User Review: SRAM Guide RSC brakes and Centerline Rotor

Capricorn

SRAM recently released the Guide family of brakes that supercedes the Avid range of brakes. SRAM claims its been designed from the ground up to essentially address all the long standing problems that plagued Avid brakes. I recently received the RSC model to find out if SRAM has succeeded.

Click here to view the article

I've been considering the R version, I doubt I will use all the top line features.

Unfortunately only the RSC has been reviewed anywhere.

I've been considering the R version, I doubt I will use all the top line features.

Unfortunately only the RSC has been reviewed anywhere.

Its only the RS and RSC models that utilise the swinglink tech, whereas the R and DB5 models utilize only directlink. I'm just surmising, but the feel of the brakes will be different. I'm hoping my LBS can swing me an R model, so I can do a comparison.

Nice review, ... I'm was hoping to hear how they compare in terms of noise, also how easily they bleed, etc..

The callipers are the same as the Trail callipers - and they are quiet - at least as good as XTR are on the noise front -

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wanting to come back and comment on this...

As you may have seen, I rode these on the 2015 S-Works the other day. Of all the blingy goodies on the bike, I was most surprised by the RSCs. I was expecting them to be like all the Avids I'd tried before, but boy was I wrong! Two things stood out:

• Modulation. Specifically how early the ramp-up starts. My XTs are extremely precise, but they're essentially in free-fall until you hit a definite bite point. These start biting really early in the stroke, extremely lightly, and then build up very predictably. There is no "oh crap, it's locked again" point.
  • Lever resistance. They have a really solid feel to them. I initially thought it would tire my fingers out, but it actually provides more control. They feel more akin to something you'd find on an MX bike than on a bicycle.

It's great to hear all the positive feedback. I've just put these on a Momsen Vipa that I build up as my dream bike. Going to Thaba on Saturday to try everything out and really looking forward to it!