Juicy 3 Rear Brake fade after bleed

New Landy new life

Hi Guys

I recently replace front and rear calliper seals and the front system works fine no issues.

The rear however has developed terrible fade after a few downhill’s where the lever eventually bottoms out and no pressure.

I tried bleeding them again and then the break works again for 10 minutes riding and then the lever starts to bottom out again.

Sometimes if I leave the breaks for a while and pump the lever again I get breaks again for a short time.

Is this air or possibly failed Lever Seals?

I had similar experience years back with a vehicle where the master cylinder seals were damaged when bleeding new seals installed in the wheel callipers, the old seals were not used to full travel while bleeding the breaks and had to be replaced in the master cylinder – hope that makes sense.

Any advise welcome.

Edited by CapeLandy

Had the juicy 3's and the front brake did exactly the same, after numerous bleeds, rebuilds and visits to the LBS I ditched them. Couldn't get it sorted.

We did however figure out that the problem is on the lever side, seems some of the seals on that side popped or something. Replaced them, happened again two weeks later.

Edited by Zaskar09

Droo,Capricorn,Mayhem or Peach is your only hope ........ unless you have the patience of a nun .. gl :thumbup:

Droo,Capricorn,Mayhem or Peach is your only hope ........ unless you have the patience of a nun .. gl :thumbup:

i see what you did there :P

There is almost certainly still air in the system. Lots of tapping on the lever and calliper and lots of pulling on the syringe. I recently blead my Elixir 7's and after bleeding them twice and still having the problem you are having, I gave them another bleed doing the above and couldn't believe the amount of air that came out.

29'er or 26" frame?

I have a perfectly working set at home (off a 26" frame), waiting for a new owner.

try put an elastic band around the brake lever, so that it holds the wheel in the brake position.. leave it overnight and see if it improves - sometimes it sorts it out... the lever may get more "power" after a while with the elastic band on. remove, pump the lever a bit and reapply the elastic band... hope it sorts it out for you..

The frame is 26 inch.

Let me try the air bleed for the fourth time.

I have tried with the bike at all different angles in the bike stand to try get the air out of the callipers.

Also screwed the lever pushrod all the way out (as per manual) and tried with callipers completely apart and also with them closer together to get more fluid in the system.

The tapping never raised any bubbles, but I sucked many times on the syringes on both ends until I thought there were no more.

Bloody difficult job this is!

Can’t see how the front breaks went like a treat but the rear are terrorising me.

Edited by CapeLandy

Ha.. he kind of did it himself ^_^ " hope that makes sense" :thumbup:

The frame is 26 inch.

Let me try the air bleed for the fourth time.

I have tried with the bike at all different angles in the bike stand to try get the air out of the callipers.

Also screwed the lever pushrod all the way out (as per manual) and tried with callipers completely apart and also with them closer together to get more fluid in the system.

The tapping never raised any bubbles, but I sucked many times on the syringes on both ends until I thought there were no more.

Bloody difficult job this is!

Can’t see how the front breaks went like a treat but the rear are terrorising me.

Yes, did mine on Sunday and my thumbs still hurt from the syringes :cursing: