Two guards on both side of the road / Kayamandi, Stellenbosch

JohanC

Saw they are monitoring Eden as well at the moment, a guy at the gate and a bakkie doing patrols around the area

Guards...on bikes?

Obviously bought at Game otherwise they'd soon be foot patrolling. But it is good for cycling - sad for the direction this country is heading further in every day.

We had a flat in the group this morning at the camera in Kayamandi, heading into Stellenbosch.

Within a minute there were two guards on bikes, both side of the road.

Thumbs up!!! :thumbup:

Please PM me a number - the local paper would like to offer their readers an update, from the cyclists' view, too.

We went past there on Saturday at about 08h00 when 'Dale :whistling: had a flat. This was only about 2 km past the Filling station in the direction of Stellies.There were 8 of us in the group, but while we were busy sorting out the flat, a white Bantam / Rustler bakkie with CL reg stopped the other side of the road. He sat there until we got going again, when he only moved off. I still remarked that it must be patrolling bakkie.

If it was, (and not a potential jacker waiting to see if we are going to abandon the stricken 'Dale), big kudos to them for being proactive.

this makes me nauseous - do we really need armed guards to be able to ride our bikes safely in broad daylight?

Nonky, it is really getting out of hand on this stretch of road, a route used by hundreds of cyclists per day.

Something had to be done.