Local import decision makers

(Deon)

I could go through all tyre manufacturers and list a high performance 26” product still in production from each but the short list below shows & proves that support is across the board.

Tyre manufacturers are still committed to producing tyres for all available wheel sizes for every discipline, but I can’t see them continuing if the local distributers do not support the existing local market.

So I ask you, who will kill the 26” wheel?

Manufacturer, Product:

- Continental, Trail King

Full range

- Maxxis, High Roller II

Full range

- Kenda, Nevegal X Pro

Full range

- Onza, Ibex

Full range

- Schwalbe, Magic Mary

Full range

- WTB, Vigilante

Full range

26” rims are still in production and available locally from an extensive list of shops. You will still find high performance parts or wheel-sets being sold at competing size prices but you will be hard-pressed to find high performance rubber to wrap it.

Why is there a disconnect between who rides and who imports and can something be done about import choices before it’s too late?

Edited by Pain or shine

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could go through all tyre manufacturers and list a high performance 26” product still in production from each but the short list below shows & proves that support is across the board.

Tyre manufacturers are still committed to producing tyres for all available wheel sizes for every discipline, but I can’t see them continuing if the local distributers do not support the existing local market.

So I ask you, who will kill the 26” wheel?

Manufacturer, Product:

- Continental, Trail King

Full range

- Maxxis, High Roller II

Full range

- Kenda, Nevegal X Pro

Full range

- Onza, Ibex

Full range

- Schwalbe, Magic Mary

Full range

- WTB, Vigilante

Full range

26” rims are still in production and available locally from an extensive list of shops. You will still find high performance parts or wheel-sets being sold at competing size prices but you will be hard-pressed to find high performance rubber to wrap it.

Why is there a disconnect between who rides and who imports and can something be done about import choices before it’s too late?

If there is enough demand, they will stock...but like you pointed out, there isn't alot of stock. SA market is predominantly marathon...hence the shops stock 29 and 27.5

No use in keeping dead wood on shelves so to speak

If there is enough demand, they will stock...but like you pointed out, there isn't alot of stock. SA market is predominantly marathon...hence the shops stock 29 and 27.5

No use in keeping dead wood on shelves so to speak

The thing is, Roux, that there IS demand. We just have to go overseas (bikediscount.de, on one, ebay etc) to get them, 'cos the local distributors are 29 & 275 befok. If the distributors brought in sixer rubber, in proper sizes and selection, they WOULD sell.

I'd LOVE to buy a Magic Mary, a Vigilante, Rubber Queen etc locally, but due to the distributors not willing to bring them in, it forces us overseas. And then they have the temerity to blame US for loss of sales.

I'd also love to get the agency for Schwalbe or WTB. I'd bring in the full range, because I KNOW they'll sell. Downhillers, trail riders, general weekend warriors. We all either have sixers, or know someone who has them. And they're not going anywhere.

It pisses me off no end.

The thing is, Roux, that there IS demand. We just have to go overseas (bikediscount.de, on one, ebay etc) to get them, 'cos the local distributors are 29 & 275 befok. If the distributors brought in sixer rubber, in proper sizes and selection, they WOULD sell.

I'd LOVE to buy a Magic Mary, a Vigilante, Rubber Queen etc locally, but due to the distributors not willing to bring them in, it forces us overseas. And then they have the temerity to blame US for loss of sales.

I'd also love to get the agency for Schwalbe or WTB. I'd bring in the full range, because I KNOW they'll sell. Downhillers, trail riders, general weekend warriors. We all either have sixers, or know someone who has them. And they're not going anywhere.

It pisses me off no end.

Not the numbers that would warrant bringing containers of it though...if it was the case there would be stock. I don't think distributors are involved in a plot to overthrow the 26 inch wheel brigade. They will bring in what sells...no matter the product. Dead wood for them is bad news, its basically a hemorrhage for your cashflow in a very small market like SA

It is what it is.....we all knew it was coming though.

Relatively small market in SA + Predominantly a marathon culture given the terrain and events = No 26inch stock

Not the numbers that would warrant bringing containers of it though...if it was the case there would be stock. I don't think distributors are involved in a plot to overthrow the 26 inch wheel brigade. They will bring in what sells...no matter the product. Dead wood for them is bad news, its basically a hemorrhage for your cashflow in a very small market like SA

Relatively small market in SA + Predominantly a marathon culture given the terrain and events = No 26inch stock

Ja but bro, there's very little stopping them from bringing in smaller amounts of stock in addition to the stuff they're bringing in at the moment. It'd br a brilliant decision. Not like the one the WTB okes took to "stop" importing the Weirwolf, Weir's signature tyre, when the Bronson came out.

We bring in various 26" models every month - but all of it ordered from us via e-mail due to the small market compared to 29" . If you need something drop us a mail at info@evobikes.co.za

26 is dead in South Africa, so guys will have to order overseas and then local shops will b*tch again about not being supported....catch 22.

one day we will have world peace and everyone on 650b

Ja but bro, there's very little stopping them from bringing in smaller amounts of stock in addition to the stuff they're bringing in at the moment. It'd br a brilliant decision. Not like the one the WTB okes took to "stop" importing the Weirwolf, Weir's signature tyre, when the Bronson came out.

Sure it could work for the smaller distributors, you know cater for a very niche market and it will probably end up like that. But the big boys are interested in moving stock fast...making money. It will be better for them to bring in the more popular sizes because they will move faster and take up less warehousing space etc etc. Making 50 rand profit of twice is better than making 80 rand profit once for the same cycle.

We bring in various 26" models every month - but all of it ordered from us via e-mail due to the small market compared to 29" . If you need something drop us a mail at info@evobikes.co.za

Nice one evobikes......

I am good thanks Naas....have clown wheels in my stable...

But as you can see cpt....its becoming more a value add to customers than profit stream.

Hey Naas,

are you bringing in the Magic Mary yet? And the Rock Razor? 2 tyres I am VERY interested in, and I know of a lot of people who have been forced to buy from overseas as a result of the pathetic local stock levels.

Also - I reckon the lack of general local support has forced people to look online, and discount any local retailers, which is why you're not seeing the movement you were expecting.

I could understand the culling a few years down the line when the market for 26 tapers, but for it to be in the same year as industry adoption of the new wheel size seems a bit premature. Bike manuf. are only starting to produce 650b en masse now, yet we see a sudden demise in this tyre size. There is bound to be an outcry as riders with heavy investment in 26" kit find very little support in what is still today, the largest percentage of bike owners. This number will obviously change in the near future as less 26" bikes produced but for local manufacturers to abandon a segment seems suicidal. It's like not getting spares for a normal phone because smart phones are now more popular.

I am good thanks Naas....have clown wheels in my stable...

But as you can see cpt....its becoming more a value add to customers than profit stream.

Yes I agree. Which is why most of our sales originates from e-mail requests. That is exactly the niche we are trying to fill while still supplying mainstream goods as well...

Yes I agree. Which is why most of our sales originates from e-mail requests. That is exactly the niche we are trying to fill while still supplying mainstream goods as well...

Awesome result.... :thumbup:

I could understand the culling a few years down the line when the market for 26 tapers, but for it to be in the same year as industry adoption of the new wheel size seems a bit premature. Bike manuf. are only starting to produce 650b en masse now, yet we see a sudden demise in this tyre size. There is bound to be an outcry as riders with heavy investment in 26" kit find very little support in what is still today, the largest percentage of bike owners. This number will obviously change in the near future as less 26" bikes produced but for local manufacturers to abandon a segment seems suicidal. It's like not getting spares for a normal phone because smart phones are now more popular.

The problem is that local distributors does not believe in 26" at all. A few were also caught off-guard by the mass-migration to 29" and simply cleared their stock eventually. A conversation I had with a prominent tyre distributor went as follows: " No there is only a PERCEIVED demand for 26", That was a reply when I asked him to order FIFTY 26" tires only on his next order...