENCE which he paid R350 for. He would fall into the MASTER (Veteran) category and according to the rules is subject to be tested.

In summary:

All LICENCE holders are subject to being tested, not MEMBERS or DAY LICENCE holders.

The debate about the costs to test VETS is another debate.

The debate about the costs to test VETS is another debate.

Jip. Agree.

So let's do "Racing" and "Sportive".

Not age crap.

You either race or participate. Like Europe.

But better testing for the Race snakes.

But CSA will never go for this as the general income is generated from the participating peanuts and not the racing snakes.

It's called reading the entire thread, lot's of good info in there.

You will learn that in South Africa we don't have amateurs, all riders are professional and testing random people who have no impact on the results will clean up the sport.

Yes sorry, I missed a couple pages. :blush:

And kinda been out of racing for 4 years. Even any serious training. Real pleb these days.

Edited by Wonder Woman

Jip. Agree.

Not age crap.

But CSA will never go for this as the general income is generated from the participating peanuts and not the racing snakes.

I'm with you there.

Jip. Agree.

Not age crap.

Makes it easier too to be issued with a single race number for the year.

You race in the same category at each race for the year.