Somerset West Commuting

DamMTBer

To all Somerset West commuters.

I have read a couple of posts here from Somerset west commuters.

The family and I have chance to relocate to CT and would like to stay in Somerset West.

I am considering commuting, but realised after 3 years of the bike what is realistic, so my question.

What train service/bus service are available that would leave a 20km commute to Cape Town CBD.

Keeping in mind that I am resident of Gauteng and would lik have specifics regarding location and if possible street names.

Gratefully

Meaning you would like to take a morning train from Somerset West, get off at a station about 20 km from Cape Town City centre and ride the last part on your bike? And do the reverse in the evenings? I'm not sure what to tell you, because I think you will have to get off at a dodgy station and then ride along unsafe roads for most of it. The cycle route from that side does not exist yet. Only the last little bit from Woodstock into town has been built. Let's hear if anyone does a commute like you intend. From the Blouberg (Northen, Table Bay) side you can have an ideal commute along a dedicated cycle lane. If you want to make daily commuting part of your life, that would be the perfect place to live.

What DJR said ... plus you are not allowed to take a bike on the business express train.

We investigated some options for SupremeLady to get some extra training in before the Epic.

She commuted from Somerset to CT with the Metro Business Express which is way better and safer than the normal train.

Getting off at dodgey stations or leaving your bike somewhere wasnt an option.

We ended having to leave her car overnight somewhere.

Drive with car and bike to Kuilsrivier, get on train go to work and get off at Kuilsrivier again. Park car somewhere safer, get bike out, go cycle.

Not alone, I would meet her at the parking spot, Kuilsrivier is dodgey enough that I didn't want her out there alone. Cycle through Stellenbosch to Somerset (home) or wherever before darkness.

Next morning cycle back to car, bike in car, park at station and get on train. I would cycle back to work in Stellies from there.

Not ideal but at least we got a couple of extra miles in with the time constraints given.

Edited by Tankman

Oh and getting a shower in before work is the next challenge ... luckily there was a Virgin Active next door to her work.

Train arrives in CT at 8am, work is 20min walk from station plus shower, to be at work 8:30!

And luckily she doesnt do that commute any longer!

Edited by Tankman

If you're still looking for a place to stay, and the wife ismt already employed in s West, I'd do as DJR has suggested, or rather go to the southern suburbs (tokai, bergvliet, Plumstead etx) as your commute in will be along far better routes.

From s west there just isn't the bike lane infrastructure - yet - And the business express train (the only one I'd use) doesn't allow you to bring your bike on.

My vote - blouberg / tableview / milnerton / sunset beach area. Brilliant links into the city and a really nice place to live.

We just did the move down to SW at the beginning of the year (also from JHB)

SW is a lovely place to stay and has some magnificent weekend riding routes

I have asked a few locals with regards to riding to CT (on a weekend ride) and it seems quite a challenge, so i should imagine that a full commute on a week day almost impossible - unless the business train allows you to take your bike which it seems not.

Good luck with the move - brace yourself for the wind - it is mind blowing

Even more so if you are going to stay in Blouberg or Melkbos area. Most windiest places in CT area are: Blouberg, Melkbos, Milnerton, Fishhoek, Strand, Gordon's Bay. Southern Subs are OK so long as you are English. Not a lot of Afrikaans schools there.

Hi All,

You guys are scaring me with the wind stories.

I am originall from PE.

That is disappointing that a commute would be so difficult.

Why is the business express the only option , are the normal option that bad.

What DJR said ... plus you are not allowed to take a bike on the business express train.

We investigated some options for SupremeLady to get some extra training in before the Epic.

She commuted from Somerset to CT with the Metro Business Express which is way better and safer than the normal train.

Getting off at dodgey stations or leaving your bike somewhere wasnt an option.

We ended having to leave her car overnight somewhere.

Drive with car and bike to Kuilsrivier, get on train go to work and get off at Kuilsrivier again. Park car somewhere safer, get bike out, go cycle.

Not alone, I would meet her at the parking spot, Kuilsrivier is dodgey enough that I didn't want her out there alone. Cycle through Stellenbosch to Somerset (home) or wherever before darkness.

Next morning cycle back to car, bike in car, park at station and get on train. I would cycle back to work in Stellies from there.

Not ideal but at least we got a couple of extra miles in with the time constraints given.

Tankman so where did you park the vehicle?

We just did the move down to SW at the beginning of the year (also from JHB)

SW is a lovely place to stay and has some magnificent weekend riding routes

I have asked a few locals with regards to riding to CT (on a weekend ride) and it seems quite a challenge, so i should imagine that a full commute on a week day almost impossible - unless the business train allows you to take your bike which it seems not.

Lone One, why did you move or leave Jozi?

Tankman so where did you park the vehicle?

Lone One, why did you move or leave Jozi?

I got a transfer down here - not a bad place to be transferred to!!

Alot of Vaalies are infiltrating SW at the moment all i see are GP cars around - at least they bringing some normality to driving!!

As far as i know there is a business bus that leaves from SW (quite early am though, apparently leaves by the park next to the police station)

Be sure to shout when down here, riding partners are scarce - the guys you do meet are pretty cool guys though (when you meet them)

Even more so if you are going to stay in Blouberg or Melkbos area. Most windiest places in CT area are: Blouberg, Melkbos, Milnerton, Fishhoek, Strand, Gordon's Bay. Southern Subs are OK so long as you are English. Not a lot of Afrikaans schools there.

The world wide wind originates from Gordans bay, there should be a disclaimer on a board as you approach warning the weight weenies of the danger - i have almost literally been blown off my bike

Honestly still getting use to the wind down here - comes out of no where rattles you stickent and then gone!

So it appears that things are on the up in CT.

Def - just be prepared to sell your kidney to buy a house down here - property prices are ridiculous for what you get.