Saddle Bag - MTB

Rotiringer

1. Someone once told me 1kg on the bike = 10 kg on the rider.

He was a big guys with a light bike.

Does anyone have real info on that.

2. Lower centre of gravity is good right ?

So sadlle bag is lower than camel back. if point one is BS

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before 1kg is one 1kg what makes it any different,it's like when they ask you,what is heavier a 1kg brick or 1kg feathers.

Not true. Lower centre of gravity makes it easier to change direction. That's all

It can be argued that it can act as a counter weight for sideways motion. Just joking

Anyway this thread topic ends with MTB we rarely sprint down mountains. For those of us not chasing the podium we also do not have sprint finishes.

Actually when racing down mountains is where I usually sprint most often. ;)

In 6 yrs of riding...NEVER lost a thing (buy a PROPER saddle bag!!) and never a cling..clong...(stuff it full of ****!! It's what its there for...)

I also like ny bag. Never lost anything. I only pack stuff in my shirt thats nit soft enough to land on.

Pfft!!

I'm waiting for the 1st scientific review to be done regards riding with or without a saddlebag and does having one as opposed to keeping in your shirt pocket or WB type make you faster or slower,

I think that's why I beat you ..... Scientific enough?

cling cling cing cling cling

Ask for receiver foam at any radio control hobby store and wrap your stuff in it with an elastic band .Best is a foam pipe http://www2.gpmd.com/image/h/hcaq1000.jpg

We don't use saddle bags because the pros don't. As soon as they start, it'll be the coolest thing to have on your bike.

I am ahead of the curve then

As I said before 1kg is one 1kg what makes it any different,it's like when they ask you,what is heavier a 1kg brick or 1kg feathers.
Agree with you, with two exceptions, wheels and tyres

Now how is this better than a saddle bag???? looks like a patch job. I had one and it did and looked worse.

The other problem I found with the saddle bags (cheap ones I tried anyway) is that when they get wet, things inside start to go miff! But this tool bottle gets used between my spare bike and the wifes bike when she is out on her rides. I haven't lost a saddle bag but have had one where the stitching/seam started coming apart and that would have been the loss of a couple of R's worth of gear.

Where the weight is located plays a huge role. Ask anyone who has done long distance touring. That 25 kg you lug around, do you want to carry it in a back pack or in panniers on the bike? Where do you pack your heavy stuff? In the lowest pannier of course.

See for yourself. Next time you do a night ride, cable tie the battery of your helmet light to your helmet, in stead of putting it in your back pocket. It only weighs about 250 grams, but your neck will feel like a piece of soggy spaghetty after a 4 hour ride.

Where you put the weight MATTERS! The heavier it is and the longer you ride, the MORE it matters!

Edited by DJR

Put your bombs inside bits of inner tube (road bike's for nice tight fit) and no more noise and as a bonus your hands won't get frostbite when using them.

+1.......my scrotiem appendix makes me look like a complete d1ck.......and Mother Teresa when I stop to help.......

(piktha for proof)

.......bike however looks lean and mean.......opposite to rider.....

It looks like you pack to be the TEAM's mechanic on an Adventure Race...

It looks like you pack to be the TEAM's mechanic on an Adventure Race...

Every race is an adventure......and helped two ladies with broken chains during the last race at Magoebaskloof.......nice way to get some free beers after an event........that is how my sponsorship business model works.

(What can. I say......I am cheap and easy)

Edited by BarHugger

I told hubby that until my watts per kilo equals or exceeds his, all I carry is tyre levers and sweeties!! ;)

Edited by blondeonabike