Upgrading vs Second hand

Joshua1

Hi all,

I am looking for some help om my mountain bike. I am a beginner going on intermediate and looking to upgrade or perhaps buy a second hand bigger spec bike.

It is a Mongoose switchback expert(sportsmans).

It has mechanical discs and 3x8 speed. Atlas shifters, 63mm travel on shocks so all in all a very basic bike.

I would like to upgrade the shocks, brakes and drive train.

The big question is, do I upgrade and keep the frame or buy second hand?

Any help would be great!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Hairy said your budget most important... but I wouldn't put too much into that frame, rather look out for a fair priced 26" second hand bike

Yeah, have to agree with the above.The cost to upgrade all the stuff you want to will not be worthwhile.Best you wait, and get another bike - this depends on your budget of course.

Buy a 2nd hand 26er with SLX/XT spec. Currently it is a great buyers market for 26er mtbikes. On the same budget, you'll end up with a much better bike compared to upgrading parts on the bike you have now. (My 2c)

Buy a 2nd hand 26er with SLX/XT spec. Currently it is a great buyers market for 26er mtbikes. On the same budget, you'll end up with a much better bike compared to upgrading parts on the bike you have now. (My 2c)

100 million percentages

Well I saw a few bikes 2nd hand, dual suspension bikes for between R5k and R7k.

so I would not want to spend more than that on upgrading my frame.

Bike doesn't sound worth upgrading, rather sell it on gumtree (doubt it will sell on here), and find a good second hand deal.

Some really good deals go around if you keep your eyes open. Upgrading will work out more expensively, and you have to worry about compatibility of parts and pay someone to put it together if you're not doing it yourself.

Above that I doubt anybody will buy the parts you're taking off, whereas leaving the bike complete it will sell I reckon

As mentioned the price of second hand 26" bikes are in the toilet. You can pick up what was a top level race specced XC machine for the price of a tank of fuel nowadays....

As mentioned the price of second hand 26" bikes are in the toilet. You can pick up what was a top level race specced XC machine for the price of a tank of fuel nowadays....

What do you drive? :ph34r:

Definitely agree, I cringe sometimes when I see what some 26ers are going for.

You can always get a decent 26er second-hand, and then if you start getting into it, then you can upgrade to a new one.

I've had to make the same decision a week ago, either upgrade my Scott Aspect 30 or buy a second hand bike with better specs...

Needless to say, I bought a second hand Scott Scale 960 for half the price of a new one and I'm selling my old bike for less than what it cost me to do the tubeless conversion.

Bicycles are definitely not an investment...

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated, A bit off topic. Looking for a entry level race bike as well. Saw a RC3000 with 9 speed tiagra on it. Worth while bike for R2500? Still looks and rides smooth. Old bike obviously but in my mind would “last longer” than the mtb I bought in term of upgrading the race bike would not be necessary for a argus and burger tour?

Bicycles are definitely not an investment...

Bicycles are a great investment in all kind of ways: 1. Your sanity 2. Your health 3. The environment , just NOT a good financial investment :thumbdown: . Luckily money isn't everything! :thumbup: