Scott Spark 940 BB Problem

Pre-Loved Cycles

Hi, I need help asap. My Scott Spark 940 is making a cracking, squeaking, breaking noise coming from the crank/BB unit when riding in dusty conditions and the harder I pedal, the worse the noise. Its making me and the people I ride with mad. Do anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had the same problem? I had it serviced at various shops and nobody has been able to find the problem. Thanks

Hi, I need help asap. My Scott Spark 940 is making a cracking, squeaking, breaking noise coming from the crank/BB unit when riding in dusty conditions and the harder I pedal, the worse the noise. Its making me and the people I ride with mad. Do anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had the same problem? I had it serviced at various shops and nobody has been able to find the problem. Thanks

Perhaps, if you are in Gauteng (I can't see your location) give Chain Wizard (Casper 083 508 6490) a call. He will come out to wherever you are to sort the problem out. Chances are, if a bike shop couldn't sort it out he will be able to.

Spark 940 is pressfit, and they're notorious for creaking. Dust gets in between the mating surfaces and allows movement and it makes a noise. Remove, clean and reassemble using a decent non-emulsifying grease and your problem should go away. If not, look elsewhere. Pedals, seatpost, seat rails, bar/stem interface and skewers can all cause creaking. The sound resonates through the frame, particularly with carbon frames, which can make it very difficult to pinpoint.

Look at pedals as well. My father's bike was creaking badly. Sounded like bb. But after changing bb no difference. Then regreased the pedals and creak all gone.

That has happened to me as well - Bike Basement didn't tighten left hand pedal on delivery. Crank was clicking like mad until I decided to give it the once-over with a torque wrench. Problem gone.

• 1 month later...
Guest TheEpicOne

I bought a scott spark 910 2 months ago and have problems.

I get creaks and squeeks from my bike, local bike shop replaced pivots / bearings and tested the BB and according to them all fine but I still get the same creaks and squeeks!!! Very pissed off

Press fit bb must be dry assembled, no grease. Remove and clean bb, re-fit dry if its press fit. Get copper grease from any auto parts shop, put a little bit on all major bolts and threads. Shimano cranks, put a small amount on the 2 bolts and tighten with a torque wrench.

Check if the frame hasn't cracked..........these frames have a reputation for cracking on the chain stays

• 4 months later...