bike size

Cois

How do you know if a road bike is to small for you?

I have a 52 cm bike.

I am 173 cm short

with a leg lenth of 74 cm.

Bike to small or not?

Can lift the weel about 10 cm's

Will try to get one. I am all alone at work right now. Will see if I can get one by this weekend

Okay checked all my books out.  Say nothing about ideal formulae, but look on the web (google it).  All books say that the reach is the most important.  If you have a normal saddle (not a ultra long flight or arione) push your elbow into the tip of the saddle.  Your knuckles should just touch the steering column.  Pay with the stem length and height until happy.  (note this assumes that the saddle fore and aft position is correct.) for TT the knuckles will be more forward of the steering column.  ext.  (Again this is rule of thumb.)  If you are on a giant remember stand over is irrelevent as it is a slopped frame.  However, if you place more than two to three cm of spacers in to raise your handle bars or have a stem shorter than 8 cm (both being dangerous), then shop around for a frame with better geometry.  (note also the seat post extension.  If you have to raise the seat post beyond the minimum proturtion line then the frame is definitely to small.  ps on a sloped frame the seat post must be raise more than a classical frame which is about a fist width).

As a mountain biker remember that roadies raise their saddles a little higher, and drop their handle bars between 5cm and 15cm lower.  (On a 52cm if it is the right size I (personally) would only have them 5cm lower than the top of the saddle.  Remember when in drops your elbow and knee should just brush or have about 2cm gap.  Elbow bent of course.(remember the "can't see the front axel test as well