Brakes not really breaking

RussDix

But, as I said before - the problem is MOST PROBABLY air in the system AND improperly bedded pads.

I still think curiosity was the problem

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a recently serviced set of Juicy Threes (white in color, sans rotors) for sale. Make me an offer I can't refuse. :whistling:

Upgraded to an even better set of Avids, the Elixer R's.

Challenge:

Equal or better my Avid Elixr offer on the Avid Appreciation thread

:thumbup:

Disclaimers like "probably" doesn't get you off the hook. A contaminated brake will have exactly the same feel as a properly working one and there was no need to throw in solutions to other brake-related problems. The OP stated clearly what the symptoms are and deserves either a sensible answer or silence. Throwing a bunch of red herrings on the trail doesn't help him solve the problem nor does it help the understanding of hydraulic brakes.

Guys, give the poor oke a break and Johan please break down the problem of the broken brakes that arent braking before someone breaks a nail or something :P

Edited by avatar

Challenge:

Equal or better my Avid Elixr offer on the Avid Appreciation thread

:thumbup:

Lemme go and have a look.

Post # perhaps!?

I still think curiosity was the problem

Most probably. May have snagged something when installing the new pads. It's all conjecture unless someone actually has a look at them.

LOL. Sometimes, one has to bite back.

I bite lots of lip now days.

Last time I took bait I got sent to the naughty corner... for a MONTH!

Lemme go and have a look.

Post # perhaps!?

I've got some 2010 Avid's Elixir CR's* hardly used and new calipers (2010*) going for free:

1. To anyone who comes and fetches them.

2. Or pays for the postage.

3. Signs a free me from Liability agreement.

pm me if your interested and if serious I can post pics

*Edits

true that. But sometimes, the bait is so tasty!

I took it like a bulldog with his breakfast, snot and slobber everywhere

then I got a hoof in the arse from Admatt

Eish Planet Zug is far. How much would postage be? I'll aquire them for myself (future SS build) and then donate my Three's to droo.

Eish Planet Zug is far. How much would postage be? I'll aquire them for myself (future SS build) and then donate my Three's to droo.

Nooo :eek: i dont want them, I gave my Elixr CR's away already as per that post...check a few pages later...just give them to the first applicant who signs the indemnity form

Edited by SwissVan

Disc = non-compressable

Pads = non-compressable

Brake line = distortable depending on material but for the moment let's say non-compressable.

Brake fluid/mineral oil = non-compressable

A closed hydraulic system transmits force using a non-compressable fluid in a linear fashion.

So, lever force is transmitted along the brake line and moves the pads against the disc.

If there is air in the system it compresses and allows the lever to move without transmitting the force along the brake line.

Ergo there is air in your system. How it got there is another matter.

Disc = non-compressable

Pads = non-compressable

Brake line = distortable depending on material but for the moment let's say non-compressable.

Brake fluid/mineral oil = non-compressable

A closed hydraulic system transmits force using a non-compressable fluid in a linear fashion.

So, lever force is transmitted along the brake line and moves the pads against the disc.

If there is air in the system it compresses and allows the lever to move without transmitting the force along the brake line.

Ergo there is air in your system. How it got there is another matter.

Unless contaminated....my money will be on this

Unless contaminated....my money will be on this

Don't put too much money on it since contaminated brake fluid is still incompressible.

"Breaks not really breaking" is the thread title

Shouldnt it be braking?

Not being a tjop or anything, just spotted that the OP may be wanting to break his brakes which makes all of you wrong

EDIT: except Tankman. His advice was best, use hammer - which will break them :thumbup:

Edited by ChUkKy