Safety in numbers

Raydek

With the growing epidemic of bike-jackings and assaults on cyclist the consensus seems to be to ride in groups to deter these happenings.

Other than the hub and friends how does one know of rides in your particular area?

I have been looking into some social event sharing apps like Meetup or Joinin where one can list their cycle routine/event and others can find it by location, but these don't seem to work terribly well, or they need to be paid for.

Are there other alternatives out there? Some sort of community forum/location based app/site that will work? Where one can list their preferred cycling days, times, distance and area and it will hook them up with other cyclists with similar criteria in the area.

As stated I have tested the Joinin website and app and it works, but requires some tweaking as it isn't really designed for this application, and the map/address section is not very accurate, but at this stage it is the best that I can find.

Bike shops - they all have group rides, most of them have whatsapp groups where you can see/organize rides.