Tubeless Conversion

osiris

Yup. Just pump them back up to 30 psi or so for the next few days and rotate regularly and all good.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after battling with the standard Stans Rim tape to seal my Hope Enduro Rims with my Nobbly Nic, I picked up some 1" Gorilla tape for R50 from Builders.

Sealed and tubeless within 10 min. Will not bother with the stans tape ever again.

Their sealant however does the job well!

Thanks very much, PlentiPotential

My wife is in town so asked her to stop in at the LBS.

She's picking up the Joe's conversion kit, which has everything you mentioned

So will be giving this another go tonight,

You guys reckon the tires are fine for this conversion? Is there nobody that has done the conversion with these tires and rims?

Then take the bike for a quik spin. When I did my conversion at the LBS they advised me to do that as sometimes the sealant does not take 100% and the best remedy is let the wheels do a few revolutions. Suppose doing a few revolutions using your hand will also work but dunno if it actually requires the pressure of human weight while riding.

Anyway take it for a ride. You want to anyway.

I bought a similair bike but asked the LBS to do the tubeless conversion for me.

The front wheel also kept deflating even after a couple of rides etc... Then took it back to the LBS and they in turn told me that the tire's (Schwalbe racing ralph) sidewall is defective. I must say the 27.5 is a hard tire to find a size for in my preferred tires (Continental Race KIng's), so I had to take the Schwalbe's.

Not impressed with the tire. So maybe check the sidewall if the kit does not work.

Sometimes the tyres just run down on the first fit.

I find that its only after the first ride that they seal 100%

...I had a similar problem and the issue I had was that the rim tape was damaged (a hole I made when I remove the tyre).

As for tyres. Your first set should not be Racing Ralphs or ICONS. Make your first set a set with proper traction and then as your skills grow you can go for a less grippy tyre. Aim for something like a Maix crossmark back and front. Rocket Rons and Maxis Argents also grip good but maybe a 2nd time tyre?

Unusual combination as most but the grippier tyre i.e. the mountain king on the front and the faster rolling tyre on the rear.

thought i was the only one noting this???

Schwalbe racing Ralph snakeskin rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin front would be my choice.

I dont know if this is general knowledge...the best way to start of before fitting tubeless tyres is to clean the inside surface of the tyre properly with thinners..it helpes the sealant stick..then fit them and add sealant..i fitted conti tyres that leaked through the sidewalls..nothing worked, stans included. I then discovered PS2 Tyre Fluid and tried it. It sealed both my wheels after the first ride..

I also had an issue when doing a conversion. If i kept the tyre upright, the pressure would hold for a few days. Transport them in the car lying down and the tyre deflated.

Pump them up again and they're fine now.

I tried the Gorilla tape route, works great as a ghetto tubeless system. Rubbed some sunlight liquid along the tyre bead of my Hans D and it slipped a popped nicely into place, there were bubbles, but the tyre sealed using a footpump. Did the whole rotate, shake, flip to get the sealant into everywhere.

Still good after a few months.

Got some very cheap Rider branded rim tape last week with some super cheap "kleppies" to redo the front tyre of mine that would not stop leaking. Redid the rimtape on Friday night. Attached the tyre to the rim and Sunday morning, Stans' sealant in, few pumps, few bubbles, pop and seal.

Job done. Still holding the pressure at the moment. Just one problem is that the presta adapter I use is kinda stuck to the valve at the moment. Still need to find my leatherman. I want to use the MTB to commute to work tomorrow (yes the road SS is a bit risky as the poepol in the mini bus showed me)

So will have to make plan to get the valve to stick. Not in the mood for Stans on everything...

• 2 weeks later...

Can I set up my Rapid Rob (wire bead, non tubeless) tyres as tubeless on my WTB frequency i19 rims (tubeless/ust compliant)? I am concerned the bead will struggle to seat in the rim "flange"

Can I set up my Rapid Rob (wire bead, non tubeless) tyres as tubeless on my WTB frequency i19 rims (tubeless/ust compliant)? I am concerned the bead will struggle to seat in the rim "flange"

Probably will be harder but definitely doable, you normally have to use a few tubeless tyre setting tricks, there's a good few and a solid extra dose of sealant never fails to help. Give it a try!

• 1 month later...

Get me one Bontrager Team XR-3 (68421)

Could not get this to get seated.  Not even with CO2 bombs (5 in total wasted)

So I found that the tire would not come close to the wall of the rim.  When I tried with CO2, it only blew out of 1000 places.  No amount of soap will help.

So here is my course of action.  Cleaned the rim.  I removed every trace of old sealant that I could find.  Took out the valve and replaced the rim tap.  Here is a major thing...  I used a double layer of tape.  I spotted some leakage from the one layer of rim tape.  Seems that the rim tape was damaged (either by myself or the use of a tube last week after some dwis decided to chuck blades onto a yellow lined area)

I tried the foot pump.  No luck.  Removed the core, no luck. But luck was on my side.  I saw that the bubbles were less this time.  It seemed that the bead was starting to move...  CO2 baby.  And a loud and clear POP.  It was seated.  3 Days of struggle to get the tire onto the rim.  

Euphoria overtook me.  Tears were streaming down my face.  Might be that or the ammonia....

• 6 months later...

I used this for the past 3 years. Works like  a charm.

I have Giant P-XC 2 rims with Racing Ralphs. They are very loose and easily peels off the rim. Inflating them after replacing the sealant (my own brew) is often a problem. The strap works well with it. Also if you need to inflate the tyre with a hand pump.