Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

The Sweat Shop is great if you want some expert advice. Local site is down at the moment but it's worth going down to their shop at Fourways Crossing.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Salomon XT hornets Ftw.

Takes a lot of adjustment getting your body used to the 'minimalist' style of running with Wyatt Earl style shoes. About 3 months. Expect injury if not done correctly

Just go to a good running shop. Everyone here will tell you what works best for them. But that is not what is best for you. And take your old running shoes with you when going. That way they can see where you wear down your shoes and how your foot strikes the ground.

Just go to a good running shop. Everyone here will tell you what works best for them. But that is not what is best for you. And take your old running shoes with you when going. That way they can see where you wear down your shoes and how your foot strikes the ground.

+1

Solid advice

2.4Km in army Boots.Now thats a blast from the Past.Should be posted in Who remembers Thread.

I did police training and got shin splits on 2.4km in boots all the time

I'm watching this thread and also hoping for an answer that works for me. I think choosing a new bike is easier than choosing running shoes. I decided to go the minimalist route seen as though I have zero running experience (does 2.4km in army boots count?). I bought the Merrell trail glove 2's. One day they are the best shoes I've ever owned and the next I have blood oozing out the sides of the evil things. Up hill I seem to be fine, but flats and down hill I get nasty blisters on the inside of my feet. I feel a calling to run, but need to find a way to hurt less.

You sound like me!

For the first 6 months of my running I had permanent elastoplaster taped across the inside of my feet.

I tried everything - Nike, Coloumbia, North Face, I had a pile of trail running shoes & they all hurt me.

Eventually somebody said - just go & buy a pair of Asics road running shoes instead of trying to be fancy with half trail etc. I went to Mr Price Sports & bought the first pair I saw that were on sale. Hardly looked at the size.

Best damn shoes ever - I ran them to shreds.

When it came to replacements, i went & got tested for pronating etc, went to two running shops, got measured for exact sizing - got shoes that are "slightly" trail shoes - Saucony. Blah blah blah. I HATE them.

And Ive hardly run since I got them.

Time for some more elcheapo Asics for summer I think!!

Oh and with Salomons the most important thing with the rubbers is to never leave them sitting in direct sunlight or even worse, in the car. There is something in them that just disintegrates. I dont have the trail ones, but I've had multiple pairs of hiking boots & I doubt I will ever buy anything else.

Have the Merrel Trail glove, it's important that they fit really tight around the foot and really loose arround the toes. Oh, and leave the socks at home!

Absolutely love them!

post-18337-0-21660600-1406796547_thumb.jpg

Salomons 100%. Just a matter of finding the shoe to fit your trail. I have a pair of Mantras for easy trails and use as regular shoes also, and Wings for more technical (also use them for hiking)

Love them, will never look elsewhere unless its for road running.

2.4Km in army Boots.Now thats a blast from the Past.Should be posted in Who remembers Thread.

2.4 in Jump boots is NOT a good memory.....

Been running with NB Mt-20's for the last year and they've been great to make the transition to minimalist shoes. "Upgraded" to the NB ZEROv2 a month ago and I've been BLOWN away with these babies!

You sound like me!

For the first 6 months of my running I had permanent elastoplaster taped across the inside of my feet.

I tried everything - Nike, Coloumbia, North Face, I had a pile of trail running shoes & they all hurt me.

Eventually somebody said - just go & buy a pair of Asics road running shoes instead of trying to be fancy with half trail etc. I went to Mr Price Sports & bought the first pair I saw that were on sale. Hardly looked at the size.

Best damn shoes ever - I ran them to shreds.

When it came to replacements, i went & got tested for pronating etc, went to two running shops, got measured for exact sizing - got shoes that are "slightly" trail shoes - Saucony. Blah blah blah. I HATE them.

And Ive hardly run since I got them.

Time for some more elcheapo Asics for summer I think!!

Oh and with Salomons the most important thing with the rubbers is to never leave them sitting in direct sunlight or even worse, in the car. There is something in them that just disintegrates. I dont have the trail ones, but I've had multiple pairs of hiking boots & I doubt I will ever buy anything else.

Get Injinji socks if those blisters ever decide to resurface.

I have the Salomon XT Wings. Really tough, great traction, no blisters. Can't really fault them.

I've been using asics trabuco trail shoes for a couple of years. Very comfortable shoes and they fit me perfectly. Its obviously a personal choice - see which shoe fits your feet the best and go from there. go to a good shop like the Sweat Shop.

I went through this exact same exercise recently.

Salomon and Adidas make great trail running shoes but they're not for everyone, especially if you have wide feet.

New Balance and Asics fitted me best and I ended up going with a pair of Asics Gel Fuji Racers. It was a great call as they tick all the boxes (lightweight, comfortable, good traction, well made etc.) and cost way less than I was expecting to spend (yes, I'm looking at you Mr Salomon).

Ultimately, I agree with what Titusrider said and go with a shoe that is comfortable and fits you properly rather than one that looks the nicest or has the coolest brand image otherwise you could be in for a painful offroad sufferfest.

Edited by cylon