Comrades 2015

RABUBI

Decided to go big next year so wrote in for IM and Comrades...

At least there's 2 months between them, so should have enough time to recover (I hope).

Interestingly, I see that a 4:40 IM marathon = a sub 4 standard marathon in terms of Comrades qualification.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never done it - I am keen to tackle this, will be nice to do the 90th edition, should be special.. then do 10 of them and do the 100th??

if you're really going for this then the 100th would be your 11th comrades, unless you wanna skip one year.

if you're really going for this then the 100th would be your 11th comrades, unless you wanna skip one year.

You've gotta have one in the back pocket just in case

• 4 weeks later...

anyone thought of when they are going to qualify yet? I'm looking for a mara around jan or feb latest but there doesnt seem to be anything?

Johnson Crane in Benoni is always the end of January (usually a week after 70.3) and the Vaal Marathon is a great flat fast one usually the end Feb/beginning March....  Both Well Organised Qualifiers

Johnson Crane in Benoni is always the end of January (usually a week after 70.3) and the Vaal Marathon is a great flat fast one usually the end Feb/beginning March....  Both Well Organised Qualifiers

Thanks bud thats perfect. Probably Johnson Crane then to allow for max rest. Beg march is getting a little closer than I'd like

Absolutely died this year, but will definitely back in 2015 to attempt the UP, and the double ..

Great atmosphere, Durban weather, and great Camaraderie!

Dad's keen, and he's turning 70!

10356226_10203889868477743_8709924435567

Thanks bud thats perfect. Probably Johnson Crane then to allow for max rest. Beg march is getting a little closer than I'd like

I've done the Vaal Marathon as my last long run before Both my IMSA's, and both my IMSA's 6 weeks before both my Comrades (Up and Down)

Found the Gap from last long run to IMSA (6 weeks) fine

And the Gap from IMSA to Comrades first time was fine, but the next year I fitted Sani2c in the Gap in between only 12 days out from Comrades and that hurt me on my UP run.

Edited by Ferret69

I've done the Vaal Marathon as my last long run before Both my IMSA's, and both my IMSA's 6 weeks before both my Comrades (Up and Down)

Found the Gap from last long run to IMSA (6 weeks) fine

And the Gap from IMSA to Comrades first time was fine, but the next year I fitted Sani2c in the Gap in between only 12 days out from Comrades and that hurt me on my UP run.

If it was just a long run then ya no issue I'd enter the Vaal but I'm planning on running it hard to try and get a good seeding so 6 weeks from a hard effort on the mara isnt enough for me.

PTA marathon (also in March) is always a good qualifier.

Double lap with some nice hills make it a good indicator of early fitness.

I have done the Pick n Pay marathon a couple times through Edenvale which is not too bad, I think the race is around the end of Jan beginning of Feb.

To be honest I am not sure what the big deal is with people pushing to get one seeding better.

I didn't think it made much of a difference on the up run with the wide start in Durban.

Just check the Nedbank runners guide where they rate all the races or chat to your club members on which are the easiest qualifiers.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Have entered a few weeks ago! Will be my first. Doing South Coast Marathon this weekend as my qualifier.

Have entered a few weeks ago! Will be my first. Doing South Coast Marathon this weekend as my qualifier.

Whew..getting it under the belt nice and early...I'm still working up to marathon distance...been doing 20 odds on the weekend currently

What kind of mileage are people putting in at this stage?...I'm averaging between 40 and 50 ks or just over 4 hours as week...usually with a ride on the Saturday or the Sunday

Whew..getting it under the belt nice and early...I'm still working up to marathon distance...been doing 20 odds on the weekend currently

What kind of mileage are people putting in at this stage?...I'm averaging between 40 and 50 ks or just over 4 hours as week...usually with a ride on the Saturday or the Sunday

At the moment the training has been focused solely on triathlon so pretty close to your numbers. Next 3 weeks will be dedicated to W2W so I'll only really ramp up in Nov/Dec.