Comrades 2015

RABUBI

I injured my ankle over the weekend. A grade 2 sprain, light ligament damage. I am now off training for 4 weeks and wearing a gell brace. After the break there will be about 10 weeks left to Comrades. Do you guys think that is enough time to get ready or should I give up on it and focus on something else. My general fitness is good. I train the whole year round, mostly for triathlons and did the 70.3 in January.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I injured my ankle over the weekend. A grade 2 sprain, light ligament damage. I am now off training for 4 weeks and wearing a gell brace. After the break there will be about 10 weeks left to Comrades. Do you guys think that is enough time to get ready or should I give up on it and focus on something else. My general fitness is good. I train the whole year round, mostly for triathlons and did the 70.3 in January.

My guess is cross train by swimming and see how your feel when you return to running. Plan to run a marathon beginning of April and use that as a guide.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran my first marathon on Sunday and am very pleased with my progress. Ran a 3:37..so that's a C batch for me. Have the Maritzburg marathon to look forward to on the 22nd

Stretch, how was your pmb marathon?

Stretch, how was your pmb marathon?

went fine...did a 3:33...but had started getting sick the night before..so first 5km's were a bit funny and then got myself right..got major man flu almost immediately after finishing which I have just got over today. My average HR for the marathon was 157..so was the impending flu was evident while i was running

Good work stretch. Just suffering some mild itb at the moment so I'm stressing/very excited for Sunday (Vaal marathon). Will be my first mara and last chance to qualify for two oceans.

I am doing the Sarens marathon this weekend, has anyone done this race before?

I cant seem to find an accurate profile anywhere, I would like to see what the total accent is.

Any advice on how to pace myself on this route for a pb would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

hows everyone's training going? i'm currently sitting on about 920km this year...which equates to approximately 70km per week. Been resting up Wed Thurs Fri this week and I can feel my body physically healing...hope its gonna help for Saturday ...

anyone joining me in Bergville on Saturday?

Edited by Stretch

during the last 8km of Oceans last week I said to myself: "I am so glad I did not enter Comrades"

during the last 8km of Oceans last week I said to myself: "I am so glad I did not enter Comrades"

lol...from that point on it all becomes mental

• 4 weeks later...

I am supporting the wife at Comrades this year. Any suggestions on spectator spots out there where it won't be to busy (my 2 yr and 4yr old is spending the day with me)?

Was hoping to get to spots at about 25km, halfway and 70km where one can park close to the action.

Any ideas/help will be appreciated 

I am supporting the wife at Comrades this year. Any suggestions on spectator spots out there where it won't be to busy (my 2 yr and 4yr old is spending the day with me)?

Was hoping to get to spots at about 25km, halfway and 70km where one can park close to the action.

Any ideas/help will be appreciated 

The 2 times I have followed my wife on the up run I drop her at the start and then aim to see her at 2 places before the finish. More than 2 places becomes difficult due to delays in traffic etc.... After dropping her at the start I went straight to Hillcrest, get there early find parking, coffee, breakfast and wait for the first runners and then wife. Then head back onto the M13 and go to Camperdown or Catoridge. MAke sure you still have enough time to get to the finish in time to see wife finish...not going to be impressed if you don't make it in time to see that.  

Don't think because you are driving it will be quicker, traffic jams, walking long distance to and from parking, trying to find a good spot etc... eat up a lot of your time.

TIP: Agree on a procedure at the finish i.e. exactly where you will meet and how you will contact one another if you don't find each other... only thing worse than you loosing them at the finish is not seeing them finish....

The 2 times I have followed my wife on the up run I drop her at the start and then aim to see her at 2 places before the finish. More than 2 places becomes difficult due to delays in traffic etc.... After dropping her at the start I went straight to Hillcrest, get there early find parking, coffee, breakfast and wait for the first runners and then wife. Then head back onto the M13 and go to Camperdown or Catoridge. MAke sure you still have enough time to get to the finish in time to see wife finish...not going to be impressed if you don't make it in time to see that.  

Don't think because you are driving it will be quicker, traffic jams, walking long distance to and from parking, trying to find a good spot etc... eat up a lot of your time.

TIP: Agree on a procedure at the finish i.e. exactly where you will meet and how you will contact one another if you don't find each other... only thing worse than you loosing them at the finish is not seeing them finish....

Just watch out for the traffic jam at the Lion Park off ramp - it normally brings the N3 to a standstill

Thanks for the suggestions ... how did you guys arrange meeting up at the finish? Haven't been there before - any beacons/gates?

at least I know where my family will be...camped out on Jesmond road with 3ks to go

How's everyone's taper going...mines been torrid with ITB striking at 11th hour...managed to fit in 290km in April but it was very erratic since the 11th....and May..only done 50km so far

Biokentikist has been an eye opening experience and hopefully will set me straight by the 31st (at a cost though i might add!). I recommend every runner go see one at some stage..very interesting what he discovers