What do you think of e-bikes on your favourite trail?

Karakoram

I have only one question - where can I buy one.

This the perfect way for my girlfriend to come riding with me, without me having to really slow down, and without her having to feel like she's dying just to get up a small hill.

There was a mtb one at the knysna expo, about 14k. Want one for the exact same reason.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude you`re wrong, these things are getting faster and faster as tech moves on, just go onto youtube.

I believe so as DR informed me.Need to look at one.

I personally do not like the idea of e bikes on trails.

I do not believe they are safe for other users,these bikes can move fast and in the hands of an inexperienced trail rider can lose control and inure another person.

Keep ebikes on 4x4 and motorbike routes

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is a reason I don't downhill with the likes of MR. Minnaar. I can't handle my bike at that speed.

I don't have the skill nor the guts.

On MTB trails most can handle the speed they can generate themselves.

This is like putting a 6-year old on a quad bike, because it stands upright by itself and the little bugger can press the throttle. Then they wonder whey they spend their Saturday night at the ER.

As for the "it will help the less strong to keep up" argument.

Ride with your peers in terms of your capabilities. That is how it works.

Otherwise let me have a E-bike . . . . . because I want to ride with Nino and Julien and the boys and I can't keep up.

Hey! Invent something electrical to that I could go and play a game against the Bulls because at the moment I can not.

Edited by IH8MUD

Definitely no more threads like "So how much weight have you lost since you started cycling"... No more weight loss due to cycling. :whistling:

Edited by dre

That is one of the problems I foresee. Electric-motor cycles allows relatively inexperienced riders to go faster than their skills actually permit. The rider and very expensive ebike will soon be in the repair shop. That is okay by me, as long as damage claims does not affect the trail as we know it. I've taken the trouble to cycle at my wife's pace and it wasn't long before she wanted a better bike. Now I struggle to keep up with her. Simple, no e-anything required.

There is no way my wife would ever keep up with me, if she was keeping up with me I would have to send her overseas to turn pro. Maybe you need the e-bike :P

This is a great solution for bringing the wife along as she wont keep up on the hills but can roll along on the flat and downhill. I do not see my wife gunning down hill or tearing up any trails.

If it comes down to wear and tear on the trail, my wife plus a 22kg e bike is 80kg. That is a good 20-30kg less than some okes on the trails and she does not jump on the brakes etc.

We tested one in Knysna last year, very impressive.

There is no way my wife would ever keep up with me, if she was keeping up with me I would have to send her overseas to turn pro. Maybe you need the e-bike :P

This is a great solution for bringing the wife along as she wont keep up on the hills but can roll along on the flat and downhill. I do not see my wife gunning down hill or tearing up any trails.

If it comes down to wear and tear on the trail, my wife plus a 22kg e bike is 80kg. That is a good 20-30kg less than some okes on the trails and she does not jump on the brakes etc.

We tested one in Knysna last year, very impressive.

My wife is lighter than yours :ph34r: :P :ph34r:

My wife is lighter than yours :ph34r: :P :ph34r:

Only one way to settle this, 3 min test on watt bike at virgin active and work out watt per kilogram

Would you want this KTM on your local trail.. It's still a 80kg+ E bike.

The Stealth is a 53kg Beast with 60+km top speed.

At the bottom is a Typical Bosch driven E-Bike.

The lines will be blurred in what people will think is acceptable.

In the UK we'd have to carry our bikes over a Stile which prevented the Dirtriders and horses from going any further.

post-58648-0-64250300-1407179060_thumb.jpg

post-58648-0-41585200-1407179100_thumb.jpg

post-58648-0-81721500-1407179211_thumb.jpg

post-58648-0-03326500-1407179741_thumb.jpg

e-bikes will be cool for those that sukkel to climb, it is there issue if they don't want to get stronger, at least they get to enjoy the ST coming down, don't see the battery helping there, that will be all skill.

The key is that for climbing, the speed must not be ridiculously fast where it poses a danger.

anything to get more people on bikes. We need that.

Would you want this KTM on your local trail.. It's still a 80kg+ E bike.

The Stealth is a 53kg Beast with 60+km top speed.

At the bottom is a Typical Bosch driven E-Bike.

The lines will be blurred in what people will think is acceptable.

In the UK we'd have to carry our bikes over a Stile which prevented the Dirtriders and horses from going any further.

I am fine with those, once the battery runs out they have to pedal 54kg bike back to the start. Thats gonna be killer.

The Darwin award will stop most people racing downhill. With a max speed of only 60, there are plenty folk that can also do that down a hill.

It is the same problem that there is at the moment with slower riders being overtaken. Sometimes you get a polite guy behind that will wait behind and pass when safe, there are others that will pull a wheelie and just ride over you.

Do not think the e-bike is the problem, people are the problem.

See them all the time on the road...and have no problem.

Ok...i do have one....trying to catch the rider in front of you on the trail.When you do eventually catch up you see they on a E-bike.

Wouldn't mind this one

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/specialized-turbo-e-bike-for-united-states-north-america.jpg

That's nonsense

They are perfectly safe and move just as fast as normal bikes

I don't think that is the case anymore.

A couple of us spotted some guys testing a pair of e-bikes at Tokai recently and had a chat with them.

They mentioned that one of the bikes was seriously powerful and had enough oomph to pull a wheelie and throw the rider if too much throttle was applied.