I don't want to look like Chris Froome...

So, I've been riding quite seriously for about a year. I've been training really hard on the bike and my IDT fro the last 6 months.

I've now dropped 2 kilograms and my legs are getting stronger.

But, my upper body is starting to look like Chris Froome's - white, pasty and without any muscles or definition. Yuk :eek:

I'm currently doing cycle training 4 or 5 days a week. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions with regard to training my upper body so I don't look like a wimp, when I take my shirt off?

I'm 50, done some weight training previously and spent some time in the gym.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's ok to look like Froomedawg.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S9jVpjT86GI/UNMG4WbUNrI/AAAAAAAAOiE/RaDfc-KX0Tw/s320/forskud-michael-rasmussen.jpg

get worried when chickenlegs is checking you out in the mirror.

Lots Loccc

So, I've been riding quite seriously for about a year. I've been training really hard on the bike and my IDT fro the last 6 months.

But, my upper body is starting to look like Chris Froome's - white, pasty and without any muscles or definition. Yuk :eek:

I'm currently doing cycle training 4 or 5 days a week. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions with regard to training my upper body so I don't look like a wimp, when I take my shirt off?

Lots of protein and klap the gym!

ok, that might have freaked you out. here is the same guy before he was a roadie. those stripes are not for show

http://www.fattirefotos.com/individuals/rasmussen/2000/F00003.JPG

and that's your answer. don't only ride on the black stuff

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/south-africa.aspx

Same here, been riding for a year and dropped 15kg. Legs look awesome now... upper body not much so I decided to start swimming. Seems to be doing the trick without putting on too much bulk. Only problem is that I am now having delusions of doing the iron man!

Not too worry, to get your body fat to Froome's proportions you will have to take much more drastic measures than a bit of weight loss.

Train your upper body is a similar way you train your legs. Get a punch bag n do at least 30 min 3-4 times a week.

If your friends tjune you for having a lekker farmer tan and skinny white arms.

You need new friends! You must wear it with pride!

You have put some decent hours into getting skinny arms, you should be proud of it :thumbup:

Same here, been riding for a year and dropped 15kg. Legs look awesome now... upper body not much so I decided to start swimming. Seems to be doing the trick without putting on too much bulk. Only problem is that I am now having delusions of doing the iron man!

Sign up for midmar....its a jol.....we smack each other silly sprinting for the first 150m meters until we find someone with good pace, that can swim straight to draft behind!

Swimming is a gr8 option, and if you do some sessions with paddles it will work those lats and shoulders a bit more without bulking up...BUT often people dont have the time to actually get around to swimming enough.

The quickest and easiest option is to do some upper body exercises at home using your own body weight (Push up for example) or light weight dumbells.

Sign up for midmar....its a jol.....we smack each other silly sprinting for the first 150m meters until we find someone with good pace, that can swim straight to draft behind!

don't tempt me

Like cycling GPS aplications there are also training aid applications if you want motivation and or guidance.

As my tech is none existent I us the wife's Windows based phone where I found a series of apps that makes ordinary workouts more interactive. They are "The Push up App", "The Squat App", "The Sit up App" and one other I cant remember now. It starts you off from the level you are at and work towards achieving a goal of 100 push ups or with other workouts 200. I feel a lot better and can see my upper body growing stronger as I achieve more reps. It also sets goals which is always important for that achievement factor.