Winning a prize from overseas, Duty paid?

deanbean

I won a prize from Peloton Magazine, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

post-2975-0-62390400-1408386787_thumb.jpg

The prize is coming from Assos in Italy, do I have to pay duty on the clothes?

I THINK : If it is marked as a gift- maybe, or a flat rate depending on value. If it is marked as clothes/ cycling clothes - for sure (and lots). I had to pay on CD's sent as a gift. Congrats though!!!

Edited by TALUS

I dont know but if u have to pay, they will charge u 45% of the products... so.. -0-;;;;;;;;;;

And if I were u, I would pay that tax and get the stuff hahahaha

One could have it delivered to a mate in the UK that will be coming for a visit soon. If he was to bring it in for his own use (being a cyclist and all...) no duties will be payable.

Why on earth would you have to pay duty on a prize ? Surely when they ship the goods it will have a zero commercial value on the invoice and at very least indicate it is a gift or a prize. I'd be real pissed off if I ended up paying duty.

If you get to know your suppliers overseas they start doing you favours like dropping the commercial value on the invoice :whistling:

If you get to know your suppliers overseas they start doing you favours like dropping the commercial value on the invoice :whistling:

That's called fraud.

The rules are pretty clear, you are only allowed a certain amount of "gift" imports a year, and the value can't exceed a certain amount.

guys its simple. if its a prize and marked as a prize it is not taxable. unless of course it is in your usual business interests.

i professional gambler will pay tax on his winnings. joe soap who wins the lotto wont.

That's called fraud.

The rules are pretty clear, you are only allowed a certain amount of "gift" imports a year, and the value can't exceed a certain amount.

Go tell teacher

guys its simple. if its a prize and marked as a prize it is not taxable. unless of course it is in your usual business interests.

i professional gambler will pay tax on his winnings. joe soap who wins the lotto wont.

Thanks, I hope so, wouldn't mind some Assos gear

Deanbean. You give me the prize and I'll pay the duty. I am a serious brand slut. :thumbup: :clap: Let me know! :whistling: :D

You may get a PM :ph34r: :whistling:

Spoke to the couriers today. They say I shouldn't have to pay duties. Hope the SARS official who processes my parcel is in a good mood.

Spoke to the couriers today. They say I shouldn't have to pay duties. Hope the SARS official who processes my parcel is in a good mood.

Lets hope it arrives on their desk on Thursday 13:15 after lunch, sunny day and got lucky the night before.

Holding thumbs

Friend of mine sent me 6 garments with DHL and attached no value to parcel as it was a gift. DHL sent me an email saying that they took the liberty of clearing my parcel for me at customs and I owed them over R800. I tried to argue it was a gift, to no avail.