Thule rip-off

CleatsnCleavage

In December 2013 I bought a Thule frame adaptor bar model 982 so that I could fit my new duel-sus bike onto my Saris Bones rack. It cost me R290.

Yesterday, at the same shop, the same piece of metal/steel is now R450. In other words, it has increased in price by around 50%, in less than a year. (there is also a flimsy looking model, the 981, for R350)

Now I know the interest rate fluctuates and I understand price increases, but this is a little bloody ridiculous, IMHO.

Any other suggestions for this gadget? Been told that Sportsmans Warehouse has something similar but of course would rather spend the money and know that my bike is not going to fall off the car...

It may be a rip off but atleast it wont rip off the car......... har har

But yes i agree, any bike carrier is retardedly expensive - in some cases more expensive than the bike its carrying ! (The irony)

Can't answer your question

But based on your endorsement I have had my firs CBC this past weekend... Bloody marvelous!

Maybe have a couple and a solution will surface? or have some more and the price wont be that ridiculous :clap:

All I have to offer

In December 2013 I bought a Thule frame adaptor bar model 982 so that I could fit my new duel-sus bike onto my Saris Bones rack. It cost me R290.

Yesterday, at the same shop, the same piece of metal/steel is now R450. In other words, it has increased in price by around 50%, in less than a year. (there is also a flimsy looking model, the 981, for R350)

Now I know the interest rate fluctuates and I understand price increases, but this is a little bloody ridiculous, IMHO.

Any other suggestions for this gadget? Been told that Sportsmans Warehouse has something similar but of course would rather spend the money and know that my bike is not going to fall off the car...

Did you take into account the likely affect of the R/$ exchange rate...

Our government hasn't exactly been doing us any favours when it comes to imported goods :whistling:

Thule 3 bike tow hitch carrier with drop down feature=9k

http://www.bicycling...2/#!prettyPhoto

Can carry 3 bikes weighing not more than 25kg each?what bikes are they loading lol.

Buzzrack with the same features but a 4 bike carrier=5.3k

Can carry 4 bikes not more than 15kg each which makes sense lol

http://www.bicycling...ck-for-you-2/6/

http://buzzrack.com/...bike-carrier-2/

Just plain damn crazy.

SAY NO MORE!

Edited by feetup

Please change the thread title, as Andrew said, the government is also involved

i dont think thats bad at all, as said before, rand euro :eek: things go up, every time i fill my car up i dont say petrol used to be X now its X2 ,,,,,LABOUR COSTS,ELECTRICITY,someone has to pay, these costs/over heads cant simply be absorbed

The December item could have been in the shop for more than 12 months, so look at the exchange rate 12 to 24 months prior to purchase. Often shops do not update their prices on low volume items with a weakening rand or when they get updated pricing from the supplier. They should though, as the market perceives the sudden change in price as very negative. Thule also does not have control over shop mark-ups and pricing policy, so it is a bit unfair to blame Thule / their local agents as the shop also plays a part here.