Bicycles with petrol engines

I am not sure how many of these anybody has seen, but in PE this is becoming quite popular and these things are an absolute nuisance, let alone downright dangerous.

They are able to do in excess of 35km/hr on standard brakes, in most cases that I have seen V-brakes, no lights, indicators, etc.

Where does the law stand on this??

This morning I was driving behind one doing 40km/hr, no helmet, small red light at the back. The guy didnt stop at stop streets at all. Surely this is not on and giving cyclists a bad rep??

Is it just me or has anyone else seen this new trend?

I am not sure how many of these anybody has seen, but in PE this is becoming quite popular and these things are an absolute nuisance, let alone downright dangerous.

They are able to do in excess of 35km/hr on standard brakes, in most cases that I have seen V-brakes, no lights, indicators, etc.

Where does the law stand on this??

This morning I was driving behind one doing 40km/hr, no helmet, small red light at the back. The guy didnt stop at stop streets at all. Surely this is not on and giving cyclists a bad rep??

Is it just me or has anyone else seen this new trend?

Does it look like this?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/141655-helpmytrap/

?? I regularly do in excess of 35 km/h with standard brakes, no lights or indicators on my bikes. On a downhill even faster.

?? I regularly do in excess of 35 km/h with standard brakes, no lights or indicators on my bikes. On a downhill even faster.

Phfft only 35km/h:ph34r: need to do some more training. :P

Had a muppet riding one of those contraptions fly over a red traffic light in the dark last night and missing ending up in the bullbar of the Landy by the width of his ball hair. No lights to speak of. That in the rain and with the roads as slippery as snot in Cape Town. He came charging out of UCT Upper Campus, I hope he isn't a student there. I would think they admit only smart(er) people.

Hahaha.

I know what a motorbike is, these are a kit that you buy and then retro-fit to a bicycle.

Guys at Steves Auto Clinic in PE built one of them

They sell these at one of our local motorcycle shops.they take a R900 bicycle,bolt on this R1500 2stroke kit and then sell it for R5k.Ripoff!

They look like alot of fun,but I dont see the point in owning one though.Might work as a cheaper option than quads for farmers.

I doubt it would even be legal on a public road.

• 6 months later...

I am not sure how many of these anybody has seen, but in PE this is becoming quite popular and these things are an absolute nuisance, let alone downright dangerous.They are able to do in excess of 35km/hr on standard brakes, in most cases that I have seen V-brakes, no lights, indicators, etc.Where does the law stand on this??This morning I was driving behind one doing 40km/hr, no helmet, small red light at the back. The guy didnt stop at stop streets at all. Surely this is not on and giving cyclists a bad rep??Is it just me or has anyone else seen this new trend?

Hey there I am a new user I have one of those petrol powered bicycles and it is a blast to drive. I just wish more people will get them. I always stop at stop signs and I have indicators front and back 11 lights in total on my bike but still people dont see me

Wake up road users we are here to stay

If it doesn't make a noise, get as much help my trap as you can handle, but PLEASE keep that filth off the trails. Half of the appeal of cycling is that you can just hear the wind and the knobblies. Noise pollution on the trails are not cool!

If it doesn't make a noise, get as much help my trap as you can handle, but PLEASE keep that filth off the trails. Half of the appeal of cycling is that you can just hear the wind and the knobblies. Noise pollution on the trails are not cool!

hehehe then ill stay away with my 9er as well, because those brakes make lots of noise

I'm sorry if this comes across a bit on the aggressive side but if I meet someone with a "help my trap" on the trails I'm seriously ripping out his spark plug and donnering him with it!