Which mtb pedals to buy

CJVDM

As mentioned before, for the Dusi2C race that wasn't possible as the rivers didn't have any bridges so you had to port your bikes.

I did the dusi2c this year, had no problems with the 520 and my partner had no problem with his 530 (the trail version).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the dusi2c this year, had no problems with the 520 and my partner had no problem with his 530 (the trail version).

Then it must be lack of talent cause after the 2nd waterpoint on day one i just could get them clipped in nor clipped out and saw my arse plenty times in the rocky technical section. To save my ego and justify (To myself) the NEED ( want-to-need as Eugene would say :whistling: ) for new pedals i'll blame the fact that they are hand-me-downs :thumbup:

Rub a candle on the contact points as part of your wash and lube maintenance. No more sticky.

(Pro tip - also works on door locks.)

Pedals need to be lubed also .Then the creaking that leads to the itch will stop .Look pedals will also make noises if they are neglected

Edited by Blitzer

interesting to hear we are not the only ones experiencing issues with shimano mtb pedals.

my ole man is on his 3rd set of XTR pedals this year!

XTR,s are soft and made for pro,s that replace them every couple of months ,not for us and certainly not for RSA dusty conditions

For some reason I lack basic foot-eye coordination resulting in many a pedal banging against a rock/branch/whatever. That being said my 520's have never let me down. Bombproof and easy to maintain, and if it gets caked with mud just clean it out with a bit of water and a twig and you're good to go. Those pedals will probably outlast my feet at the rate I'm going.

So what would you guys suggest using then for muddy conditions, as my Shimano (SH t Man O No) M520 are absolutely crap in these conditions.

On a very wet and muddy ride where you have to do some walking, simply lube the pedals with wet lube like you would your chain. I've never found the Shimano SPDs to get stuck, even in the Natal MUD at Sani.

interesting to hear we are not the only ones experiencing issues with shimano mtb pedals.

my ole man is on his 3rd set of XTR pedals this year!

The XTR pedals require some maintenance. Open it up once in a while, pump in some grease, check the seals and adjust the cones on the bearings. It is not a Toyota Hilux, more like a Lexus so it will require a bit more maintenance than the M-series

Im on my second pair of xt pedals now, i replaced the first pair beginning of the yr. The second pair is also failing now (weird creaking noises). Other than shimanos, which other pedals would you epic pros/single speed dudes and weekend warriors recommend?

Im looking at Look/time pedals but nit sure whether the higher price will result in better quality.... Need to decide tmwr though :-)

Have you considered servicing them.....?

I dont think the xt's can be serviced eg spindle taken out and regrease, at least thats what i was told when the first pair was retired. Went to bikeshop today to get the s-tracks but seems it was rather my one side bb seal that popped. Thus my xt's are good still.

BUT, those s-tracks look the part and would be my next choice should then xt's decide to go.

Been running CrankBrothers Candys since last year April and I love them. After I bought them I was worried, as people kept telling me that they break easily and I tend to clip pedals a lot, but I've had no issues.

I wanted to change from Shimano as they became really uncomfortable on long rides. The Candys are super comfortable.