Road bike weight

'hamster

Does your book mention anything about color, for years I've been told red, is the fastest color

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your book mention anything about color, for years I've been told red, is the fastest color

Can't recall reading about color but if you wrap your helmet in cling film you'll save watts

It doesn't matter.

You buy fancy **** because it makes you feel more awesome. This hobby is so much about the emotions. Performance is directly tied in to that. Feeling more pro is part of the fun.

The aesthetic of cycling is what makes it so wonderful. Down the generations there's things cyclists just do, because it looks right and because it feels right.

I'm as likely to buy a pair of shoes because they match details on my frame as I am to buy them for their performance. Genuinely, my new shoes made me faster because I felt great wearing them.

So you get the new ultra-lightweight wheelset. People pick up your bike to do that approving thing. Your bike's more awesome. You push yourself harder to do your bike justice. You look at your bike some more. You swap out your stem for one that works just a tiny bit better. You feel good. You push harder. You train more.

You're getting marginal gains all the time, not just physical but psychological too.

Any sport is as much heart as it is head. Just accept that shiny things affect your heart too.

Shaving to make you ride faster to avoid feeling stupid when a hairy leg overtakes you- how many watts is that worth?

Jcza- spot on. My 7.8k bike and extra 4kgs weight gets me downhill faster in an aero tuck, overtaking skinny ones on their 6.8kg bikes. They overtake me going uphill. Where's my aero advantage going up? Can't tuck in, but if I was 4kgs less and my bike weighed a kg less, I would stay with the skinny ones. It all comes down to your identity as a cyclist, it's importance in your life, cycling helping to define you as a person, your commitment to your sport, and to a degree, your self image, your self-stretch to match up to your delusions (at least in my case), your genes, power and fitness, your rivalry with your riding mates- all of this is much more important on your cycling performance than weight and aero- unless you are a pro going for marginal gains for a salary.

Hey Guys... thanks for all the replies... shoo!

My weight can't go any less as I'm currently weighing at 54.1 checked this morning :( and my wife keeps telling to put on more weight.

I still have to weigh my bike but I think it's around 10kg with all the pedals and stuff on.

Thanks!

My weight can't go any less as I'm currently weighing at 54.1 checked this morning :( and my wife keeps telling to put on more weight.

I still have to weigh my bike but I think it's around 10kg with all the pedals and stuff on.

Thanks!

54kg rider + 10kg bike = 64kg :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks!

Then tell her to get back in the kitchen and fix you a damn sandwich...!!!