Bike rack options wanted

lechatnoir

Very good price considering new ones go for 5K!!!! :eek:

There was one on the hub for ages for R2250, I was surprised it sat around for so long!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the same one, got it for just under R3k from Cajees a while back. Very happy with it, I went for the platform one after losing my front wheel... don't ask, expensive lesson learnt.

And by same one I mean the Thule Raceway or some such.

Edit: Added last sentence.

Edited by Zaskar09

A great pearl of wisdom I learned (at the cost of a few peoples bicycles+garage doors) If you do use a roof rack. When your bike is on top of your car, put your garage door remote in the cubby-hole (or "glove compartment" for some refined folk).

Get home. "Where's my damn remote" , "Oh, bike on roof". "Thanks random Hubber guy"

thule euroway 3 bike - once the towbar is on properly is pretty cool.

last week it took me and my neighbour to get it on - but in the process he decided he wants to start cycling - so not a bad thing right. Just big and cumbersome for me to handle (k*k upper body strength)

Getting the bikes on and off is nice and easy - just getting the rack on and remembering to actually plug in the electric plug thing and not driving off with it dragging on the ground :blush:

I loved my roof racks as they are perfect if you want a quick hassle free ride. No mounting of bike rack etc etc. Unfortunately they don't make boots to fit my car :-( Need to get a towbar.....

...as the others have said: Thule with platform loading.

I had the others, and since I upgraded - no worry about bikes rubbing etc etc

Thule is the best I have found.

It has already been said. Thule.

I had a fixed towbar fitted to my wife's car at R2250 all inclusive from Towbar SA here in DBN. The Euroway 923 cost me R7k. It was one of those purchases that you never regret. I tried to make my own and it was a mission to load three bikes. The Thule just works really well and there are Thule dealers all over the place of you ever need spares. Their dealer network is a lot bigger than any of the other platform rack brands that I have seen...

I am happy with my boot mounted Buzz Rack. I used the rack on a Polo (hatch), Jetta (sedan), Fiesta and Hyundai I20 without any problems. :thumbup:

But I know there are better options out there!

I just have to laugh at people with the rear hanging type racks, takes so long to get multiple bikes mounted.... Roof rack... Takes me less than 2 minutes to put two bikes on my roof....

I just have to laugh at people with the rear hanging type racks, takes so long to get multiple bikes mounted.... Roof rack... Takes me less than 2 minutes to put two bikes on my roof....

My boot rack takes me like 5min to mount, put 2 bikes on and strap the bikes.

My boot rack takes me like 5min to mount, put 2 bikes on and strap the bikes.

With the designs of some of the frames it can take long to mount a couple of mtb on a hanging rack

With the designs of some of the frames it can take long to mount a couple of mtb on a hanging rack

The only downfall with my rack, not all bikes fit on it, and it does not fit on all cars (Audi A4 doesn't work). So, if I want a new bike, I'll first have to try and fit it on my rack.

Yeah, my car has a frameless rear window... Making it that i cannot hang a rear rack on the bike, and due to the body kit i have, i cannot put a tow bar, so i was pretty stuck with using a roof rack, happy that i got it, am very conscious of the bike on the roof when i drive, so no hassles with low bridges, petrol stations etc

I should probably Google this, but I always wondered how you fit a bike on a roof rack. I've been to a couple of races in my life, but never seen someone fit a bike on the roof. :eek: