Its an uphill battle!

PrinceVlad

Hi Guys

I am doing the Bela Bela 5150 as my first triathlon and just want some advice.

Last year when I did the 94.7 I weighed 128kgs and I am now about 112 and still planning to lose more, but won't lose that much in the next two weeks. You can imagine that hills are a nightmare. during my last two bike workouts I stood up during the hills and slowed thr cadence way down and the hills just seemed easier. Which is better on hills...standing or sitting?

Another question...I received my trisuit and there is simply no way I am wearing that on the day. Do you guys know of any Tri Suits that are available in bigger sizes. The one I got is a FTech 3XL which according to the website is the largest size they have. What other options do I have for Race Day apart from a trisuit?

Thanks

Standing is fine, u will get more out of ur legs by staying in the saddle in the longer climbs try engage the glutes more(lean forward while seated) use the standing more as a chance to give the muscles a brake as a different set of muscles come into play when u stand.

See what feels comfortable, I use the standing position to increase my effort or up the tempo, I spend about 90% of the ride in the saddle.

Ah, a fellow well rounded man! I can empathise. When I got my tri suit - weighing 105kg's, with very broad shoulders from gym - I was like 'not a chance am I looking like a badly packed sausage in front of everyone, scare small animals and children etc'... Then I thought 'f*ck it', and wore it anyway. Let me tell you, there were lasses and lads wearing suits that made me look thin. Screw everyone else. You're doing an awesome thing for you, and truth be told, no one actually cares how you look.

*climbs off soapbox*

Right :

1) I don't know where you can get larger suits.

2) It's been scientifically proven that you expend less energy sitting on hills, than standing. At our weight, you will destroy your quads much quicker standing. But whatever you're more comfortable with, do that.

Good luck at Bela Bela - you and I can sit at the back and help each other. :D

Edited by Bodhi

If you sit try to keep the cadence up though, quads will still be destroyed if you don't have good tempo.

Keep good cadence - 90 + is best economy

Sit and develop a good rhythm

Don't rush it; take your time for an even pacing

Avoid surging

Stand every now and then if need be, but for short periods only like a few secs

Move forward on the saddle (known as tipping) to get more power through the stroke

Moving around in the saddle and slightly changing position can also help

Ah, a fellow well rounded man! I can empathise. When I got my tri suit - weighing 105kg's, with very broad shoulders from gym - I was like 'not a chance am I looking like a badly packed sausage in front of everyone, scare small animals and children etc'... Then I thought 'f*ck it', and wore it anyway. Let me tell you, there were lasses and lads wearing suits that made me look thin. Screw everyone else. You're doing an awesome thing for you, and truth be told, no one actually cares how you look.

*climbs off soapbox*

Right :

2) It's been scientifically proven that you expend less energy sitting on hills, than standing. At our weight, you will destroy your quads much quicker standing. But whatever you're more comfortable with, do that.

*climbs off soapbox*

Right :

You see my problem with the trisuit ia that I am not broad in the shoulders, my broadness is to be found a bit more south!

In the meantime I looked at the First Ascent trisuit because my First Ascent Cycling short is a XXL and comfy. So I will still look like a sausage but at least I will be comfortable.

I will try the advice in respect of climbing. Thanks

Now let me go and try to get into my wetsuit!

You see my problem with the trisuit ia that I am not broad in the shoulders, my broadness is to be found a bit more south!

In the meantime I looked at the First Ascent trisuit because my First Ascent Cycling short is a XXL and comfy. So I will still look like a sausage but at least I will be comfortable.

I will try the advice in respect of climbing. Thanks

Now let me go and try to get into my wetsuit!

I forgot to mention my broad midsection as well. Broad shoulders alone don't weight 105kg's. :D

its all about the journey.when i started i was 108kg.very self conscious on the first x terra so i hid with baggy clothes which was a bummer. 2 years later i am down to 86 and no longer care what people think.I found a local tannie who did some alterations to the biggest tri vest i could find.also had my vetsuite customed at coral to put more neoprene in on the upper body. As long as you are comfortable do not worry what others might think.above all enjoy your race.as for the standing most time in the saddle and only now and then standing.more to give my fat ass a rest than anything performance related.

Keep good cadence - 90 + is best economy

Sit and develop a good rhythm

Don't rush it; take your time for an even pacing

Avoid surging

Stand every now and then if need be, but for short periods only like a few secs

Move forward on the saddle (known as tipping) to get more power through the stroke

Moving around in the saddle and slightly changing position can also help

Definitely +1 on those but -

Optimal cadence is a function of mass as well, bigger legs will not spin as efficiently as smaller legs. So although there is a longer term benefit to riding at higher cadence, the upper limit of that is rider dependent.

I've looked at my and my team-mate's power data, where I can sit forever on 90-92rpm he climbs more comfortably at 83-85rpm.