nitrogen and stans

Jaco-fiets

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys! Is there a reaction between the 2 or is it fine using nitrogen in tires while using stans?

Normal Bombs and Stans = Snot Balls

Nitrogen is an inert gas and doesn't react with anything.

+1! That is why we sometimes use N2 as a co-feed to our slurry phase reactors when we evaluate catalyst performance. We know it will not affect the outcome of the test run.

Normal bombs are CO2 AFAIK.

Nitrogen is an inert gas and makes up 78% of dry air

What he said!

CO2 reacts with ammonia to produce urea. Nitrogen will not.

The answer is to take a tire for of Stan's and bomb it with a nitrogen source and see what happens.

If you don't post again within 48 hours we will know it was a fatal experience.

Fill a tire with air, and you are about 80% of the way there.... air being about 78% nitrogen....

Nitrogen will be way quicker, just make sure you double check the regulator before you pull the trigger. 2500psi will do some damage to your tyres (and rims, and ears...)

No issues with Stans, and it should in theory hold pressure for longer than air.

Can you buy Nitrogen bombs (like the normal CO2 bombs)?

Does the CO2 bomb negatively affect Stans because its CO2 or because of the temprature of the CO2 when its released into the tyre?

Ma se....

Gotta love Russians for a bit of video entertainment.

You can say that again. Truck rims are two-part affairs and it is quite common for them to separate upon inflation. Considering the high pressure these things require, it is a bomb in a workshop. Tyre workshops are supposed to inflate those tyres inside a cage of sorts. In the video I though the cage in the background was one and I wondered why he wasn't using it, until I noticed that it was a liquid container cage, not a tyre cage. People die from such accidents.

While filling up my bakkie this morning I noticed that they use nitrogen now instead of the normal air. Sometimes when I put new stan's in tires I take it there tot inflate quick. Reason for asking. Thanks guys!